Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oettinger WBX-6 3.2 engine... what's it worth?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Oettinger WBX-6 3.2 engine... what's it worth? Reply with quote

Ok this is only happening because I've seen another Vanagon I really like the look of and I need to try to fund buying it.

I have an Oettinger 3.2 WBX-6 engine which needs a rebuild. In fact it needs more than a rebuild, it need a case half!

It threw a rod (this is how I got the engine). The crank, cam etc are all ok as is the head so it's either going to need some fancy welding or a crankcase.

It's number 6 (engine number is 00006) so possibly a prototype engine.

I have all the parts with it, loom, ECU, exhaust etc.

I have been saving it for a rainy day waiting for a crankcase to come up at sensible money. You can still buy them new but I don't have a spare 1200 Euros for it.

So the burning question is, what's it worth? I'd rather it didn't get parted out but right now, money is the issue so if that's what's going to happen, so be it.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont knot if you checked Ebay but those Oettinger parts go for a hefty penny! Used or not Shocked
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jedi,
Yes I've seen how much the parts go for.
I guess I could just put it up on ebay but right now, I'm not sure if it's worth £750... £1000... £2500... etc etc

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tihkal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my first post.. & hello samba.

May be of use to you.. I have the wbx6 3.2 motor in my van (bought the van with engine already installed) & a folder with all kinds of oettinger brochures etc. Amongst that lot is a booklet from a London Volkswagen dealership dated 1990 with a full oettinger upgrade price list. The price for a new OE 6cyl 3.2 engine & auto transmission was £16,500 !!

It doesn't mention a price for the 3.7 version.

Hmmmm, I shouldn't be saying this but I may be interested in some parts or the whole lot if you decide to sell.

Don't really need it and shouldn't be spending any of the cash i've been saving for a syncro doka project but i am tempted just for spares.

The one i'm running now is sweet and has been since the day i got it. Superb motor, but my plans were to give it an overhaul in a couple of years & you don't see wbx6 cyl heads everyday.

Last edited by Tihkal on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I always wanted to use this engine, maybe even build it up with a more modern injection system.

MG
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a broken case half the entire engine is worthless... Twisted Evil just send it to me and I will make sure no one tries to cheat you. just kidding!

Sorry I know I'm not much help. I thought I would tell you that I am sure theres an interest in that engine, as it's very rare indeed! However, it's one of those things you hate to sell because you later find out it was worth 5X the amount. I wish you luck!
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
syncrosimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
maybe even build it up with a more modern injection system.

MG

This has been interesting me for a while now.

http://www.vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16757&cat=394&page=1
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice and neat, I am always a bit wary of crank triggers for our off-roading vehicles... not sure how they'd cope with mud and water.

I also had (possibly unrealistic) plans of fitting twin turbos to it, one per bank with a low pressure system and a charge cooler... I was thinking that 300bhp wouldn't be hard to get to without turning it into a buzz box. If I can't get enough money out of it as it is, it'll probably sit around for another few years until I can afford to build it.

MG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: