Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

comparison between Mendeola & Eyeball A-Arm Suspension
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoghead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RHD is easy and I used a RHD rack from a Australian Torana.

LHD is simply a matter of flipping the rack in my design.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my RHD Mendeola I have an Aussie Golf Mk1 rack (Rabbit). Would also be available in the UK. There is also a quick ratio rack and pinion available from Quaife for the Golf Mk 1.
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
Thanks for jumping in. Your kit is ready to ship.
Could you post a link up here for the racks you spoke of?

Thanks

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want one of our High Performance a-arm kits or our rear kit here is the link to our add on the Samba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1076832
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1076832

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics/details of the super kit? Cant find them on your site.

BTW since your watching, the only links that seem to work on your site are the top menu bar, everything else appears broken.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubjim wrote:
pics/details of the super kit? Cant find them on your site.

BTW since your watching, the only links that seem to work on your site are the top menu bar, everything else appears broken.

Sorry we have a large part of our site down for maintance.
Here are some pcitures of the Super kit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for details take a look in the Classifieds under general parts at the top of the page.
Pleasee ask any and all questions you may have.

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolrydes wrote:

Please ask any and all questions you may have.

How much performance loss is there with the 3" narrowed A-arms over the stock length arms? Would it be a noticeable difference for street driving?

Also, would the spindles be considered standard height or dropped?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking into switching to 17" Fuchs from a stock setup, and I need to spend a chunk of change on new narrowed and lowered front suspension anyway (3" narrowed with 2" drop spindles to make it work) . It'd be more to go with a Mendeola, but if I could have an A-arm front suspension I feel like it might be worth the extra investment, but only if it would definitely work with the larger wheels.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Era

1) How much performance loss is there with the 3" narrowed A-arms over the stock length arms?..........

We have not done any skid pad test with the 3 inch narrowed unit yet, however the performance loss of moving the wheel 1.5 inches toward the center of the car should not effect the skid pads numbers much. We are expecting to stay above 1.0 G's on our 100 foot asphalt skid pad.

2) Would it be a noticeable difference for street driving?.........

No, you would only be able to notice the slight lose of performance on a track or skid pad.

3)Also, would the spindles be considered standard height or dropped?............

Our Zero Scrub Spindles are 1.1 inch dropped, however they are designed to use any of the after market ball joint disc brake kits. We have fixed caliper mounting points for VW Ghia and Wilwood calipers. We are also going to be offering our own 11 and huge 12.5 inch vented and cross drilled rotors (that look great behind 17 inch wheels).

4)The reason I ask is because I'm looking into switching to 17" Fuchs from a stock setup, and I need to spend a chunk of change on new narrowed and lowered front suspension anyway (3" narrowed with 2" drop spindles to make it work) . It'd be more to go with a Mendeola, but if I could have an A-arm front suspension I feel like it might be worth the extra investment, but only if it would definitely work with the larger wheels........

The beauty of our suspension is that it was designed around the use of 17 inch plus wheels. Also even with our stock width front end we do not have a problem with fender rubbing like beams do. We've run as large as a 17x7 with a 205/50/17 tire under stock front fenders with out rubbing.

Check out my gallery section for photos of some of the cars we've built with 17 inch wheels on them.

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Just one more question...
Does the R&P connect to the steering column via the same donut as the stock steering box, or do modifications need to be made to the steering column?

Thanks!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Thanks so much for the info, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Just one more question...
Does the R&P connect to the steering column via the same donut as the stock steering box, or do modifications need to be made to the steering column?

Thanks!

You no longer use the doughnut. You'll be using a super beetle double u-joint shaft and shortening the steering column to fit it. It all sounds harder then it is.

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found any owner feedback reviews yet of the Mendeola system?

I've fitted the R9d system for various owners, and would never buy one for myself. So still looking for some independent feedback regarding the fit and real life ride handling and ride quality of the alternatives.

thanks
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a nice system and kevin has done his homework on it.I wish i could afford it for my 356....but I cant.Ill probably go the mustangll route for less than half,it may not be as good as this mendeola ,but it will be better than the vw stuff. for those who can aford kevins I think it may be the best out there.I would like to see the shocks raised an inch or two(I dont like low hanging stuff), but thats it,very nice work kevin!!
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjim - we have been driving Kathleen's Manxter around for a couple of years now with the full (front & rear suspension and transaxle) Mendeola chassis. It rides nicer, steers nicer and handles much better than the VW chassis that was under the car when we 1st built it. I was concerned with the large sway bars, but they don't seem to make the ride harsh like with having them on VW suspension. We have had some minor issues, but Kevin has always come through to take care of them. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks for the replies. Just what I was looking for.

Kevin, are you setting up European stockist?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if demo drives are available. It would sure be a great way to ensure that this investment is something that someone really wants to move on.

On the other hand, I can certainly see one of the problems with this concept: goof-offs (read: tire-kickers) lining up just to "try it out" so they can say they've done it...and perhaps comment on it.
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'd make arrangements to fly over and collect. Then put as much in suitcases as possible with the left over shipped home.
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, Tom and Kathleen

You guys do not understand how hard it is to get owners to speak up about the happiness with our products. So thank you very much.

As for test drives, we have a shop demo beetle that we keep here all the time for people that just don't understand how much better this is then any beetle suspension out there. We are also working on a type 2 front and rear suspension that should be offered shortly.

We have also started offering the best performance brake kits on the market.

Anyone else out there that has our products and would like to make a testimonial, we would love to hear it.

As for European dealers, we have been working on a few but have not signed anyone on yet.

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
DanPorges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: comparison between Mendeola & Eyeball A-Arm Suspension Reply with quote

Coolrydes, is there any chance your system would fit a Super Beetle? Does anyone know of any kits that do if not?
GraysonM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjim wrote:
Has anyone found any owner feedback reviews yet of the Mendeola system?

I've fitted the R9d system for various owners, and would never buy one for myself. So still looking for some independent feedback regarding the fit and real life ride handling and ride quality of the alternatives.

thanks

vwjim, any particular reason you've ruled out the red9 kit?
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: comparison between Mendeola & Eyeball A-Arm Suspension Reply with quote

DanPorges wrote:
Coolrydes, is there any chance your system would fit a Super Beetle? Does anyone know of any kits that do if not?

yes check out our S2 front ends under products on our website

www.CoolRydesCustoms.com

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: