Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you do about knee pain?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: What do you do about knee pain? Reply with quote

What have doctors told you?

Anybody used glucosamine? Doctor recommended it.

The knees sometimes make it hard to work on the bug.

Dan

Last edited by dantrefethen on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be caused by foot/ankle and hip problems. The knee takes loads it isn't designed to if you subconsciously compensate for other problems by using the knee in odd ways. A physical therapist taught me this after I got some help following a fall and ensuing knee problems. Turns out the knee was the symptom, not the cause. Check it out.
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aleve, and lots of it. Jack Daniel's or 190-proof grain alcohol mixed with ginger ale also work to get my mind off the pain, although a quality craft-brewed or premium import beer tastes better.

My knees, as well as my ankles, hips and elbows are all royally f***ed up from years of abusing them and many accidents with motorcycles and machinery, and the orthopedist says that with the level of damage & the overall poor condition of the rest of me, it won't be worth operating on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you have been to the Doctor so the next questions are did he order an MRI? How long have you had the pain? Previous knee injuries or surgeries? Right or left or both? If it is one knee only you can bet that you will wear out the other one by compensating for the bad one when you walk, work, etc..

I have had both of my knee joints replaced after years of pain caused by previous injuries and surgeries. Best thing I ever did for the pain. 800mg ibuprofin 4x a day was getting old. Ice would work well after a day of work on a cement floor. Glucosomine? Great if you can inject it into the joint. Hyalgen works for some people.

Is your Doctor an orthopedist? If not you might consider finding a good one. Ask around, especially when you are in the waiting room. A good orthopedic office will have a full waiting room.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice from Mr. Loaf

find a good doctor, get the xrays and see whats going on in there. I found out the cartilage on the inside of both my knees are gone (I'm slowly turning bowlegged) My doc shoots me up with some stuff called cynvisc every 6 months and the knees feel great. He also says that he could do the surgery but he doesnt like to do these until the patient is "old enough", at least 60.

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only 35 and my left knee is starting to go…cool. My neck is bad, my upper back is shot and my lower back started letting go when I was 20. My doctor said " Just wait 'til your a grandpa" Oh, forgot to mention the torn rotator cuff….I just keep on trucking.
abgwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 on the cause might be else where. I have Avascular Necrosis from the steroids that go along with chemo. Basically, the bones die from a lack of blood supply so they start collapsing, especially larger weight bearing joints like my hips.

I will be having both hips replaced in the next few months and I'm only 41. The replacements last much longer than before - there's no need to wait till you're 60. There are some less invasive surgeries now, like resurfacing, so don't be afraid to push your doc for all the options.

Though there's no damage to my knees, they're often hot to the touch and very painful, as they're compensating for the hips at the moment.

Over-the-counter NSAIDs like Aleve/Naprosyn, Tylenol and the like do nothing for me. Ibuprofen has lost its effectiveness unless I take it at such high levels it tears up my stomach.

Celebrex works incredibly well for me.

Bottom line: there's no reason to be in pain. If your current doc can't/won't do what it takes to address it, get a new one. Or at least a second opinion.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cartilage is gone from both of my knees from walking concrete for 50 years as a mechanic.
It is gone from my left shoulder, because of being left handed, and twisting wrenches, and swinging hammers for 50 years.
About 6months ago, they took my arthritis meds away from me because it was effecting my only functioning good kidney.
I finally told them, I had to have some help, as Tylenol was not doing it.
So, I got a couple prescriptions.
10mg Oxycontin in the morning and again in the evening, with 500mg Hydrocodone in between as needed for pain. Seems to be working, but I also take lots of naps.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knees started bothering me at about 30 (bad knees run in the family) so I started walking more often to help clear the worn out tissue in the joint. Was told by a doctor that the light impacts on the knees from walking help remove the worn out cartilage tissue that floats in the synovial fluid of the joint . BUT I make sure I don't bend the knees very far while walking/hiking as that brings on pain. I also try not to bend down to get things off the ground as it hurts doing so.
This has helped a lot, and keeps the pain down to a minimum but at some point knee replacement will probably be necessary.
bikesnbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUALITY SHOES make a difference!(Not"But I paid $125+ for these Air Jordans" Laughing ) Go to a Feet First type shoe store NOT a "Footlocker" type joint.And have them "fitted" Confused Ive been wearing 10s when I shouldve been wearing 10.5s.. Ive had bad knees for 20+ years,and my days of wearing Chuck Taylors are over...The shoes(at least in my case) make a big difference ,yes I spent $60-70 more on a pair of walking sneakers BUT, MUCH less pain!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on Shoes.
I worked for a company that got employes a "Deal" on "Shoe's for Crews"
special no slip shoes----6 months later & lots of foot pain , I see the Foot Doc, he looks at the shoes-says that were the pain is from, they didn't have a steel shank for stability= foot pain Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
I have all sorts of foot/ankle/knee/hip pain from 34 years on my feet in Kitchens, I do walk 2 miles daily now which helps, plus streaching & some weight lifting helps, a few Ibuprophen now & then along w/ a Foster's & whatnot is always good..... Very Happy

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your stories and advice.

I also work in a kitchen where I am on my feet all day. Twenty one years
for me at the same place.

It is sometimes hard to not show the pain to my fellow workers. When I
have to get on my knees.

Some times it is hard to put socks on. A little thing that I used to take
for granted.

I am going to try the glucosomine. 1500 mg tablets. And Neproxin.

Also I am told that I need to loose weight. At least 30lb. Hard to do
when your are around food all the time.

I don't seem as bad off as some who have responded.

Dan
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any body use one off these kneelers?

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Gloves-53-Kneeler-Be...amp;sr=1-3

My Mom gave me one for birthday and it does seem to help.

Dan
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Pain? I just turn off the radio.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrefethen wrote:

have to get on my knees.

If this wasnt a serious topic, I might laugh at this statement. Laughing
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
dantrefethen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm serious.

In this economic climate, you DON'T want to look like you can't do the
job.

And it's not as easy as it used to be.

Dan
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I'm only 35 and my left knee is starting to go…cool. My neck is bad, my upper back is shot and my lower back started letting go when I was 20. My doctor said " Just wait 'til your a grandpa" Oh, forgot to mention the torn rotator cuff….I just keep on trucking.

I think we're twins with the same issues. I was a perfectly healthy 19 year old until a good car accident destroyed my body. I now suffer from bad knees, bad shoulder, degenerative discs in my back, ankle problems, and headaches from the disc issues. I'm 38 and life is still beginning. Medication masks the issues and could lead to long term issues, surgery helps, but excercise and eating right is what i've found to help the best. Unfortunately I can't stand to do either!!! So i'll go with the cocktails and pain killers....it's the easy way out.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoes are very important. I am on my feet all day and walk a lot at work. I had knee pains for a year and wore those cheap elastic support braces. One winter I bought a good pair of high top work boots that go above the ankle, to help keep my toes warmer. After 3 months of wearing the high top boots all my knee pains were gone and I have not had any problems since. I'm sure the extra ankle support make all the difference. I'll gladly spend $150 on a good pair of work boots.

If your doing a job where you are down on your knees you also need to get a set of knee pads no matter how stupid you think it will look.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit it with an axe!

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrefethen wrote:
Thank you all for your stories and advice.

I also work in a kitchen where I am on my feet all day. Twenty one years
for me at the same place.

have to get on my knees.

Some times it is hard to put socks on. A little thing that I used to take
for granted.

I am going to try the glucosomine. 1500 mg tablets. And Neproxin.

Also I am told that I need to loose weight. At least 30lb. Hard to do
when your are around food all the time.

I don't seem as bad off as some who have responded.

Dan

I know the problem. When I have an unexplained flare-up and can't bend the knee, I take my emergency gout medication: Indomethicin. Ask your Doc about it.
Also (believe it or not) pure cherry juice can help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: