Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tranny Input Shaft Bearing Number
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Tranny Input Shaft Bearing Number Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Could someone confirm that the number for my SKF t1 tranny input shaft front bearing is 306924? This is the one you can see if you pull the nose cone. I need one and the thrust washer directly behind it.

Also, where can I get these parts? Google is useless
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year transmission? The MAINshaft bearing is 113 311 123a up to 72 later trans use a 002 m/s bearing however you typically would use a 091 brg. without the thrust washer.
I can supply you with whatever you need or call Weddle industries
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the late throwout bearing with the 4.12 r&p, number AH3436446. The only digit on the bearing that I'm not sure of is the 9. Is this something NAPA could get? Any idea how much one of these bearings is? What about the washer?
Bill271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erco has them
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early m/s brg will be between 15-50 bucks depending on origin, a thrust washer is about 5 bucks
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the correct SKF number? 306924?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartman wrote:
Is that the correct SKF number? 306924?

From what I can tell that is the # for an early m/s bearing, good luck finding it that way, SKF has not produced that bearing in ages. And if you need a 4th gear thrust washer you also have other problems, ie fourth end play

Also you have been advised as to where to get the correct parts by more than one person(I have built over 1000 t-1 gearboxes) so why ask again?

And I like your sig KCR sucks, I don't dissagree but you should do some homework as I bet Kevin knows what part goes where
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I wanted to try to get one locally. I want to be able to shop around. I want to try to cross-reference the SKF number with the number for other manufacturers if possible.

I respect that you have built thousands of transaxles and I'm sorry if I'm irritating you and I'm really not trying to squander the help you are providing but I have to ask why you are participating in this thread if you think it's too much trouble. Couldn't you simply stop responding if you think I'm wasting your time (which I'm not trying to do)? It's sometimes difficult to read emotions over the Internet but your response comes off as a bit snarky.

Oh, and this isn't my KCR tranny. That one lost reverse( again). This one, iirc, lost 3rd and 4th. I'm just pulling it apart to get a little familiarity with the innards. I have this one and another ( dropped 2nd, I think) plus the KCR and my plan is to try to get one working tranny between these two and hopefully get enough experience to fix the reverse in the KCR.

I'm actually trying to do my homework now. I have this link and the Haynes book and everything seems pretty straightforward. As to my 4th gear thrust, my 4th gear has separated a bit from its synchronizer which probably has something to do with the thrust washer getting eaten up.

Ok, last question. My 4th gear is of a rather fine cut. The pics in my two references both show a much coarser cut gear. It is a bit chewed up so it will surely need to be replace. So, what's the deal with the different gears?
gearheadgumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think napa will have that bearing. another number to try to find would be 515828. this is the number of the newer style mainshaft bearing that will replace what you have now. you can change the 4th gear to a earlier style that is course toothed. just make sure the one you are getting is for a splined pinion shaft. the reason your 4th is most likely damaged is from a lot of hard miles. like mcm scott said take your time with repairing your trans. it really gets annoying taking the trans in and out a couple of times.
to get the parts most transaxle repair places will have these parts in stock, so you should be able to get them close to you. hope this helps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Is that an SKF number?

I'm not holding my breath that this tranny will go back together right. It'll be a nice bonus if it does. I'm still in the market for another fifty dollar replacement. Mainly, I just wanted to get into one so I could have an idea of what's going on when I try to fix the reverse in that KCR tranny I have in the corner.

And, yeah, it does suck pulling a tranny repeatedly, even more when the thing cost over 600 bucks and it has to be sent to the other end of the country for a fix that lasts 2 weeks. Next time I want to buy a high dollar tranny I'll get a Rancho. At least if I have a problem I can take it to 4 Wheel Parts up in Jacksonville. They're a Rancho dealer. That's what I get for trying to support the little guy.
gearheadgumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearheadgumby wrote:
....... 515828.

That's a FAG bearing number.
Don't bother with any non-VW source for a FAG or SKF bearing, they will NOT have it. General bearing stores have standard bearings. The MS bearing asked above is a special VW design, and has been obsolete from both SKF and FAG for at least 3 decades.
Go ahead and waste your time at NAPA, then go home and mail order what you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation, Bruce. That's what I figured. I won't bother locally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: