Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Droid/Iphone app poll
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would like an app for TS?
iPhone
53%
 53%  [ 194 ]
Droid
38%
 38%  [ 139 ]
Don't care/Not Needed
7%
 7%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 361

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been moved from my earlier thread. In my mind VW owners could use an App that would help them when traveling and broken down. I read threads all the time about people needing help. Then I thought why not just make a Samba App that does that and more.

I was kicking around the idea of a Samba App. Lots of us have smart phones now and these phones can do a lot of things. Some things that I can think of that might be useful:

1) When on a road trip, the App would show you where you can get help because your phone has GPS and knows where you are. This would be much like the AIRS list but much easier to use.

2) VW parts houses could also be shown in relation to your location.

3) Repair shops that work on vintage VW's could be shown by location.

4) I thought that in user preferences a person might be able to input their year and model of VW and the Samba App would automatically gather all the technical information pertaining to it.

5) Link "how to" Youtube videos on various repairs a person might need to make on the road like throttle cable, clutch cable, tire change, etc.

6) Optimize the regular Samba web site for use on smart phones.

Please chime in with any other ideas you might have
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

droid app,

web site is great.

but whatever you do, do NOT make a mobile version of the samba web site.

mobile sites are the WORST plague on humanity!

It must be that IT people need work to make mobile crappy sites.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting color

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple months ago I helped a guy and his son that were traveling from Georgia to the west coast and back in their bus. He bought me dinner and during our discussion I found out that he had been a programmer for years. He said that the reason a lot of web sites don't work well on a smart phone is because the programmer didn't do a good job. I guess the code has to be written to work on various screen sizes and that's one part they miss.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
That's an interesting color

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple months ago I helped a guy and his son that were traveling from Georgia to the west coast and back in their bus. He bought me dinner and during our discussion I found out that he had been a programmer for years. He said that the reason a lot of web sites don't work well on a smart phone is because the programmer didn't do a good job. I guess the code has to be written to work on various screen sizes and that's one part they miss.

The color is coral. Its a 55 chevy color. I know, but my wife picked it!
The top is the correct pastel white. I just can't stand the original sierra yellow, but it had been repainted red when I got it. So I get a pass, and the original yellow had bondo under it from a front end collision in large amounts.

I do a lot of programming, as I am an EE. Mostly firmware, some PC apps to communicate to my hardware, and some production test software for PCs. But what passes for programming on the web is Nothing like hardware programming. The big issue is most programmers don't know hardware and then generally disregard hardware as the create their masterpieces. I have yet to see a mobile site that is as good as the real site. who cares if some stuff don't work? and the nazi mentality of forcing you to the mobile site makes me scream.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well forget about the samba for a minute. Sometimes Apps can be very useful. Like my weather channel App that knows where I am all the time and gives me THAT weather first.

I think a vintage VW App that could help someone locate assistance on the road would be fantastic. Guys like me could register like on the AIRS site and be available. Shops and businesses that cater to vintage VW's could as well. So, you're in San Diego and need a set of points. The App would tell you the nearest place.

I'm sure that would be just the beginning of functionality for the App. I'm not a programmer and don't know crap about it but I can see that this is the wave of the future. I don't think smart phones appeared until sometime around 2005 so we're just seeing the beginning of it's usefulness.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I read this entire thread from start to finish, after finding it of course)
from my iPhone in landscape mode. Cool
It wasn't too bad, but I'd would love an app too!
Cheers! -jeff
vvdubman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Driod app Reply with quote

Any other thoughts on this app thing? Maybe something like the bookoo app for viewing classifieds?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the bookoo App looks like but I looked at the Bookoo web page for my city and it's 90% spam. Smile

Anyway, I haven't seen a reason to have an App or dedicate the resources to making one.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only App the Samba needs is a mobile photo uploader.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Safari on my iPone is really slick for uploading pictures. Copying and pasting photo links from the gallery to create a post is a bit of a pain though. Lots of screen tapping.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I am a software engineering student and I have been considering throwing together an iOS (iPhone/iPad) app with the possibility of Android if iOS is successful/I have enough time/I feel like it. Basically I need a personal project to keep me busy while I am at school and can't work on my bug Razz. No idea if I will be successful, but I am interested in giving it a shot.

What features would you guys consider critical? Please rank features from most important to you to least important. Would you pay for the app if it was fairly feature rich? Would ads be a deal-breaker?

Everett, if this process requires a bit of back end access/information would you be willing to provide that or collaborate?

At this point it is just a thought and I haven't actually done any legwork.

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
Everett, if this process requires a bit of back end access/information would you be willing to provide that or collaborate?

Direct access - No.
A feed of some sort - Possibly.

For instance there is already a classifieds & forum RSS feed.
If you wanted a different type of feed then ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be cool to have like a 'samba field guide app' basically just a bunch of write ups, and how too stuff put into one place. Would be useful if you for say - broke down and didn't have any 'how to knowledge' wifi, data, or manual, you could just pull out your divice and see - how to change a belt, how to adjust points, valves,carbs, and changing your cables - stuff like that. Be awesome if you could use the cameras flash to adjust timing Aswell. Could get updates whenever a new write up is added, could go as far as to doing a re build.

Don't see much of a use for a the samba app other than that though, you would have to have wifi or data to use it for searching and uploading crap - might Aswell use the site - I have no problems using my iPod with the web, uploading is easy, searching and posting fine - don't know how people have problems with it. I agree with the copy and paste stuff though, have to copy something like ten times
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

The idea of a downloaded "quick tech tips" App is actually a good one for someone to create.

I don't think you could use the Flash to set your timing as it's not hooked to the spark plug signal? This is an interesting idea though. Don't want to get off-topic on that here though so maybe ask about that in a Technical Forum area.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't think a strobe light for the flash would be very effective - I like the thought of it, but I don't see it working well. Easier ways to set the timing than that. Be better if you could use the flash as a test light - that couldn't work though lol.

Someone get to work on a quick tech tips app!!
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this thread.. Here is a link to a thread I started for a app I'm working on.
I'm almost ready for testers.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618069
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just chiming in to express interest in an iPhone app.

Check out my band, Thru The Haze
http://www.thruthehazeband.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buguyed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Droid/Iphone app poll Reply with quote

+1 for iPhone app. For TS, I would gladly pay a dollar or so for it too. Too bad it can't be added to Tapatalk! Everett, is it possible to convert the forum platform to be compatible? I spend way more time on the BMW M3 forums since they're easier to navigate in the app.

I strictly browse TS on my iPhone(Safari) and it's difficult. I would browse way way more if it were an app. Good luck and God speed in creating!
redrocksteady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Droid/Iphone app poll Reply with quote

+1 for native iPhone app over here as well!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: