Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Box tool and adjustment
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyfeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Steering Box tool and adjustment Reply with quote

I have a 67 sedan that I had a new steering box installed 10,000 miles ago. I have done a front end check by pulling on the wheels to rule out tie rod ends and wheel bearing play. I have about 4 inches of slop in the steering wheel when parked. I have Bently, and have read about proceedure to adjust steering box. I do not have a tool that will fit in the large allen nut on the box. I called VW Paradise, a pretty old and busy VW repair shop and they neither have this tool, or even know about adjusting the box with it. The service guy said to adjust the screw on top. I'm not too happy that they are unaware of the correct proceedure as outlined in Bently, but would like to adjust the box correctly. My question is does anybody in San Diego/Orange county have a tool to work that big allen nut? Would you sell/lend the tool or adjust box for me? Is there a repair shop that has tool and knows the correct proceedure? Should I just adjust the top screw and see how that works out? I like to do things right, the first time, don't mind paying to have work performed correctly, and want my car to have tight, original feel to the steering. Am I insane? :wink:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a bolt with a head the same size as the plug hex. Cut it off, and either turn it with a wrench on it (if the bolt head is thick), or grab the bolt shank with vice grips, or with a wrench on the flats you can grind on the bolt shank.

You are right to adjust this first, before (over)tightening the setscrew on top. USUALLY the big plug is set right, but if not, you really stress the gear by over-tightening the setscrew.

With 4 inches of play, I'd check the rubber coupler and Pittman arm first, though.

And all adjustments are done on a freshly greased beam, on jack-stands, and following the procedure's instructions about turning the wheel to the side a given amount before adjusting, right?

And check and set your toe-in aferwords. Even with a little play, correct toe-in will make it track and even self-center better (although it's [non-adjustable] caster that does most of the centering).
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box tool and adjustment Reply with quote

billyfeet wrote:
I have a 67 sedan that I had a new steering box installed 10,000 miles ago. I have done a front end check by pulling on the wheels to rule out tie rod ends and wheel bearing play. I have about 4 inches of slop in the steering wheel when parked. I have Bently, and have read about proceedure to adjust steering box. I do not have a tool that will fit in the large allen nut on the box. I called VW Paradise, a pretty old and busy VW repair shop and they neither have this tool, or even know about adjusting the box with it. The service guy said to adjust the screw on top. I'm not too happy that they are unaware of the correct proceedure as outlined in Bently, but would like to adjust the box correctly. My question is does anybody in San Diego/Orange county have a tool to work that big allen nut? Would you sell/lend the tool or adjust box for me? Is there a repair shop that has tool and knows the correct proceedure? Should I just adjust the top screw and see how that works out? I like to do things right, the first time, don't mind paying to have work performed correctly, and want my car to have tight, original feel to the steering. Am I insane? Wink

when new steering box was installed- was it a TRW???? did you put trans grease (thick oil-80/90wt) in it or did you use a universal grease??

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Find a bolt with a head the same size as the plug hex. Cut it off, and either turn it with a wrench on it (if the bolt head is thick), or grab the bolt shank with vice grips, or with a wrench on the flats you can grind on the bolt shank.

You are right to adjust this first, before (over)tightening the setscrew on top. USUALLY the big plug is set right, but if not, you really stress the gear by over-tightening the setscrew.

With 4 inches of play, I'd check the rubber coupler and Pittman arm first, though.

And all adjustments are done on a freshly greased beam, on jack-stands, and following the procedure's instructions about turning the wheel to the side a given amount before adjusting, right?

And check and set your toe-in aferwords. Even with a little play, correct toe-in will make it track and even self-center better (although it's [non-adjustable] caster that does most of the centering).

oil pressure switch is correct 12 point for this.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
billyfeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much thanks for the replies. It is a TRW box, VW Paradise installed it, so I do not know if they filled it. I'll check with them if they fill the box, and if it comes filled. I think I have an old oil press switch, thanks for the tip.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67 used late style box, with two plastic plugs, and used high pressure moly grease, not oil.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:

oil pressure switch is correct 12 point for this.

Yep, I've gutted bad oil pressure switches before and turned them into a tool to use for this. They need to be the taller style switches though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tool I made from a 15/15" nut welded to a piece of flat stock:

I tighten and loosen the locknut by turning it by hand while turning the adjuster with the wrench.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartman wrote:

Is that the same as a 1" nut?
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant to say 15/16" nut

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
bartman wrote:

Is that the same as a 1" nut?

squirmyman wrote:
I think he meant to say 15/16" nut

Yeah,
what he said Laughing
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just bustin... Wink

Despite the large size of the "plug", that is only because it pushes on a bearing that is a large diameter. It takes very little torque to snug it up. So you don't need an industrial strength wrench.
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Despite the large size of the "plug", that is only because it pushes on a bearing that is a large diameter. It takes very little torque to snug it up. So you don't need an industrial strength wrench.

I don't have a wrench for the lockring so I adjust it as necessary, back it off a bit, tighten the lockring by hand, and tighten the wrench as I tighten the lockring by hand. It takes a bit of trial and error but it's the only way I can do it.

Before I got a welder I used a sender and wrench but it was a little more awkward
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartman wrote:
I don't have a wrench for the lockring so I adjust it as necessary, back it off a bit, tighten the lockring by hand, and tighten the wrench as I tighten the lockring by hand. It takes a bit of trial and error but it's the only way I can do it.

Pretty much the same method as adjusting valves (backing off and letting the tightening settle on the correct adjustment), nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartman wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

I don't have a wrench for the lockring so I adjust it as necessary,

Imade my lockring wrench from flat stock.
Marvin

bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GA_Boy wrote:
bartman wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

I don't have a wrench for the lockring so I adjust it as necessary,

Imade my lockring wrench from flat stock.
Marvin

Nice. I though about making something similar but my method has worked so far so it hasn't been a priority.

Does it have any heat treatment?
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No heat treatment but it didn't loose its shape. I didn't put a lot of torque on it though.
Marvin
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Box tool and adjustment Reply with quote

billyfeet wrote:
I have a 67 sedan that I had a new steering box installed 10,000 miles ago. I have done a front end check by pulling on the wheels to rule out tie rod ends and wheel bearing play. I have about 4 inches of slop in the steering wheel when parked.

When you say you have 4 inches of slop are you talking about the steering wheel moving and the tires/linkage not moving? I have about 2 inches of that and I was wondering if the big allen nut fixed that? I am about to make the tool.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
billyfeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steering wheel could turn 4'' before the wheels would move. All suspension and steering ball joints/tierod ends are good. I adjusted the "big nut" with a tool that I made using a nut JB Welded to a piece of flat stock. The nut was easy to move and the tool worked great. But it is hard to tell how much to adjust this aspect of the box. I tried a few different adjustments followed by test drives. I think that I finally got it back to where it was originally and left it there. Then I adjusted the slotted screw/lock nut on top of the box. It was easy to "feel" the adjustment, and after 2 test rides/adjustments got the steering feeling like new. The Bently procedure calls for adjusting the big allen nut first, but I would just try the top screw first and see how you do. I like to follow procedures as the factory would, but in this case I should have gone right to the slotted screw. My steering box was a new TRW box with 500 miles on it prior to the adjustment. Good luck!
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that is exactly the issue I have and this helps. Applause

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: