Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Berrien or Barrett chassis?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deanomont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Berrien or Barrett chassis? Reply with quote

I was curious to know what the ins and outs are of each chassis. I do not plan on doing any hill jumping, just a street buggy. I'm not real crazy about the fiberglass floor on the Berrien, but I figure I could modify that. The price on the Berrien certianly is good. I'm not sure how much the Barrett goes for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO... David Barrett chassis! I just got one from him about a month ago. Great guy.. He will build it to ur specs. Check out his ad.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1002108

http://www.manxchassis.com/

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dinubadave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Opinion: Dave Barrett's hands down! Let me put it this way, if you go with Dave's, you'll never be sorry and you'll never have second thoughts. Plus, he's a great guy to work with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
greenmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out Hawkeye Buggies in East Texas http://www.hawkeyebuggies.com/
I have one of his chassis and love it. http://www.hawkeyebuggies.com/page3/page3.html
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just used a Berrien chassis. This was my second build with there set up but this time I went to get it for the customer. The first one was not a complete build. I happen to like the Berrien chassis. They are very well built. There are a few issues though. On the last build the “used” section that they welded to the new was completely trashed. We had to do an exchange. They handled the issue with the utmost professionalism. With that being said, the other issue was the floor pan. I have to say I LOVE the idea. In fact with all cander I have to say we do make a carpet for it. The problem I have with the floor is the area at the shifter mount is more flexible then I would like. Another issue is the Zerk fitting holes on the front-end get covered by the mounting caps. You will have to drill them out. We did have a local guy build one about the same time I did my customers. He reported to us that he could not use a lowering beam without modifying things. This actually caused some concern as we were using one as well. It turns out; we had no issues at all. I do plan on using them in the future but I do plan on beefing the shifter location up a bit. They are relatively close to us and the price is spot on for what you get.

David Barrett’s chassis look very well built but as of this post I have not used one yet so I cannot and would not attempt to review it. Keith says he may be building one so if he does and allows me to help with it. I will update my post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com

Last edited by kustoms on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Barrett .. has produced a couple of strong looks. Had I not already bought, it would have been a fight whether to have a Street Fighter-looking buggy or the totally charming KL.

Jim
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say either of the three chassis builders mentioned will do you a great job. I am partial to Hawkeye buggies just because he did my cage.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Berrien and have had no issues with it. The grease zerk thing i fixed by drilling the clamp. I like the fiberglass floor idea as water does not affect it. I was able to move the shifter location easily because it was fiberglass.
I sure wish I knew about your carpets Tom. They sure look good. Although you only see the floor by my feet and the tunnel so it is easy to cover.
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on Dave Barrett's chassis, but I did complete a build back in 2007 using a Berrien Buggy chassis. It was my first ever attempt at anything of this nature, but I will admit that looking back, I believe it was much easier for me to deal with a new, correctly-sized chassis (sized for the Berrien Buggy Nostalgia body) that it would have been to cut down an original chassis and cope with issues affected by it's age.

Some if the issues/modifications that I dealt with:

1. I agree with Tom/Kustoms about the flexibility of the tunnel where the shifter mounts; I can feel it flex as I shift, but so far it has not affected my shifting (obviously, the adjust of the shifter has to be spot-on). If I had to do it over again, I would beef this up with metal reinforcement. There used to be a thread on here by a guy that showed this modification.

2. During the build, I installed a new (probably Brazilian) ball joint complete front end that I purchased from Mid America ($300.00 complete at the time, disc spindle to disc spindle). I had to cut off the metal stop that is used for the pitman arm, because the front clamp on the chassic was in the same place. I was able to fabricate some tabs out of flat metal and, using the bolts for the clamp itself, substitute some stops of my own.

3. I was originally somewhat hesitant about the fiberglass floor myself, but not anymore. Once installed, I was able to stand on it with confidence (obviously, I did not jump up and down on it like a crazy man). I did get it coated with Speedliner (competitor to Rhino Linings) before it was installed, eliminating unslightly scratches on the black gelcoat. After the first time (3 times total, so far) of being caught in a rain storm, I drilled single 3/8" holes up at the front (both driver's and passenger's side where your feet end up), and at the lowest sides of the rear to allow water drainage. The black Speedliner does make wipedown/cleanup a piece of cake.

4. Two of the frame support holes that were predrilled for the my seat tracks (also purchased from Berrien Buggy) had to be relocated in order for the seats to line up properly for a straighter appearance. This modification ended up being more critical that I had originally expected; my Beard seats fit perfectly, but snugly. The original location of the holes, even if they were off by less that an inch, would have made my seat install impossible.

5. I fabricated a reinforcement bracket (just behind the attachment for the emergency brake) that allowed me to properly install the female connectors for my retractable seat belts (easier said than done)

6. I gave a local welder patterns for a bracket to be welded to the torsion bar, so that the battery holder for my Odyssey battery could be installed. It has to have enough clearance upward so that the IRS trailing arms would not hit it over heavy bumps, but low enough so that it would be easy to connect/disconnect and remove the battery, if needed.

I have photos of most of what I discussed above, with some of these appearing in previous posts. It could be that Berrien Buggy has made some fabrication changes since my purchase, so I can not say for sure if my changes are still needed.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both, have to say I have never used either one, but I would pick the Berrien over the Barrett if I was building a street buggy or kit car and a Barrett if I was building an off-road buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for anything other that the Berrien chassis. But I can tell you the fiberglass floor is very stout and fits very well.
As far as the Zerk fittings in the front beam being in the way of the mounting clamps. I just drilled and tapped new holes for the zerks and moved them out of the way of the clamps.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
Levi Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David's chassis hands down. He's super easy to work with and does a quality job. I couldn't be happier with mine chassis, it's super stiff, fairly light and fit's perfect.
Pretty important in a 400hp hill climb car. Can't say I'd try that with glass floorboard.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi Harris wrote:
David's chassis hands down. He's super easy to work with and does a quality job. I couldn't be happier with mine chassis, it's super stiff, fairly light and fit's perfect.
Pretty important in a 400hp hill climb car. Can't say I'd try that with glass floorboard.

I'd agree but I'd have to ask: Which of Dave Barrett's seemingly endless variety of chassis do you mean? I've lost count. Just when I think I've seen the ultimate and there couldn't be another style chassis, Dave comes up with something new and better! The latest example always has even more advantages for the specific kind of buggy which its designed. He continuously improves his product. Dave is the #1 custom glass buggy chassis builder.

And speaking of mounting the shifter, Dave locates it farther aft, where it needs to go for the seating position in a buggy. In a VW pan buggy, the shifter and my leg want to occupy the same space, in Dave's chassis it doesn't.
Levi Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actuelly mine is a one off to my specs to fit my ultra rare body and fit an ultra big porsche transaxle. That being said, I expected a lot going into this and David blew my mind when I went to pick it up. Everything fit perfect... I would have charged me more...
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi Harris wrote:
Can't say I'd try that with glass floorboard.

I don't know that I would trust anyone's chassis other then the one I would build for my self with a 400 hp hill climber but I am here to tell you the fiberglass pan will hold up just as David's pan will. With that, No, the Barrien is just a builders chassis.

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Dinubadave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like both, have to say I have never used either one, but I would pick the Berrien over the Barrett if I was building a street buggy or kit car and a Barrett if I was building an off-road buggy.

Dave can build a chassis for whatever you want. I have his chassis under my Intermeccanica Speedster and it's certainly not an off-road machine. I've let others drive mine and they can't believe the difference. To say I'm pleased would be an under statement. Not only does it perform fantastic, but the quality of craftsmanship is beautiful. For the ones who don't know Dave, he's a true craftsman. His hand built wooden canoes and kyacks are true works of art, I doubt if many ever make it into the water. I have a 14' Kyack of his that will soon be on my family room's wall. I mention the boats because I feel they reflect the kind of builder Dave is; one with a self-critical eye for detail.

Bottomline, if you still haven't made up your mind, call both, Dave and Berrien; talk to them, then you'll know what to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
deanomont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference in cost?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dtrm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: David Barrett's Chasssis Reply with quote

I recently purchased one of David Barrett's chassis' for a Manx I am building with my son. Having driven and seen Manx cars with the traditional shortened pan, I really wanted something safer and with more structural integrity. The chassis came out perfect, and everyone who has dropped by to see it comments on how well thought out and put together it is.

David spent hours with me when I took my body down and dropped it off, discussing the pros and cons of several ideas, and ways to make the car do just what we wanted. He spoke to my son on the phone before starting, and sent daily photos of the build, which the whole family enjoyed.

He let me drive both his current Manx and the Kubel Lite, and after being a Jeep guy for years, I was amazed at what the capabilities were, and how solid and well they drove. None of the flex, vibration, or general vague feeling of a Manx with just a VW pan cut and re-welded.

Anyone near Salem, Oregon is welcome to come by and check it out in person. David has made this project special, and I'm already excited about building the next car for me, which will be on a David Barrett chassis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dunebubby
Samba Thread Killer

Location: In my den,throwing darts at a picture of my ex-boss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't purchased one from either Dave or Berrien but I think I caught a glimpse of Dave's character that I will share.

I was cruising Craigslist one night and happened on an ad for a tube frame for a dune buggy. I found that ad 20 minutes after it was posted and made a call. I ended up sealing the deal the next day on the frame and brought it home,(thinking it was a Berrien frame). At one point someone pointed out that it was one of Dave's so I called him up. He was EXTREMELY cordial, was familiar with the particular chassis I'd purchased,and answered all my questions. I was blown away. Most people wouldn't have given me the time of day since I wasn't in the market to purchase a new one.

Funny thing is the guy who sold it to me got it with a dune buggy that needed it and he was separating them! Only weeks before I had been pouring over Berrien's site dreaming of a tube frame for my buggy.

Glad I was in the right place at the right time. I absolutely stole it!
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: David Barrett's Chasssis Reply with quote

I agree totally with this. I called David Barrett up. Put in a order for a chassis, complete with a roll cage. David Barrett was very helpful and cordial with me. He sent pic's during the build stages to my specs. Then I got it shipped to the US Virgin Islands. If I had to build another one. Barrett is who I'm calling without a doubt. I will post pic's later..

dtrm wrote:
I recently purchased one of David Barrett's chassis' for a Manx I am building with my son. Having driven and seen Manx cars with the traditional shortened pan, I really wanted something safer and with more structural integrity. The chassis came out perfect, and everyone who has dropped by to see it comments on how well thought out and put together it is.

David spent hours with me when I took my body down and dropped it off, discussing the pros and cons of several ideas, and ways to make the car do just what we wanted. He spoke to my son on the phone before starting, and sent daily photos of the build, which the whole family enjoyed.

He let me drive both his current Manx and the Kubel Lite, and after being a Jeep guy for years, I was amazed at what the capabilities were, and how solid and well they drove. None of the flex, vibration, or general vague feeling of a Manx with just a VW pan cut and re-welded.

Anyone near Salem, Oregon is welcome to come by and check it out in person. David has made this project special, and I'm already excited about building the next car for me, which will be on a David Barrett chassis.

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: