Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone carry self defense items or weapons, if any?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two go with me where ever I go:

Zeus (70lb Staffy, yes, that's a 6' long, 4" diameter birch log)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And Trapper (130lbs of Dane\APBT)

Two weeks ago I had a road rage incident with an obviously either unstable guy or he was just having a REALLY bad day. At the next light, he jumped out of his car, ran up to the passenger side of my truck, slammed his hands on the side of my truck, and started screaming 'colorful' words at me. But the time the second word came out of his mouth, the two above who were resting comfortably on the floor launched up and sounded off. I do think I saw a stain down the front of his pants as he sprinted back to his car....
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

then there are the facts that firearms are dramatically heavy ( S&W 686, 2" barrel.
my Beretta is a little heavy but my glocks or my Ruger are lighter than one of my steel toed boots.

GEX has. Just sayin
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
then there are the facts that firearms are dramatically heavy ( S&W 686, 2" barrel )

Question My XD45c weighs about as much as a 686 snubbie, and I don't even notice it hanging on my belt.
Check out my ongoing story.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ImAddicted"]These two go with me where ever I go:

Zeus (70lb Staffy, yes, that's a 6' long, 4" diameter birch log)

And Trapper (130lbs of Dane\APBT)

Two weeks ago I had a road rage incident with an obviously either unstable guy or he was just having a REALLY bad day. At the next light, he jumped out of his car, ran up to the passenger side of my truck, slammed his hands on the side of my truck, and started screaming 'colorful' words at me. But the time the second word came out of his mouth, the two above who were resting comfortably on the floor launched up and sounded off. I do think I saw a stai

Awesome story, I am getting ready to bring home another Rottweiler, I just saw on the news of this idiot who tried to rob a jewelry store in CA, the clerk wrestled with him for the gun until 140 lbs of Rottweiler fury came and kicked his @ss. Got me all pumped up about dogs for protection.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Springfield Armory XD-40 sub compact. I wanted something a bit bigger than my LCP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

Awesome story, I am getting ready to bring home another Rottweiler, I just saw on the news of this idiot who tried to rob a jewelry store in CA, the clerk wrestled with him for the gun until 140 lbs of Rottweiler fury came and kicked his @ss. Got me all pumped up about dogs for protection.
I have a friend that is a state trooper up my way. One day he was doing a protection detail at a hospital and he had his shotgun with him. One of the administrators walked up to him and asked very snidely 'Do you think that is really necessary? Do you think a shotgun will be needed?'

His reply?

'Find that if people see I have a shotgun, I rarely need it.'

That's the way I am with my dogs. I'd rather give some scumbag all my worldly possessions than have any of my family get hurt, that includes the dogs. But, what I've found is having 5 good-sized dogs, people tend to keep their distance. Between the two guys above, the wolf-hybred, the plott hound, and the basset...just the shear volume of noise when anyone approaches the house makes most stop at the end of the driveway.

Two years ago my wife was sitting on the front steps at about 11pm having a smoke while waiting for out daughter to get dropped off from a date. A guy came around the side of the vacant house next door, obviously trying to not attract attention. Before she could reach for her phone or get back inside, he was in the driveway...two steps in the driveway. What he didn't know or see was she was sitting there with Trapper and Zena (the wolf hybred). One growl from Trapper (Zena doesn't growl or bark, though occasionally she will howl) and a couple of slow steps towards the guy by both the dogs and he bolted down the street. The cops picked him up about an hour later trying to get in the back door of a Dunkin Donuts. I'm not sure what his intentions were in MY yard, but I suspect it wasn't good.

Oh, and my neighbor is a QA for SigArms. Probably the safest block in town:)
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not opposed to weapons just find they are unnecessary, and for 99% of people are more dangerous to the one carrying in a defense situation than to the perp. You have to be willing to pull it and fire......first! Most talk a good line of bs/bravado and most won't do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
Not opposed to weapons just find they are unnecessary, and for 99% of people are more dangerous to the one carrying in a defense situation than to the perp. You have to be willing to pull it and fire......first! Most talk a good line of bs/bravado and most won't do that.

Haha!!! 99% sounds like a "good line of bs" to me.
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please stay on topic so we don't end up locking this thread for degrading into a debate on issues.

There are lots of other places to debate on the internet.

Thanks.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennepher wrote:
Please stay on topic so we don't end up locking this thread for degrading into a debate on issues.

There are lots of other places to debate on the internet.

Thanks.

Thank you.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:

Interesting point....but you live in one of the most sparsely populated areas in the US. And.....not being able to know who those (supposed) 1% are who will use what they visibly carry (which those who visibly carry is a different percentage than those who just own a weapon and store it out of sight).

You might have a different opinion living in SE Philly, South Atlanta, East Dallas.....ll places I have lived.

Right now....I am about to start the local concealed carry program. I will have to get something smaller than my Glock 21 to carry when Im on the road. Ray
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Right now....I am about to start the local concealed carry program. I will have to get something smaller than my Glock 21 to carry when Im on the road. Ray

I have a 30s that is easy to carry

GEX has. Just sayin
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Right now....I am about to start the local concealed carry program. I will have to get something smaller than my Glock 21 to carry when I'm on the road. Ray

I have a 30s that is easy to carry

I like my Taurus 24/7 pro C 9mm.

My dad bought a Ruger LCP, but it was too small for his hands (and mine). He now has the Ruger LC9. Excellent choice.

Last edited by cdennisg on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I will be looking at those and other, compact carry's.
Ray
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a firearm in my hands since 1985.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I will have to get something smaller than my Glock 21 to carry when Im on the road. Ray

I personally don't have a CCW permit, but my 2 smallest pistols are a Colt Detective Special and a Bersa Thunder .380. Both are small and excellent shooters. The Bersa has excellent reviews and the price is surprisingly low. Some might consider the .380 lacking in power, but???
I'm actually trying to decide between the Ruger LC9 and the SR9c right now. Tough choice, might just have to get both.
Currently I just carry a spring assisted knife with a clip on it and I can still run pretty fast.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
I will have to get something smaller than my Glock 21 to carry when Im on the road. Ray

I personally don't have a CCW permit, but my 2 smallest pistols are a Colt Detective Special and a Bersa Thunder .380. Both are small and excellent shooters. The Bersa has excellent reviews and the price is surprisingly low. Some might consider the .380 lacking in power, but???
I'm actually trying to decide between the Ruger LC9 and the SR9c right now. Tough choice, might just have to get both.
Currently I just carry a spring assisted knife with a clip on it and I can still run pretty fast.

The only reason for me to get one is because in certain areas of travel for business ( certain industrial areas in the dark of night).....and when out hiking or exploring mostly in summer snake weather....I carry a pistol.

Without a CCW.....you will get hassled. Even when going to the range with a pistol in the trunk...which is certainly legal if its unloaded etc.....many law enforcement people will hassle you on the fringes of legality and delay you.

I have met national park rangers and park services people in certain states that have lots of snakes...that will read you chapter and verse for being out deep in the weeds without at the very least...something like an 8 shot .22 or .25 pistol at minimum for snakes....and in the next breath tell you that if you carry one.....also get a CCW.

Many national parks give no hassle to hikers and explorers without a CCW who carry small pistols like that which are clearly for snake/varmint protection....buut you never know who you are dealing with.

I think its just better to try to avoid having and minor weapons related charge on your record. You know how hard that typ of thing can be to erase. Ray
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, I don’t blame or question you one bit for wanting to have a permit. I lived in San Diego for years and it was one of those counties here in CA that was real hard to obtain one so I gave up on the thought a while ago. I believe within the last year (give or take) that some Fed judges ruled that denying people a CCW permit was unconstitutional under certain situations and now more permits are being issued.
I now live just north of SD and this county has always issued them with much less hassle. I’ve considered applying for one, but still undecided if I want the responsibility that goes with it. It’s something I think about frequently though.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good choice for a comfortable to carry/easy to shoot weapon is the 9mm Makarov, official sidearm of the former eastern block countries.

FU#3
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Another good choice for a comfortable to carry/easy to shoot weapon is the 9mm Makarov, official sidearm of the former eastern block countries.

Hey.....that kind of fits! Things have been starting to feel sort of "eastern-blockish" over the past few years.... Laughing
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 26

Jump to: