Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 bus disc brake conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67bus350
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: 67 bus disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have quite a gem, for the purists, you may hate me, but i DID NOT do the conversion, I'm working on a 67 bus right now and the owner/friend wants disc brakes on it at a reasonable cost, the current set up is stock on the front the rear is drum but not vw..lol....this bus sports a chev 350 so needless to say it needs more stopping power, What do I need to do the conversion and where can I get all the stuff at a reasonable price?? please don't flame me to hard Laughing
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search you'll see that this has been covered several times on the split bus thread. What I did was pulled a set of Porsche 944 brakes from a junkyard, clean them up, bought new rotors and pads locally. Then I got a caliper mount and spacer kit to run them on stock bus spindles from Russ at OldSpeed. I think the kit was around $200. If you can change bearings you can install this kit.

http://www.oldspeed.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67bus350
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILLERWATT wrote:
If you do a search you'll see that this has been covered several times on the split bus thread. What I did was pulled a set of Porsche 944 brakes from a junkyard, clean them up, bought new rotors and pads locally. Then I got a caliper mount and spacer kit to run them on stock bus spindles from Russ at OldSpeed. I think the kit was around $200. If you can change bearings you can install this kit.

http://www.oldspeed.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I have done a search but I keep seeing "there are many ways to skin a cat" ect ect but no real complete lists.....in fact I looked at this kit : http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_m...0&all=
The guy wants power brakes so I need a booster also, in fact I have even spoke with wolfgang international and they have a kit and for other needed parts, he put me on to a vw bone yard in montana, my tech ability is ummm...lets just say above par for this task. I was just looking for people to chime in with "the different ways to skin a cat"........so I can present the options to my friend/customer without breaking the bank......the conversion must be disc in the front and have power brakes = the requirements, thanks for the tid bit of info you have provided thus far Smile
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Disc Brakes! Reply with quote

Ronnie at BUSTORATIONS has a kit from SACO that I am using and I love it. plus its a 4 piston caliper CNC machined set up which is good. Ronnie is a great guy with alot of knowledge on these breaks and can help you out.
here is the link:
http://www.bustoration.com/Disc-Brake-kit-1955-to-1962-bus-front-4-piston-caliper_p_1765.html
Give him a call he can help you with more tech support if needed.
Good Luck, Peter Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67bus350
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brakes! Reply with quote

GERMANAIRE wrote:
Ronnie at BUSTORATIONS has a kit from SACO that I am using and I love it. plus its a 4 piston caliper CNC machined set up which is good. Ronnie is a great guy with alot of knowledge on these breaks and can help you out.
here is the link:
http://www.bustoration.com/Disc-Brake-kit-1955-to-1962-bus-front-4-piston-caliper_p_1765.html
Give him a call he can help you with more tech support if needed.
Good Luck, Peter Cool
thanks Peter, I'll do that!! are you using a brake booster also???
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No just a Master Cylinder. But trust me it stops. I guess with the extra weight of the big engine you may need one specially if the customer is asking, you have to give them what they want. Good Luck and post some pics, Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67bus350 wrote:
The guy wants power brakes so I need a booster also, in fact I have even spoke with wolfgang international and they have a kit and for other needed parts, he put me on to a vw bone yard in montana, my tech ability is ummm...lets just say above par for this task. I was just looking for people to chime in with "the different ways to skin a cat"........so I can present the options to my friend/customer without breaking the bank......the conversion must be disc in the front and have power brakes = the requirements, thanks for the tid bit of info you have provided thus far Smile

There are no pre-made kits that have a power booster. You will have to make your own setup for that. My opinion, though, is that he should try it without a booster before going to the trouble of fitting one. I've got a 944 disc brake setup just like KILLERWATT, and I don't feel that a booster is needed.
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 944 set up on all 4's, master cylinder as well. I concur, there is no need for a power booster. I'm not fully convinced that I even needed the rears.

I am currently building a bay with 944/wilwood up front and stock drums out back. Im sure it will be plenty.
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

I think there is also a way to use a 68 beam and later model vw bus disk brakes. I think the front end needs to be dropped because it sits too high. Well, all of that is if my memory is correct. I am only mentioning this because maybe you have access to breadbox parts. I'm sure 944 is a much better system.
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

I think there is also a way to use a 68 beam and later model vw bus disk brakes. I think the front end needs to be dropped because it sits too high. Well, all of that is if my memory is correct. I am only mentioning this because maybe you have access to breadbox parts. I'm sure 944 is a much better system.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one way to do it. Use a 68/69/70 bus beam with stock disc brake spindles. This will allow for the stock late bus master cylinder and disc brakes. A vacuum line will have to be run all the way back to the engine and tapped onto the intake manifold, though.
67bus350
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
67bus350 wrote:

There are no pre-made kits that have a power booster. You will have to make your own setup for that. My opinion, though, is that he should try it without a booster before going to the trouble of fitting one. I've got a 944 disc brake setup just like KILLERWATT, and I don't feel that a booster is needed.
so what are all the parts needed for the 944 swap and hwere can one get all the stuff??
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67bus350 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
67bus350 wrote:

so what are all the parts needed for the 944 swap and hwere can one get all the stuff??

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=488925

That's the brackets/bearings spacers you need. You need the hubs/rotors and calipers from a NON-turbo 944. Use good quality (i.e. new german) disc brake bay window rubber brake lines. And you'll have to either use a late bay master cylinder or modify the master cylinder presently on your bus. Give Russel at Old Speed (company selling the parts in the ad above) a call if you have any questions and he can walk you through the whole setup and answer any questions you have.
Gmiee5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

944 brakes look great

What is the different in the offset from stock?

Where can I find an adapter from Porsche to VW 5 Lug?
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmiee5 wrote:
Where can I find an adapter from Porsche to VW 5 Lug?

Samba user ratlookvw was having them made and selling them last I heard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rode in a bus once with power brakes barley touch them you think your gunna go through the winsheild
67bus350
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
67bus350 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
67bus350 wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=488925

That's the brackets/bearings spacers you need. You need the hubs/rotors and calipers from a NON-turbo 944. Use good quality (i.e. new german) disc brake bay window rubber brake lines. And you'll have to either use a late bay master cylinder or modify the master cylinder presently on your bus. Give Russel at Old Speed (company selling the parts in the ad above) a call if you have any questions and he can walk you through the whole setup and answer any questions you have.

HEY thanks Andrew, this has been a help and a cost effective solution too, how well or noticable is the difference in stopping power with this kit?? what I guess I mean , how much effort do you have to apply to the pedal?? currently you have to stand on this bus kinda hard and a panic stop..lol forget it.
Augsburg57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Creative Engineering Servo Kit Reply with quote

I've eyed this brake servo kit from Creative Engineeringin the UK (see link) and wondered how it would work in my '67 split bus. I have the CSP disc brake kit, as it works with my stock 14" wheels. They work very well, but pedal pressure is a little high, but not a big deal. Creative Engineering has two versions of the servo kit - both "Direct" and "Indirect" versions.

http://www.creative-engineering.com/index.php?opti...;Itemid=26
67bus350
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Creative Engineering Servo Kit Reply with quote

Augsburg57 wrote:
I've eyed this brake servo kit from Creative Engineeringin the UK (see link) and wondered how it would work in my '67 split bus. I have the CSP disc brake kit, as it works with my stock 14" wheels. They work very well, but pedal pressure is a little high, but not a big deal. Creative Engineering has two versions of the servo kit - both "Direct" and "Indirect" versions.

http://www.creative-engineering.com/index.php?opti...;Itemid=26
so do you have an idea of what it'd take to install it on a 67?? is it a direct bolt in ? or fab work required??
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are for sale if yoiu are interested:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1088396
Good Luck! with your build. Very Happy Wink Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: