Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New london county or Groton CT?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: New london county or Groton CT? Reply with quote

does anyone live in new london county or groton i have just gotten orders up there and was intrested in some info and VW type stuff thats around that rea should be there in OCT of this year. currently in Norfolk VA
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are the girls from

Norfolk Norfolk

We dont smoke drink

Norfolk Norfolk...
MAYHEM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure do. I live right in Groton. There are couple around here. You won't see many. PM me, if you'd like, when you get up here.

johnnypan wrote:
I digitize myself in the privacy of my own home.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
We are the girls from
Norfolk Norfolk
We dont smoke drink
Norfolk Norfolk...

My dad went to HS there in the late 40's- I always heard it as
"We dont drink, we dont smoke
Norfolk, Norfolk"

Otherwise- Conecticut VW Association has some organized activities www.ctvwa.org. The fall cruise is nice.
There are the shows at Litchfield and Terryville as well
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAYHEM wrote:
Sure do. I live right in Groton. There are couple around here. You won't see many. PM me, if you'd like, when you get up here.

X2. i live in the Mystic area. and mayhem is right, you wont see many. hummm come to thing of it there is a blue bug on 184 in stonington...wonder if they belong to the site Think

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cfvwtuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get up to CT check us out http://www.ctvwa.org
We're still active in October. We have our year end cruise, we also cruise up to Boston for Transporterfest.

Good Luck on the move
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just trying to get a personal insight on the area from like minded VW nuts. the navy is pumping tons of info but not what i am looking for now. is the housing worth it or should i look away from base? kinda stuff and thanks for the link on the club i will check it out. Razz
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a VW club based around the Base, it is gone but there is still some hidden and known people around. There is a few on base now. There is a independent, a small chain, and a large foreign chain parts place all near the base for parts (small chain right across the street).

Litchfield and Terryville are great shows that many will be jealous that you will be so close.

As far as housing, the base buildings are what I believe is the normal type but they have been building new housing that should be done by now. The area around is wide ranges of prices, You can get slum like to multi million dollar housing. There is an onsite garage for DIY repairs on base for you to use, I got to do a rescue up there. Decent setup with lifts if needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would it be reasonable to find a house for rent w/ garage for about 1200 a month within 45mins of the Naval Base? decent area? i'm not trying to live within site of the base and i want to avoid base housing due to them taking the entire allowance i'm making money living off base here but i can handle breaking even to live without the housing restrictions. like no car painting in the garage. the base hobby shops are usually really good but they are starting to get strict on a lot of stuff (mainly because ppl don't learn or listen to good sense). they took the welders out down here because some guy got bad flash burn from not using a welding hood........... Some ppls kids. as for driving to shows i am ok with that i usually drive down to Farmington and manasas for those shows. i'll be heading up there for house hunting leave in aug or sept after my deployment but my wife and i are getting everything sorted out to make the move easier. No kids not concerned for schools i just have the wife, the mistress (ACVW), and 2 rabbits to worry over.
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_whingnut wrote:
So would it be reasonable to find a house for rent w/ garage for about 1200 a month within 45mins of the Naval Base? decent area?

well, sort of. take a look around at the towns that you may be interested in living in. i can tell you this:

norwich
taftville
greenville
baltic
occum
new london
(parts of) groton
jewett city

all shit holes. well, not THAT bad, but i would not want to ever live there. most of that list is old 'mill towns' which is pretty much on the lower end of the food chain (as far as people go)

i would look for a place in:

griswold
lisbon
franklin
bozrah
salem
preston
ledyard (which can be dumpy in some parts)

just a short list. if you give me a street address in any of the towns listed (or others) i could tell you if i would live there or not. now, take it with a grain of salt, as i pretty much hate people being too close to me (nosy neighbors) but some towns are really just better to live in

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Ledyard 30 years ago, does that count? It couldn't have changed that much. Spiro's Pizza is still around, right? I think even the go-kart track is still open.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeckler wrote:
I lived in Ledyard 30 years ago, does that count? It couldn't have changed that much. Spiro's Pizza is still around, right? I think even the go-kart track is still open.

gone and i think the cart track may (barely) be open

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
ragtopbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Mystic, might see my bug around this summer (1972 standard) and that old Kartway place is still going.
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha (kinda) sucks about Spiro's. I remember there was a bit of public controversy when the OG location burned down and they moved further down Rt. 12. I think it tarnished his reputation. I thought their pizza was pretty good. I was only about 9 years old at the time though.
Does the kart place still have the batting cages and serve soft-serve icecream?
My oldest brother tried to steal a kart by driving it through the fence. He made it about a half mile up Christy Hill Rd before he was caught. It didn't help that was dark.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info i'm under way right now so i'll see if my wonderful wife will look the towns over.
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
ragtopbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batting cages are still around but I don't know if the guy is running them still. Last I heard he closed the icecream part for now.
That kart story is funny. My dad worked at Kartway when he was 13 ages ago.
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something i need to ask.....

is a gas heater a good idea?

does the carwashes have sprayers for under the car?
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some that do run gas heaters, that said I used to daily drive aircooled and had a fan booster in my Bus and nothing but stock in my Bug. Dressed warm (insulated coveralls) and go. Of course my boss that I gave rides to cause his Trans Am did not go well in the snow complained that it was warmer snowmobiling in Maine.

I know there was some car washes that had undercarriage washes, I use the DYI bays so I can't tell you if there is some still around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper working gas heater, will run you out of the car.
You will not need your insulated coveralls.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of gas heater could i find to fit my car? 65 sunroof beetle. now how is the cruising up there in CT? i love driving in VA out from the main roads anything like that in the North. I should have my heater channels replaced and in good workign order by the move. I was playing with the idea of heat boosters.

what about tires? would i need to change over to a winter tire? or could i use an all season? I'm from Tn so i have never dealt with the winters up there.
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: