Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 w/1600DP heads
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brese73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: 1500 w/1600DP heads Reply with quote

just bought a 1500 from a guy. engine was torn down with piston/cylinders still in tact. then he gave me a crate with the heads - 1600DP. I get that it would make sense to rebuild the engine with 1600 cylinders/pistons. I'm on a low budget and really would like to use what I have. Can I install these 1600 DP heads on the 1500? If so, obviously I'll need the DP manifold. What stock carb/dizzy would be the proper application?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 w/1600DP heads Reply with quote

If the existing pistons/cylinders are in good shape, no harm in using them with the dual port heads, and they might already be 1600 sets anyways by now Smile

Best combo depends on what you like and can source really, as there are a handful of setups that work well. Your best bet by far is to go for an original restored German 34pict-3, paired with the correct German distributor for your particular carb, as there were many different loadouts of them over the years. That having been said, the SVDA types of distributors are probably the better way to go, so whichever carb you buy you will want to make sure that the number stamped on its mounting flange is to match with an SVDA type of distributor.

Also, an 019 distributor may be pricy, but would be a good choice too. Almost overkill for a stock type application though.

Stay away from new production carbs in general, as they generally Have issues and QC issues, and the same can be said of most aftermarket distributors as well. If you look around here on the classifieds you'll find plenty of nice original distributors for similar prices to new, that will work much better overall than most of what's on the market.

For carbs, volksblitz is a good source, for distributors the users "tasb" and "wcfvw69" are good for stock stuff. Plenty of listings by them in the classifieds.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 w/1600DP heads Reply with quote

Yes, the D/P heads will fall right onto the 1500's cylinders - which btw are very likely 85.5mm by now.
You would be well-advised to tear down the 1500 long block for inspection. At minimum, replace all the bearings - 'cuz all this gear was sitting-around for a reason.
Then check out the heads for cracks, etc.

A proper carb/dizzy combo would be any of the factory types from '71-on, just make sure that they're compatible with/native to each other. A 34 PICT-3 carb would probably generate the least hassle here.
Other carb/dizzy combos may work, but yield less than ideal results.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 w/1600DP heads Reply with quote

I've done changeover from to dual port, over 4 decades ago.

The DP heads will slip right on; you have to go 1600cc because 1500cc pistons and cylinders are like no longer available.

You'll need two shorter studs on the top middle on each side. You'll need dual port top cylinder tins too, or you will need to cut yours. And of course intake manifold/carb/end pieces.

Consider doghouse cooler/fan shroud while doing this, and also should have a vented engine lid or hood standoffs for more air.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
brese73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 w/1600DP heads Reply with quote

really appreciate the feedback! I haven't cleaned the piston surface to see what piston size yet, but just a quick glance at the cylinders (thick walls), they look to be the stock 1500. I'll confirm. Also, the crate had a few dizzy's. I'll look them up as well. One looks stock and really old. Plan is to tear down. split case. clean. inspect. align bore. grind crank. new main/rod/cam bearings. new pistons. then source needed parts. Is there a significant advantage to using DP heads on a 1500? Added HP?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 w/1600DP heads Reply with quote

Good plan, & it didn't require any arm-twisting.
Advantage to D/P heads is better overall breathing & a bit more top end power, but the big trade-off is less bottom end torque.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: