Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can any body help save my 57 oval rag, this SUCKS!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovalbugmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
We're in Illinois and we did the Bonded Title route for my sons '66 that had a 'dead' title.

He simply took it to a local Ford Dealer here to obtain a written appraisal for his car, which they appraised at $500, then he drove straight over to his insurance company and they did the Notary and the Bond for about $75 and all he had to put up for the bond itself was 1/2 of its appraised value... so he was out the door for $325... and had the new bonded title in his hand in under 3 weeks. And once the bond's duration passes, here it is 24 months, he will get the full amount of the vehicles bond.

Pretty painless actually... If you can do it in CA. I would absolutely take that route.

Sounds like a good idea there! - the OP should check out that route too. Smile
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0nebadbug wrote:
We're in Illinois and we did the Bonded Title route for my sons '66 that had a 'dead' title.

He simply took it to a local Ford Dealer here to obtain a written appraisal for his car, which they appraised at $500, then he drove straight over to his insurance company and they did the Notary and the Bond for about $75 and all he had to put up for the bond itself was 1/2 of its appraised value... so he was out the door for $325... and had the new bonded title in his hand in under 3 weeks. And once the bond's duration passes, here it is 24 months, he will get the full amount of the vehicles bond.

Pretty painless actually... If you can do it in CA. I would absolutely take that route.
so by "dead title" do you mean a junk title or a salvaged title or no title? This car shows no sighns of ever being damaged. Thanks for the info..
doc's_turboVr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a dead title can NEVER be revived. ca sucks. i had a 73 monte carlo that had the same thing. i joined the military and took it with me when i moved to oklahoma and bam they said they dont do titles like cali so i got my 73 titled and then i got totaled 3 weeks later
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny chingas wrote:
0nebadbug wrote:

so by "dead title" do you mean a junk title or a salvaged title or no title? This car shows no sighns of ever being damaged. Thanks for the info..

Dead as in... No records found in any DMV's database gong back however far back they go.. On its VIN# about any kind of registrations, reports, titles clear, lost, replacements, abandon, salvage, crushed, stolen etc...

While he did get a title with it, the DMV pretty much just laughed at him and then got rude with him and more or less got downright nasty by us asking 100 questions about then how do we fix the problem... so a dead title & bill of sale.

The only way we even found out about bonding a title was from a friend of my wife's, also the Chief of Police here, that suggested it. Before that I never even heard of it.

In the end it is basically the same as a mechanics lien except, your not a mechanic with a bill in your hand and a past due balance on it, hence it having a bond on its head that is now recorded & issued as such...
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I still have the car with no luck on getting her titled, I have a bill of sale, chp vin verification, dmv vin verification, statement of facts, all correct paper work.. but they won't give me a title.. I have tried AAA and broadway title compony they don't due salvaged or junked cars.. dmv says the car is unrevised junk.. so if any body has a titled pan and body tag in california near orange county for sale please let me know!!!
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a complete 57 pan but its out of the computer with no papers. im in garden grove right down the road from you.
i have alot of dmv experience and its easy to register/get a title. ive done it about 10 times on other cars.(everyone of my splits, all of my ovals, my 1960, all 3 race cars, one of my 67s & my 72 super) and im probably forgetting a couple too

in my experience a car marked as junk/unrevised junk, means the title was turned into the dmv with it marked as it had been scrapped. unfortunately there is no way to re-register it and it will NOT go back out of the dmv system in 7 years.

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
TonysGarage wrote:

all kidding aside---that 57 pan that someone posted for $600--just get that and call it a day.

johnny chingas, if your ride is a matching numbers car, dont change out the pan! Shocked

or have a 1700lb chunk of metal that you cant ever register or drive. i would change the pan

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john7 wrote:
i have a complete 57 pan but its out of the computer with no papers. im in garden grove right down the road from you.
i have alot of dmv experience and its easy to register/get a title. ive done it about 10 times on other cars.(everyone of my splits, all of my ovals, my 1960, all 3 race cars, one of my 67s & my 72 super) and im probably forgetting a couple too

in my experience a car marked as junk/unrevised junk, means the title was turned into the dmv with it marked as it had been scrapped. unfortunately there is no way to re-register it and it will NOT go back out of the dmv system in 7 years.
. Yea I'm done talking to dmv and sacramento, it can't be done unless you have a junk receipt meaning you were the one or insurance compony who junked it out, the dmv knows who this person is but won't tell me.. does your pan have a matching body tag?
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe that it's impossible to bond for a registration in CA...

I even Just had a friend do what my son had to do for a late model-T he picked up from an estate sale.. VIN and bill of sale only. For a search fee the state coughed up all previous records in 3-4 weeks came back 1966, last plate# (and had a '66 plate on it as well), last registration# and last title#. And they built his bond from that information.
delux68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go through Vermont! did you even try that? do a search here on thesamba. i read about it last week and it looks really easy. dont give any details about the P.O., just the bill of sale and vin

follow these steps:
http://benboyle.com/blog/?p=16
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john7 wrote:

Any titled pans out there for sale in the orange county area I'm still looking for a 57 pan. An old friend once told me that "a closed mouth don't get fed", somebody's got to have a donner out there!!
redbug64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you could give me the vin and i could reg it here in vermont (no title required) then give you a bill of sale. If you require a title and i dont im sure that your state would issue you one once it was legal in another state? None of my cars have titles and im pretty sure you could buy one from me and reg it?? The only issue is SOMETIMES they require a vin verifiaction from an out of state vehicle. A cop would come to my house to check the paperwork against the vin on the car. It doesnt always happen, ive done it a few times with no problem. Send me a bill of sale with the vin and $60 (reg fee) and i'll try it. If it works i'll just send you a bill of sale to you from me and my reg from vt and you can go from there...

1954 Standard Beetle
1965 Firetruck Red Double Cab
1975 Porsche 911
1984 Rabbit L
1988 Scirocco 16v
Random Toyota daily drivers because winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

send Jason the stuff, for $60 what have you got to lose. That, or sell me the car, I can get it reg'd easy in canada, scrap or not. Wink
JLM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start restoring it! 7 years will be gone in no time flat. I had my 56 in the garage for 17 years before I was able to do anything with it, now I'm almost done. And just because your getting older does'nt mean squat. Good things come from paitence..................
TateG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/2845159854.html

I am not sure how much freight shipping would be, but besides the Samba check Craigslist or Crazedlist which lets you search multiple Craigslists. Or just move out of California and take the car with you. Smile I wish you the best of luck, it is definitely a keeper.
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLM wrote:
Start restoring it! 7 years will be gone in no time flat. I had my 56 in the garage for 17 years before I was able to do anything with it, now I'm almost done. And just because your getting older does'nt mean squat. Good things come from paitence..................
She will always have a junk title it won't clear after the 10 years.. It will always be in the system.. I'm starting to work on her little by little.. Just got her running. I was fed up with the DMV and all the title drama when I first started this post, your right good things come from patience!
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1237919
for a powder coated pan, with serial numbers?
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tittle it in az no issue
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:
tittle it in az no issue

can you title a california car in arizona if you live in california?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
bugguts
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get someone to title it in another state,then 'buy it back'
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: