Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can any body help save my 57 oval rag, this SUCKS!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny chingas wrote:
john7 wrote:
i have a complete 57 pan but its out of the computer with no papers. im in garden grove right down the road from you.
i have alot of dmv experience and its easy to register/get a title. ive done it about 10 times on other cars.(everyone of my splits, all of my ovals, my 1960, all 3 race cars, one of my 67s & my 72 super) and im probably forgetting a couple too

in my experience a car marked as junk/unrevised junk, means the title was turned into the dmv with it marked as it had been scrapped. unfortunately there is no way to re-register it and it will NOT go back out of the dmv system in 7 years.
. Yea I'm done talking to dmv and sacramento, it can't be done unless you have a junk receipt meaning you were the one or insurance compony who junked it out, the dmv knows who this person is but won't tell me.. does your pan have a matching body tag?

Changing the body tag would be considered fraud and could get the car taken from you and destroyed. There is no doubt in my mind that I could get a title for this car, it is especially easy if there is no record of it in the DMV... I sent you a PM, check it and let me know what you think.

Dustin
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDUBERYA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: I feel your pain Reply with quote

I have a 57 I bought out of an estate sale in Mississippi and have a professional typed bill of sale on letterhead for the vehicle from the executor of the estate and the North Carolina DMV is making me jump through fire hoops.
It should not be this hard to get a title!
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
johnny chingas wrote:
john7 wrote:
i have a complete 57 pan but its out of the computer with no papers. im in garden grove right down the road from you.
i have alot of dmv experience and its easy to register/get a title. ive done it about 10 times on other cars.(everyone of my splits, all of my ovals, my 1960, all 3 race cars, one of my 67s & my 72 super) and im probably forgetting a couple too

in my experience a car marked as junk/unrevised junk, means the title was turned into the dmv with it marked as it had been scrapped. unfortunately there is no way to re-register it and it will NOT go back out of the dmv system in 7 years.
. Yea I'm done talking to dmv and sacramento, it can't be done unless you have a junk receipt meaning you were the one or insurance compony who junked it out, the dmv knows who this person is but won't tell me.. does your pan have a matching body tag?

Changing the body tag would be considered fraud and could get the car taken from you and destroyed. There is no doubt in my mind that I could get a title for this car, it is especially easy if there is no record of it in the DMV... I sent you a PM, check it and let me know what you think.

Dustin
. There is a record of the car in the DMV, if there wasn't one I would have had a title by now...
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny chingas wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
johnny chingas wrote:
john7 wrote:

Dustin
. There is a record of the car in the DMV, if there wasn't one I would have had a title by now...

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the car was a dead title and that it didn't exist in the DMV... Either way a title is still attainable.
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have some friends that own a tow yard, if you do have them put it on a lien and you can get the title fast...If not do you live by me? I can help but only if you live close by
vw57drvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ship it to me, we dont need no stinking titles here.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that in CA once the car is "junked" it will remain so as the OP stated. Even a "reconstruction" title may not be an option. The only option for this situation is to get a chassis that needs a "replacement body".

There is no hope to ever register this car in CA, paying an out of state title company then trying to use said title will NOT work. When he goes to the DMV the VIN will still show a "junk" status in the computer and cause more problems, not to mention the cash he is out for the title service.

If the car is sold to an out of state indidvidual it may get a title, but if the state does check the CA system it still may not work.
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
The problem is that in CA once the car is "junked" it will remain so as the OP stated. Even a "reconstruction" title may not be an option. The only option for this situation is to get a chassis that needs a "replacement body".

There is no hope to ever register this car in CA, paying an out of state title company then trying to use said title will NOT work. When he goes to the DMV the VIN will still show a "junk" status in the computer and cause more problems, not to mention the cash he is out for the title service.

If the car is sold to an out of state indidvidual it may get a title, but if the state does check the CA system it still may not work.
That pretty much sums it up!! I had to learn the hard way! Don't buy a car with out having the vin numbers checked out with your local DMV or AAA boys and girls for any back fees or junked titles! Thanks Derluftqagen!
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have any first hand experience with this but when I went to change ownership of my 56, it was not in the CA system. Nothing,

Check the VIN I said, nope, out of the system, After 8-10 years was their response if its not registered, its out. This would include non-operation, as that is still in the system.

not sure how it can be out of the system and still have a record of "junked"

peter
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars that fell out of the system due to non registration are a different story. You can do most of the things that were recommended in this thread to get a title. Lost title, statement of facts, pay fees and a title comes to you. Salvaged is different than junked, as is reconstructed.

CA no longer deletes old records from their system. Back in the good old days 3-5 years of inactivity the system would drop the data, then it went to 7-10 years. The term "revenue enhancement" was used and collecting 10 years of back fees seemed like a good way to get more money from the public.

There were always a few ways a VIN would never be out of the system, stolen and "junked". When a salvage yard would turn in paperwork for a car that was "destroyed" for scrap that VIN would always remain in a "junked" status as where the OPs car is now in. Even if the car was parted but the body and frame were never destroyed the "junked" VIN makes it unregisterable in this state.
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent lots of time and energy trying to get this car titled, even contacting the salvage yard who DMV says "junked" the car to try and get the records on this cars vin, which by the way there was no record of her ever being junked there. Thanks to everyone for there thoughts, comments and opinions on how to get her titled. She is not for sale! Lots of Pm's on people wanting to buy her... Im still looking for a titled 57 pan, I will update this forum with new pictures and any updates soon!!
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up Johnny, I battled the same sheit for a year. See 57 thread below. Was freaked out by the whole ordeal for a long time until it got resolved. People don't realize how f'd up it is to not have a title. Keep us posted and good luck!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
denizen224
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got family (or a real good friend) in another state with better titling/bonding laws for such an issue? Have them title it in their name in their state. Then, rather than tryinig to run that title past CA DMV, have them get an insurance policy for it listing you as an authorized driver, register it in their state, and have 'em send you the tag. Send 'em the money for all of that, of course, along with something as a thank you gift.

So now you're driving around in CA in an oval with NM (or where ever) tags... "Hey, it belongs to my uncle and he's loaning it to me 'for a while', here's all the paperwork..." Wink

I do something like that with my car hauler, tho' obviously it's easier with a trailer. Hopefully there's no inspection requirement for vintage vehicles in that state, unless you want to go visit 'em occasionally. Cool
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denizen224 wrote:
Got family (or a real good friend) in another state with better titling/bonding laws for such an issue? Have them title it in their name in their state. Then, rather than tryinig to run that title past CA DMV, have them get an insurance policy for it listing you as an authorized driver, register it in their state, and have 'em send you the tag. Send 'em the money for all of that, of course, along with something as a thank you gift.

So now you're driving around in CA in an oval with NM (or where ever) tags... "Hey, it belongs to my uncle and he's loaning it to me 'for a while', here's all the paperwork..." Wink

I do something like that with my car hauler, tho' obviously it's easier with a trailer. Hopefully there's no inspection requirement for vintage vehicles in that state, unless you want to go visit 'em occasionally. Cool

You may live in "Merry Land", but in Baltimore county, one of the fun things the police like to do is investigate out of state tags on apartment parking lots.

They ride through and make notes of tag numbers and dates. Latter they stop you as you are leaving for work in the morning and you get a nice big ticket because you didn't register your car with in the 30 day limit when you moved here. Telling them you are just visiting won't work either. You still get the ticket and have to appear in court to explain to the judge while you don't have Maryland tags.
denizen224
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
You may live in "Merry Land", but in Baltimore county, one of the fun things the police like to do is investigate out of state tags on apartment parking lots.

They ride through and make notes of tag numbers and dates. Latter they stop you as you are leaving for work in the morning and you get a nice big ticket because you didn't register your car with in the 30 day limit when you moved here. Telling them you are just visiting won't work either. You still get the ticket and have to appear in court to explain to the judge while you don't have Maryland tags.

Well, Merry Land (even Balto. Co.) isn't Kalifornia. Maybe they're too busy conducting high speed chases on the I-5 to play such games there. Wink

More to the point, note that you're responding in the first person - you can't tell the judge that you're just visiting, or why you didn't register when you moved there. If the vehicle legally belongs to "uncle" who still legally lives in another state (and you have all the documents to show that) and he's just "loaning" you the vehicle for an unprescribed amount of time, I don't think they'd have much of a leg to stand on.

In the given situation, such a thing would be worth a shot compared to just having a nice lawn ornament that you can't drive, and, depending on inspection issues, would be a lot easier to try before doing a pan swap. It'd also give you clean paper to the chassis (which I'd keep even if I had to do a swap) for future resale, at least outside of Kalifornia.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
one of the fun things the police like to do is investigate out of state tags on apartment parking lots.

In CA a newer car that blends in with the crowd may not be a problem. A friend of mine ran EXPIRED Alabama tags for years with no trouble on a newer dodge truck. In a fixed up bug the plates WILL stand out over time and yes the 30 day time limit will get you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: