Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hi From South Africa! Our 1966 Kombi
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadhawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Hi From South Africa! Our 1966 Kombi Reply with quote

HEy!!

So me and a Buddy have just bought our first aircooled Dub, a 66 Kombi. We have been messing around on the watercooled scene for a while (him being the Ex-chairman of the VWClub of SA and Me being the new chairman Very Happy ) but now we have dived headlong into the oldschool!

We heard about a splitty sitting in a guys yard through a friend, and went to take a look. Turns out his brother bought it and never really drove it and it had been standing for about 4 yrs. We figured why the hell not, the engine started, it moved forwards and backwards, the lights and indicators worked....only mehcanical problem was the brakes that didnt work at all, pedal to the floor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inside (he had been storing stuff in it)

Rust

More rust

Loaded on the piggyback

Outside the workshop to get the brakes sorted

The guy at the workshop is gonna sort the brakes (he's letting us buy the parts though to keep the cost down) and then also give the whole bus a once over to let us know if there are any sever problems that need immediate attantion.

We arent looking to do a big resto job, not yet anyway. For now we just want to get it running good and safe and leave it OG (Although i'm 90% sure that's not original paint....tempted to try cut it back and see...).

I'm sure we'll be back here soon with questions Very Happy I can't even explain how excited I am though!!!!!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, it looks pretty nice!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Congratulations, it looks pretty nice!

x2

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadhawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

We towed t straight to the shop and left it there on Saturday....So we kinda had it for like an hour.....I'm just ITCHING to get it back and start cleaning the thing.
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing harder than leaving it right after you bought it, I still have one on a trailer myself...

Looks like a real nice bus.. How is S Africa? Is it a pretty cool place to live?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadhawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:
Nothing harder than leaving it right after you bought it, I still have one on a trailer myself...

Looks like a real nice bus.. How is S Africa? Is it a pretty cool place to live?

Haha, hard question to Answer...

It's home I guess Laughing If I could get a greencard i'd be in the states tomorrow, have family in San Francisco and everything.

But it's beautiful here, still loads of open space, I live in the biggest city in the country but drive 20mins an i'm practically in the bush. Beautiful beaches down by the coast (I'm way inland though).

The New Government is both good and bad, loads of corruption and complete stupidity at times but things seem to be on the up if they can sort out education, unemployment and the crime rate. As long as it doesnt go the way of Zimbabwe and the likes then we're sorted Very Happy

Steadily growing Dub culture, we've been trying to get people back to the clean oldschool styles with Dubs, rather than gross chrome 17's on Mk1s and the like, which is a plague here!!! Come visit hehehe
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The New Government is both good and bad, loads of corruption and complete stupidity at times but things seem to be on the up if they can sort out education, unemployment and the crime rate. As long as it doesnt go the way of Zimbabwe and the likes then we're sorted
[/code]

It wouldn't be much different than San Francisco Wink Enjoy your new bus it looks like a busload of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beings it's Africa, is it one of those knocked down busses?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this person is in your neck of the woods or not but...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9893
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to visit, but that'll probably never happen.. I like open country. Keep us posted on your progress and as always we love pics..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadhawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

What you mean??

And South Africa, on the whole, is pretty different from the rest of the African countries. We have a half decent economy, developement happening, very rich cities etc

But yeah.
Neuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I am the buddy that has bought the Kombi with Roadhawg Very Happy Super excited for this project, just keen to get her up and running again and on the road so we can use her and tackle some of the mroe serious rust spots and issues...

South Africa is such a great place for buses like this, we keen to roll down to the Kwa-Zulu Natal coast, go camping in her and do some other roadtrips Very Happy

More pictures to follow when we get her back and give her a good clean...

Cheers
Nic
Neuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadhawg wrote:
BarryL wrote:

What you mean??

Stu - I think BarryL means that it was largely manufactured overseas, and then transported here as a kit and assembled, instead of being manufactured here like the Polo's and Golf's are now...
volksfahrer.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neuk wrote:
Roadhawg wrote:
BarryL wrote:

What you mean??

Stu - I think BarryL means that it was largely manufactured overseas, and then transported here as a kit and assembled, instead of being manufactured here like the Polo's and Golf's are now...

Since the South Arican language looks alot like Dutch; do you have any
idea what your nickname means in Dutch???

66 panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksfahrer.nl wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Roadhawg wrote:
BarryL wrote:

What you mean??

Since the South Arican language looks alot like Dutch; do you have any
idea what your nickname means in Dutch???

Ha Ha - We speak 11 official languages here, including Afrikaans which is a lot like Dutch Wink And I know what my nick means in Dutch....
Roadhawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neuk wrote:

Ahhhh I see.

Well yes. It has a German Plate on the Roof inside, and then there was another plate that said it had been built by "South African Auto Builders" or something.

Neuk has that other plate so he could say.
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to thesamba.com Neuk and Roadhawg, and congratulations on getting your bus.

obus, I am in the same city as they are, and we've already met on the local ACVW forum. Check it out at http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za

And yes, their bus was a CKD, made in Germany and assembled in South Africa. Local content laws mean certain parts, like glass, tyres, batteries, etc were made in SA, but the rest came from Germany.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadhawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fig wrote:
Welcome to thesamba.com Neuk and Roadhawg, and congratulations on getting your bus.

obus, I am in the same city as they are, and we've already met on the local ACVW forum. Check it out at http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za

And yes, their bus was a CKD, made in Germany and assembled in South Africa. Local content laws mean certain parts, like glass, tyres, batteries, etc were made in SA, but the rest came from Germany.

Thanks Fig. Never knew that.

Ive been sitting researching all this aircooled/oldschool stuff everynight. It's a pretty steep learning curve hehehe. I think we gonna have to buy a welder...or make friends with someone who has one.

Im gonna go past the Workshop tomorrow and see how it's getting on. Need to find out what brake parts i need to buy and stuff.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fig wrote:

so much for the introduction then! lol Wink
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wexford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I'd look at getting the following done as a minimum:

damaged outriggers/jacking points
cargo floor holes
damaged outer sill/s (often meaning inner too, and strengthener)
gutters (breaking out badly)

Not meaning to rain on the parade but I can see a fair amount of work in that bus under the paint. I'd also check bulkhead seams, tophats where the floor is suspect, lower front valance inners etc

Of course, depends what level you want to take it too. But that's where I'd start...

Ben
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: