Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can any body help save my 57 oval rag, this SUCKS!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny chingas wrote:
Thanks stale air, for all the info. I did not find that info in my research with junk titles. This just gave me some hope. Could you send me the link so I can print it out and take it with me to the dmv. I could not find whare you got this from.. I can't give up on her..

Here ya go.....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr4.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/registerjunk.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/reregister_salvage.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/no_record.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonysGarage
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give uo and sell it...with all the time and energy you have to put into it you might has well have bought one for $500 with no title issues--youd be getting out ahead that way.

plus..i know a guy that'll give you $1000 tomorrow (me) if you want to take a loss.

all kidding aside---that 57 pan that someone posted for $600--just get that and call it a day.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonysGarage wrote:

all kidding aside---that 57 pan that someone posted for $600--just get that and call it a day.

johnny chingas, if your ride is a matching numbers car, dont change out the pan! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned earlier big dawg.. Keep poking at the DMV & AAA... Ask what you need and be polite.. You have all the correct documents.. Throw a curve ball at the AAA and bring the vehicle down to them and show them that its all intact and not "Junk" or even close.. Or rent a HOT Chic and have her go in there and talk to the guy behind the counter.. Small top, short skirt.. Shocked

Like this Oval getting registered at the DMV/AAA:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonysGarage
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
TonysGarage wrote:

johnny chingas, if your ride is a matching numbers car, dont change out the pan! Shocked

is it numbers matching?? i dont remember reading that--although i did glance through real quick
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:
Someone mentioned earlier big dawg.. Keep poking at the DMV & AAA... Ask what you need and be polite.. You have all the correct documents.. Throw a curve ball at the AAA and bring the vehicle down to them and show them that its all intact and not "Junk" or even close.. Or rent a HOT Chic and have her go in there and talk to the guy behind the counter.. Small top, short skirt.. Shocked

That works for me! Very Happy I would pass it but after a thorough inspection of course

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonysGarage wrote:
stale air wrote:
TonysGarage wrote:

is it numbers matching?? i dont remember reading that--although i did glance through real quick
yea its matching numbers. the original coler is coral red. You can see it in some spots. Everything is correct but the paint. I haven't even tried to start it yet because the hole title thing... if it wasent a ragtop I think I would pan swap it. Doesent anybody here work for AAA? Smile
downsbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do it as an abandoned vehicle? I was in the same situation and that's what I am doing. I am in AZ though.
Lobotomy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: bonded title Reply with quote

California is run by car Nazis, I swear.

Can you try registering it in another state? Nevada or Washington perhaps?
1958 Honda c-100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nebraska65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Another idea Reply with quote

Hey u can always just buy a cheap fat chick(any 4 lug) and switch bodies for 7 years then switch back and sell off the donor car may be a bit cheaper I know in Cali u can pick up a 72 for around 500 bucks but then u can sell and get your money back and have saved all the miles on your original stuff?
TonysGarage
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another idea Reply with quote

nebraska65 wrote:
Hey u can always just buy a cheap fat chick(any 4 lug) and switch bodies for 7 years then switch back and sell off the donor car may be a bit cheaper I know in Cali u can pick up a 72 for around 500 bucks but then u can sell and get your money back and have saved all the miles on your original stuff?

if you're gonna do that just drive it around illegally...or buy a title just to get a license plate...i did that for one of my 64's--took it to AAA for registration, they never even asked to look at it--just gave me stickers and i was outta there.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
valentinesr wrote:

That works for me! Very Happy I would pass it but after a thorough inspection of course

she wouldnt pass, her exhaust is too loud and shes a gross polluter, plus slicks arent street legal- the dmv rep that is

.......... but the oval should be able to be registered with flying colors.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway Title in Alabama. You write them a bill of sale selling car to them. They resell car back to you with proper AL. paperwork. All states must accept paperwork from Alabama since it is one of 2 states (Al & NH) that DO NOT require titles on older vehicles. DO IT!
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57 Zwitter? wrote:
Broadway Title in Alabama. You write them a bill of sale selling car to them. They resell car back to you with proper AL. paperwork. All states must accept paperwork from Alabama since it is one of 2 states (Al & NH) that DO NOT require titles on older vehicles. DO IT!

Vermont is another state that, as a matter of rule, DOES NOT title vehicles older than 15 years.....I just went through that...see recent posts in my build thread....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anybody out there willing to donate a 57 title for this bad boy? Smile I might consider a trade for a runing TITLED 60s original ragtop or 58,59 Smile or a 2 door chevy 54 and down..
rat70fj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck at the DMV, eh?
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcelhaney14 wrote:
Have you talked to more than one DMV? I know where I am at if I go to Victorville it's like hell but if I drive to Barstow it's amazing what kind of things they can do. All of a sudden a form that didn't exist an hour ago appears. I don't see why it can't be brought back on the road. I've never had california give me problem as long as I was willing to pay the fees. Also try AAA if you have them.

I agree. That's why when I bought my '54 out there, I went to the Ridgecrest DMV office.
My VIN wasn't in the DMV system, so I went with the VIN inspection form, bill of sale, and an 'I need help' attitude.

Got it done for 50-ish bucks

*October '54 Ragtop
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in Illinois and we did the Bonded Title route for my sons '66 that had a 'dead' title.

He simply took it to a local Ford Dealer here to obtain a written appraisal for his car, which they appraised at $500, then he drove straight over to his insurance company and they did the Notary and the Bond for about $75 and all he had to put up for the bond itself was 1/2 of its appraised value... so he was out the door for $325... and had the new bonded title in his hand in under 3 weeks. And once the bond's duration passes, here it is 24 months, he will get the full amount of the vehicles bond.

Pretty painless actually... If you can do it in CA. I would absolutely take that route.
ovalbugmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking oval rag and I would find a way to get it on the road again. It doesn't look like "junk" to me. Wink Fix it up running and then have a mechanic certify that it is road worthy!! - notorize it and take that! to the DMV and shove it down their throat. lol Do NOT split up the matching vins on the body and pan - just to get a new vin so you can register it???(that's crazy) Shocked

Just apply for an abandoned title. If this car remains in your possession for 1 years time - you are entitled to ownership by applying for an abandoned title. I am talking the AZ. DMV which is bound to be different than Cali tho.

It's just red tape and you must get through it. Don't compromise the originalness of the car and don't give up on it - that thing has too much potential. Btw - an oval rag! -that's my dream car too!!
ovalbugmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
TonysGarage wrote:

+1 on that! That's not even an option. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: