Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone carry self defense items or weapons, if any?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alain riaud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
alain riaud wrote:

I agree, when you are surrounded by weapon carriers, you would like to carry one too, but violence brings violence.

In my van I carry a "machete", officially for wood splitting.
I used it only once for frightening. Efficient enough in my mind.

The above demonstrates your feeling of a " need" to have a weapon for self defense, should the need arise. Your choice of weapon is based on what is available to you. Seems you are not as different from "us" as you've attempted convince us you are.

In some way you are right.
But there is a big difference between a gun and a machete.
With a machete you cannot kill if you are not expert.
With a gun you can kill if you are not expert.
Hope you are expert.
During a road trip in your country, while boondocking, I had to deal with a bunch of youngster. I got rid of them with a camera flash. With a gun it would have been more efficient.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alain riaud wrote:

With a machete you cannot kill if you are not expert.
You are wrong there. Expert or not, it would be no problem to kill with a machete. Just start hacking.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alain riaud wrote:
Surprizing thread.
We live in a different world.

Here, carrying a weapon is not legal unless it's a hunting gun, discharged, with permit, only during hunting season.
I don't remember any "Columbine college disaster" during my whole life.

I agree, when you are surrounded by weapon carriers, you would like to carry one too, but violence brings violence.

In my van I carry a "machete", officially for wood splitting.
I used it only once for frightening. Efficient enough in my mind.

Columbine had nothing to do with a college! And, guns didn't cause what happened. Also, the "kids" were prepared to use Propane .... they had intentions of mass destruction and death, with or without guns! In fact, if they had not had guns, Plan B (the propane, and who knows what else), could have been far worse!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest courage you can have is NOT when to take a life but when to spare one.

I am a lifetime NRA, CCW. My personal carry is Sig 229 double/single in .40 SW. I shoot highpower AR -which I built several. Have true-to-form M14 semi-all usgi parts cept for the Smith receivers. What I love to have is Spas-12 shotgun. Very Happy

You can get in lots of legal troubles if you do not know all the rules or ordinances when/where you carry. It is not that easy to get CCW in some states. And you have to prove competency which I do agree. Cannot just have someone carry a firearm and done.

It is a very dangerous tool. Competency is everything. Gotta have the proper attitude too.

You can get arrested for brandishing/assault just lifting up your shirt. This is probably the biggest mistake CCW people always make. One, you don't check it by fingering it, adjust it or whatever it is that will give idea to people you have heat on you.

And someone here mentioned 'bluffing' w/ it.... this is the best way to get killed by cops..or other CCW. You don't do it.

The only time it comes out of the holster is the precise moment your life or loved one's is about to be taken and saving it. That is it!

And you always make sure the entry wounds are front!! NOT BACK! Or you can end up in jail for manslaughter.

There is a whole lot of stuff you have to be responsible for when you carry. Something to keep in mind when considering CCW.

Peace.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
What I love to have is Spas-12 shotgun. Very Happy

Peace.

Had one of those -- Highly recommend a Mossberg 930 -- Jerry Miculek edition -- twice the gun, really

Here's a video with Jerry shooting -- go to 14:40 to see him really unload some rounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs1vSeg0nFI
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
nsracing wrote:
What I love to have is Spas-12 shotgun. Very Happy

Peace.

Had one of those -- Highly recommend a Mossberg 930 -- Jerry Miculek edition -- twice the gun, really

Here's a video with Jerry shooting -- go to 14:40 to see him really unload some rounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs1vSeg0nFI

HAHAHAHA Good stuff! I like the setup that starts @ 16:37. No way in hell could I do that.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea! If you are on the receiving end of that one, there will NOT be any fingerprints leftover to collect. Laughing

That is the proper mindset. Just easy-going. And put some rounds downrange.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a914622 wrote:
Funny you should ask. I know of someone that always has a can of Hornet spray close at hand in her car. From what iv been told she used it at a coffee stand to blind a robber. It has a 12-20 foot spray and will blind you for 30 min or so. Plus the cops dont see it as a weapon.

food for thought.

jcl

We did some first person shooter response training at my work a few months ago and our company policy is no guns and no mace at the office. The first thing the trainer said was that according to our policies, we can use wasp spray and that it's extremely effective and you don't need very good aim...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="marklaken"]
a914622 wrote:
our company policy is no guns and no mace at the office..

unless they check your lunchbox, if I felt threatened I would bring one to work. granted, I wouldn't bring one if I worked with a bunch of old ladies knitting blankets, but if I were to work in a impound yard I would be apt to carry.

I don't know. just hope I never have to be in that situation

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell...I carry when I am working in the garage w/ the door open. The Sig on me and then I have the AR carbine w/ 28-round 62gr steel penetrators by the toolbox. Once it gets dark I carry the carbine on its 3-point CQB sling across my back while I am machining. Laughing

My neighbor is worse - he carries a shotgun while he mows. Laughing

2A man. Your 2nd Amend rights is not for duck hunting.

I feel for other anti-2A states. The people there are basically caught behind enemy lines.

Cannot wait for the National Reciprocity Act to pass.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
a914622 wrote:
Funny you should ask. I know of someone that always has a can of Hornet spray close at hand in her car. From what iv been told she used it at a coffee stand to blind a robber. It has a 12-20 foot spray and will blind you for 30 min or so. Plus the cops dont see it as a weapon.

food for thought.

jcl

We did some first person shooter response training at my work a few months ago and our company policy is no guns and no mace at the office. The first thing the trainer said was that according to our policies, we can use wasp spray and that it's extremely effective and you don't need very good aim...

"It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling".....food for thought.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
marklaken wrote:
a914622 wrote:

food for thought.

jcl

"It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling".....food for thought.

If the Feds tried to pursue someone for using hornet spray in self defense, I'm pretty sure they would get laughed out of court.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

Cannot wait for the National Reciprocity Act to pass.

Do you suppose that has any chance of happening any time soon? I would welcome it.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

If the Feds tried to pursue someone for using hornet spray in self defense, I'm pretty sure they would get laughed out of court.

A POS breaks into your home and you use hornet spray. He lives, but has respiratory problems and loses one eye. He sues in a liberal court. Let me know how that works out for ya. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

A POS breaks into your home and you use hornet spray. He lives, but has respiratory problems and loses one eye. He sues in a liberal court. Let me know how that works out for ya. Wink

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by six.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like NS racing's idea better. Sig.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
I like NS racing's idea better. Sig.

Me, too, though I use a Taurus. But, when in need of something, anything is better than nothing.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course. I would not hesitate for a second to use whatever means I have to at the time. Smile

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Yes, of course. I would not hesitate for a second to use whatever means I have to at the time. Smile

And when you are at a workplace that restricts what you can have at hand, hornet spray, carb cleaner, even random office or industrial supplies may suffice.

I wonder if there has ever been an incident where an attacker was successfully rebutted by a desktop stapler? Laughing
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bear spray for hiking/camping. Never felt threatened except in Yellowstone Park backcountry - way too much night noise near my camp that night to ever consider falling asleep. Crawled out of my tent at daybreak to find a pair of geese carcasses on the shore of the nearby lake. Not sure if it was wolves, grizzlies, cougars or coyotes. I never heard any vocal sounds not even the geese - just lots of movement, which made me suspect cougars...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 26

Jump to: