Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weather Stripping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Weather Stripping Reply with quote

OK did a quick search but didn't see what I needed. The weather stripping on my '88 is in very poor shape and when I was pressure washing it the other day there were more leaks than I could count. This leads me to believe I need to replace all the window and door stripping. My current stripping has the channel in it for the silvery molding which in my opinion looks bad on all cars after time. In looking at GoWesty it looks like they sell various kits but are currently sold out. So my questions are as follows:

1. Is it possible to buy a single kit with all window and door seals?

2. If my current stripping is with molding can I replace with stripping without molding?

3. Is this a job that I can accomplish without to much risk understanding that I am mechanically inclined but have never attempted something like this?

Very Happy
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe has the full kit:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_681_618/complete_body_seal_kit.html

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Van Cafe is also sold out. Also to add is it possible to buy the piece that the front windows roll down into? As my van spent most of its life in Florida the salt did some damage there.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carfeul to not remove the seals in the door jams if you have them in there these are NLA, i had a harder time with the actual door seals and scrapers for the door windows and wing window then the window body windows
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
carfeul to not remove the seals in the door jams if you have them in there these are NLA, i had a harder time with the actual door seals and scrapers for the door windows and wing window then the window body windows

Sorry what is "NLA"?
OwnYourReality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I went with Bus Depot when I did my 87. I have no complaints either, great quality, great folks to work with. So you know, I got EVERY seal except the wing vents, the PO had them done before & they were almost new shape. BD made sure I had all the right part numbers, pointed out better prices if they came in a 'kit', etc. Very good overall experience.
BTW, if you do a search here for "window seals" or "door seals" you'll get a lot of returns to look thru.

2. Yes, the seals without the slit for the moulding is actually less expensive & more available.

3. Read thru some of the other posts to see if it's something you want to tackle. I pulled all my own windows because I wanted to be the one to take care of any rust issues, not the body shop. (I'm not fond of filler) Then I just had the shop install them with the new seals when they were done with the paint.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all of the window seals can be replaced with non-chrome seals. You will need every single seal (with the exception of the inner scraper. That can be reused if necessary) to convert the front doors from chrome to non-chrome. Mariusstrom here on the board has done this front door conversion relatively recently and he is "mechanically inclined" but had never done anything like that before. Send him a PM for details on what was the most difficult for him.

For me, I stayed with the chrome moldings. I have replaced the chrome strips in the glass seals and I'm just waiting for VW-Classic parts to offer the front door glass seals, which should be late Spring to mid-Summer according to the emails that I have received.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
OwnYourReality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NLA = No Longer Available
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently priced out replacing all window, door and hatch seals and Bus Depot had the best price overall.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your're talking about the silver plastic "chrome inserted (like around the windshield), I pulled mine out all around my '84 Vanagon. Contrary to popular myth, the weatherstripping doesn't contract, warp, or whatever; and it doesn't leak! You can use the weatherstripping W/O the plastic junk at it'll work fine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timely thread for me.
I am doing a windows out paint job this spring/summer and this info is very helpful.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: