Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia gray water storage tank?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4birds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Westfalia gray water storage tank? Reply with quote

I just purchased an '86 Westy. The owner showed me what he called a gray water tank on the under side of the van just behind the driver's seat. He said he just opened the cap and let used sink water drain onto the ground. I cannot find a reference to this tank in the owner's manual (maybe I should look again). Is it really a gray water storage tank? If so, how much does it hold?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it wasn't sold originally in the USA....

It was made by Rhein Conti.

It's about 20L if I recall.

Sink drains into it,it's meant to be this way,then you can empty it in your neighbour's swimming pool Laughing

I bought one from Germany,Eurocampers used to have them in stock years ago,not anymore.
I'm gonna use it as fresh water,I detoured the sink hose on the side,it takes the elbow pretty well,tight,but it works.

Bye!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5195025&showprevnext=1

Vanagon 45L Grey or Fresh Water Tank

Quote:
45 liter tank for 1980 - 1991 Vanagon. Tank can be used for fresh or grey water. Fits between the frame rails and will not hinder ground clearance. Cleaning hole Ø 150 mm with screw cap. 2 socket, Ø 40 mm, closed at the top, flush with the top edge. When used as a holding tank you need a drain tap.

Does not include instructions or mounting hardware. You can use carriage bolts or metal straps to mount. Drain or water hose and clamps are available at most RV, Marine, or Home Depot stores. Drain tap sold separately.

Imported. Usually ships by the next business day. Please allow 1-5 additonal business days for delivery to most US addresses.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali

Last edited by madspaniard on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's simply a straight vertical pipe with a threaded end, then there's no storage tank. The water drains directly from the sink through that pipe. There are a few different ideas for a gray water storage tank though. Perhaps you have one of these professionally designed tanks? See in the attached link.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279492&highlight=gray+water+tank
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out Of Stock. Sad

There is another, smaller version, about 1/3 the size. Looks identical, same manufacturer, just shorter. I picked one up on Ebay a few years ago.

Or, make your own from large-bore PVC pipe;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4567874

madspaniard wrote:
http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5195025&showprevnext=1

Vanagon 45L Grey or Fresh Water Tank

Quote:
45 liter tank for 1980 - 1991 Vanagon. Tank can be used for fresh or grey water. Fits between the frame rails and will not hinder ground clearance. Cleaning hole Ø 150 mm with screw cap. 2 socket, Ø 40 mm, closed at the top, flush with the top edge. When used as a holding tank you need a drain tap.

Does not include instructions or mounting hardware. You can use carriage bolts or metal straps to mount. Drain or water hose and clamps are available at most RV, Marine, or Home Depot stores. Drain tap sold separately.

Imported. Usually ships by the next business day. Please allow 1-5 additonal business days for delivery to most US addresses.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
Or, make your own from large-bore PVC pipe;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4567874

This sort of setup offers MANY advantages.

For me, it embodies the best of Vanagon cheapness.

It is reproducible - no need to be stuck with something you can not replace.

You can use several for various needs. No need to be limited to one in one spot only.

One use, is to make a foot wash system to get the sand of the kids feet at the beach.

It is really cool. If damaged you just go to Homie Despot and make another. (Or in my case, my buddy has some surplus material from an industrial project.....I just need to make it happen now.)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foot wash at the beach idea is pretty good, but old gray water can be pretty stinky.

I am curious as to why you guys want gray water tanks in the first place though.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
The foot wash at the beach idea is pretty good, but old gray water can be pretty stinky.

I am curious as to why you guys want gray water tanks in the first place though.

Put fresh tap water in it. Use a hose bib to dispense it with. One on each side of the van. One grey. One fresh. What ever. Lots of options....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some locations any used water (dishes, teeth, face, etc) must be contained and is called 'grey water'. They got so tough with boaters that you had to have a system installed to prove you were doing it. I think it will happen to RVers too.

Another option is large bore black plastic pipe carried along the passenger top edge and it heats up in the sun and Voila shower.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

This sort of setup offers MANY advantages.

One use, is to make a foot wash system to get the sand of the kids feet at the beach.

I have a foot wash system using fresh water --- I have a second pump in my fresh water tank. Via the rear hatch I have a rocker switch for the pump and a coiled hose and sprayer that I keep in the space under the rear cabinet. This is essentially the same system found in the EV.

Turn on the pump, press the button on the sprayer --- beach wash!!!

Also - some campgrounds require a gray tank if you're just staying overnight in their "transient" parking area. The idea is that you're "self contained" and will not use the showers/bathrooms that the "full price" campers are paying for. They will also want to make sure you have a porta-potty.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put this Westy gray water by the propane tank too.
Not connected yet,I want to fill it via the inside tank by gravity,like this no need to add a filler.

I also put recently (didn't put pics on my van topic yet) a 63L tank ordered from Germany.Eurocampers can get it too on special order,but commissions and shipping makes it too expensive...
A friend brought it to me on the plane from France,I just paid airplane fees Wink

I modified one of the corner so it could fit the under chassis like this one does (60L, Reimo,put way too expensive http://www.reimo.com/en/61002-frisch_und_abwassertank_vwt2_60l/ )

They also sell this one,the one I got:130X27x18. http://www.reimo.com/en/M61121-universal_water_tank/ made by http://www.vecam.it/it/prodotti

I tryied and failed to push one of the corners in with the heat gun,ended up making a mess fixed with cutting board patches.
If I had that before,it was easy to cut the corner and reshape a new one with heat gun and cutting boards....easy to hot weld.
Now it fits under the chassis,when I'll put in in the syncro,I'll use the 2WD gas filler neck with cap to fill it.Right temporary filler.
I connected that to a city water hook up (removed the useless electrical hook up:I never go to plug my van in a camp ground Rolling Eyes ),popped the check valve ball inside,put a switch and a in-tank pump:now I have shower for surfing Wink Almost 63L,soon to be solar heated.

Is there a good website for RV stuff in the USA? I can only find stuff for big white rigs,but never has many accessories for do it yourselflike in Europe Crying or Very sad

I tryied so hard to find a universal tank like the one I got too,impossible Mad

Bye!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
wooden nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a cheapskate. I bought a hose adapter and a short piece of hose. I run it into a collapsible 5 gallon jug set on the ground. It holds a plenty for my use and doesn't take up much space.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickel wrote:
I'm a cheapskate. I bought a hose adapter and a short piece of hose. I run it into a collapsible 5 gallon jug set on the ground. It holds a plenty for my use and doesn't take up much space.

Ditto; if there are no gray water restrictions, I just use a 10' foot hose. Although, in the future I may go the PVC pipe route; that's a pretty slick invention.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickel wrote:

Shoot... I just use a 1 gallon bucket that I picked up at The GoodWill for $.99

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF grey water regulations are in affect a bucket, hose, jug will not pass muster. It must be a fixed self contained unit. I'm not saying you have to set a system up now, I'm just letting you know about what will be. I don't have anything right now and I had planned to use a bucket and empty it down a toilet when I empty my LL. But I guess I'll have to concoct something. I've always just used a bucket or a dish pan with water that I heated on my BBQ or fire in a pot. I am trying to find a screw on top for my water drain (from sink).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
IF grey water regulations are in affect a bucket, hose, jug will not pass muster. It must be a fixed self contained unit.

Fully enclosed, sealed (with a cap), collapsible 5-gallon container works just dandy. I've used it several times where gray water containment restrictions were in effect and had zero issues. All of those places only cared about said gray water not being dumped onto the ground; they all simply required the water be contained and disposed of in a proper place.

I did a quick search regarding gray water containment regulations; the only EPA rules I could find were for water-going vessels. In fact, there's a company making portable gray water holding tanks for RVs and tent campers.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a local RV shop and bought a small blue tank for Gray Water. It works as it
should, vented when hooked up so there's no back up into the sink. Pretty rigid
plastic tank too, so it can take some punishment. I bought it for when we go to the
commercial CG's that do not allow the dumping of Gray Water on the ground.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
wooden nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kam,
Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose should have added that I have 2 lids for my collapsible jug and one is drilled for the hose.
Brevity is the height of confusion, I guess.
I have been to several state and federal parks where they were quite touchy about grey water spillage but they never said a word about my crappy set up. It's homely but works effectively.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep good info. I'll play Devil's Advocate here re bucket. Okay you have to use it but there is no place to dump it, are you going to travel with an open bucket? perhaps a pail with a lid would be a good choice, could get it free and no taxes at some kind of restaurant. Just saying. What do the Boy Scouts always say "Be prepared". Smile

Woodennickel I too used that system for fresh water for my head sink. Also it is good for fresh water as well.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

If you live/camp in Grizzly Bear country it's very important to not leave any type of food/smelly stuff on the ground when you go to bed. In that case you would want to containerize your grey water and either dispose of it down a drain later on or pour it into a fire pit before lighting your evening campfire.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: