Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old VW Horns
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Old VW Horns Reply with quote

What is with POs and VW horns? My Thing is the fourth vintage AC VW that I have owned. Every one of them including this car had non-working horns or horns that were not working as installed in the factory. In the case of my Thing the PO had a button on the dash to work the horn with wires running through the luggage compartment.

When I bought the car he pointed this out and I just laughed and said Yes that is interesting.

Last weekend I decided to fix this. The old horn and wires were still there although one of the terminals on the old horn was broken off. Installed the new horn and attached the old wires. Pulled the steering wheel cover. The wire in the column was not connected to the steering wheel cover. Hooked it up - works fine. All of my other cars were a similar situation - bad horn, bad ground, broken wire, etc.

I am sure it took me less time to fix the original set up than the PO spent jury rigging the "fix".

What is so mystifying to people for something that is so incredibly simple?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn wasn't working on my Thing when I bought it. PO never attempted to fix it. Once I got it home I popped the cover off found the wire had become disconnected from the cover. 2 minute fix. Easiest circuit to troubleshoot and fix.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad. That is funny.

I know these cars often come with far greater problems and fixing the horn is minor in the scheme of things.

Just ranting, that is all.
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do need to work on my horn "Thing". It works and all but, that little "Meep, Meep" doesn't do anything for me. It's just a laughable little noise. I need to do an alternator conversion just for the power upgrade to put a proper horn. Wink

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
booch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW Horns Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
In the case of my Thing the PO had a button on the dash to work the horn with wires running through the luggage compartment.

Both of my Things and my 70 Beetle had this same setup when purchased. All of them had the same style button as well.

NOVA Airhead wrote:
I am sure it took me less time to fix the original set up than the PO spent jury rigging the "fix".

Agreed, not much to it to fix it the right way.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go108 wrote:
I do need to work on my horn "Thing". It works and all but, that little "Meep, Meep" doesn't do anything for me. It's just a laughable little noise. I need to do an alternator conversion just for the power upgrade to put a proper horn. Wink

Something to "inspire you"

Link

or

Link

LEGAL WARNING: This will get you a ticket in Washington State Laughing
tallman206
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that for the most part, electrical problems bewilder most owners, particularly when it comes to a rotating part (steering column horn wiring - how DO they do that?). Also, the horn being a ground-to-operate circuit seems to fool others. Really rather simple stuff.

I upgraded my horns using the very similar WOLO 306-2T horns.
Almost identical to the large Bosch horns used on many German vehicles.
Scuffed up the front grilles and painted the chrome bling to matte black.
Use a relay if you are going to put in both horns.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Underneath my front bumper - put a second bracket on for the right horn.

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too have a button on my dash. never bothered to fix it. i will someday
vws-microcars4jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used an auxillary horn button as well, such as this one,

to command air horns. It gives me the choice of the stock beep-beep or a deafening blast. I really like and recommend the air horns.
I truly believe it has helped avoid a few accidents, such as waking up texting drivers wandering into my lane.

Semper_Dad wrote:

Does Washington state have a horn-decibel ordinance?
I would challenge an officer's ticketing for use of those horns posted, within reason. Very Happy
SgtSamy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vws-microcars4jim wrote:
I have used an auxillary horn button as well, such as this one,

to command air horns. It gives me the choice of the stock beep-beep or a deafening blast. I really like and recommend the air horns.
I truly believe it has helped avoid a few accidents, such as waking up texting drivers wandering into my lane.

Semper_Dad wrote:

I would challenge an officer's ticketing for use of those horns posted, within reason. Very Happy

Texting drivers are trully a danger on the road.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vws-microcars4jim wrote:

RCW 46.37.380
Horns, warning devices, and theft alarms.
(1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than two hundred feet, but no horn or other warning device may emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his or her horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

(2) No vehicle may be equipped with nor may any person use upon a vehicle any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.

(3) It is permissible for any vehicle to be equipped with a theft alarm signal device so long as it is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal. Such a theft alarm signal device may use a whistle, bell, horn, or other audible signal but shall not use a siren.

(4) Any authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than five hundred feet and of a type conforming to rules adopted by the state patrol, but the siren shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which latter events the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of its approach.

I've seen tickets issued for unduly loud horns used for the purpose of "scaring" or "alarming" pedestrians or other drivers. Usually not written unless someone complains.
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mystery indeed. My old Ghia had the same 'button mounted on the dash' fix. If the PO was handy enough to rig that up, you would think he could have figured out how to fix the stock horn button. Rolling Eyes
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have bets as to weather or not the horn works.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when laws use words like normal, unreasonable, and harsh without actually defining these words.

Unreasonably loud? Someone is about to hit you by unlawfully invading your lane-space, and your horn blows them back where they belong -- seems like a good "reason" to be that loud by action and results to me.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
I love it when laws use words like normal, unreasonable, and harsh without actually defining these words.

Unreasonably loud? Someone is about to hit you by unlawfully invading your lane-space, and your horn blows them back where they belong -- seems like a good "reason" to be that loud by action and results to me.

Shades of "grey" keep life interesting Smile
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those worried about the law - mid-'70's Buicks and Cadillacs had really loud deep stock horns. If used to substitute the Thing's horn, I'm sure they would pass muster.
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....as for the horn button, I bet it's a missing ground wire that jumpers the flex coupling on the steering column.
lukesky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all. I was going to rig up a dash button myself because I've got a really bad connection between the 4 contact points under the steering wheel cover and the black wire that comes up through the middle of the steering column. I can tell that the cover itself is in 2 pieces, but I can't figure out how to get them apart without breaking off whatever tabs hold it together.
I get a pretty good sound when I jump the black wire to the contact points on the steering wheel, but when I put the cover back on, I either get nothing or the sound of the AFLAC duck being strangled to death.

Any ideas? (I'll try to post pics later) Thanks.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukesky wrote:
... I either get nothing or the sound of the AFLAC duck being strangled to death.

LOL!!! Nice..... This is the exact reason I swapped to a "wolo"(?) type air horn from the FLAPS. Great analogy!!!

Oh, love the Sig qoute too, My kids have that one down pat! Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukesky wrote:
Hi, all. I was going to rig up a dash button myself because I've got a really bad connection between the 4 contact points under the steering wheel cover and the black wire that comes up through the middle of the steering column. I can tell that the cover itself is in 2 pieces, but I can't figure out how to get them apart without breaking off whatever tabs hold it together.
I get a pretty good sound when I jump the black wire to the contact points on the steering wheel, but when I put the cover back on, I either get nothing or the sound of the AFLAC duck being strangled to death.

Any ideas? (I'll try to post pics later) Thanks.

Without pics Not sure I completely understand your post. The cover should kind of pull up and turn to remove. Its a bit hard to describe but you don't want to force it. There should be a single terminal on the back side of the cover that the block wire hooks to. If all of this is there and the horn works fine when you ground the black wire to the column then your contacts on the cover are the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: