Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phosphoric acid at Home Depot in Canada?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovalhobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Phosphoric acid at Home Depot in Canada? Reply with quote

Hi.
I went to Home Depot (in Canada) and asked about phosphoric acid. They looked at me like I had two heads. They had no idea what I was talking about.

Would any of you happen to know the name brand of this product in Canada (and if it can be purchased at Home Depot in Canada). I do know about Rust Converter etc (which are available and I have used); however, these products tend to come in small containers, usually in spray cans, and are quote expensive. I'm looking for the larger containers.

Thanks so much for your help.
1960 beetle
1965 Canadian standard beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i asked i got the same response...Its called "Prep and Etch" Gallon container for about $15 in USA.
ovalhobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I wonder if they have that product in Canada. I'll check this weekend.
1960 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the exact same response Laughing Let me know what you find, I still need to pick some up.
ovalhobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went there today. I asked about Prep and Etch and Ospho. They had neither. Where else they might have this stuff in Canada?
1960 beetle
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalhobo wrote:
Well, I went there today. I asked about Prep and Etch and Ospho. They had neither. Where else they might have this stuff in Canada?

After a quick search on the Kleanstrip website, see if this helps.
http://www.wmbarr.com/kleanstrip/kleanstrip_wheretobuy.html
ovalhobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll ask for that product. I'll also check Wally Mart. I see that these products are available in USA nation wide, but I'm not so sure about Canada. I wonder if they'd ship this stuff over the boarder?
1960 beetle
TonysGarage
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with asking people that work at home depot is...most of them are IDIOTS!

ive asked for phosphoric acid before and they had no idea what it is---they'll stock it in the paint department..near acetone, laquer thinner, etc...just read the bottle...dont ever ask someone that works there
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try tractor supply warehouse if you have them in canada. they stock gallons of "milk stone remover" guess what the main ingredient is???? phosphoric acid. highest percentage i have seen. cheap too, around 10$ per gallon. couldn;t find ospho locally ...i had to mail order a case...
guy dagenais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ovalhobo

I live in Montreal and the product that you want is :

SURF-PRO Rust Buster and Primer (it's phosphoric acid).

I use it and it works well.

I've bought mine at Canadian Tire

This product is made in Ste-Julie, Québec (KOSMIC SURF PRO INC)

Guy

EV Carthago diesel
engineerscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another product that Home Depot carries (at least in the U.S.) is Ospho. In a 1 gallon concentrate bottle. It is phosphoric acid and surfactants and is used as a metal pre-treat prior to painting.

This is what you are looking for:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rls=ig&...EUQ8wIwAg#
ovalhobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for Ospho at Home Depot. They looked in their computer and came up with nothing. I'm guessing they don't sell this in their Canadian stores? I will search Crappy Tire for Surf-Pro next. Thanks everyone!
1960 beetle
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'd bump this for other stuck Canadians.

I picked up a bottle of stuff called Rust-mort at a local autobody supply in Calgary last weekend. Its 75% phosphoric acid and seems to do the trick...

Wasn't cheap, I paid $40ish for around 700ml. This shop tends to have pretty high prices normally though.
guy dagenais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayoye!

That's really expensive, I paid around 10$ for same amount at Canadian Tire for the other product (Rust Buster)
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see that last time I was at Can tire... The horrible music they're usually playing at the one near my house usually means I'm in a huge rush to get out haha. I have to go buy more MIG wire tonight, so I'll take a look.
chift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Phosphoric acid at Home Depot in Canada? Reply with quote

Bump.

Any new update? I found RustMort at a local automotive paint shop but it's pricey (30$) for a pint.

Does the RustCheck product have enough phosphoric acid in it?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-check-rust-converter-bottle-0477964p.html

RustBuster isn't available at Canadian tire/Rona/Homedepot
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Phosphoric acid at Home Depot in Canada? Reply with quote

chift wrote:
Bump.

Any new update? I found RustMort at a local automotive paint shop but it's pricey (30$) for a pint.

Does the RustCheck product have enough phosphoric acid in it?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-check-rust-converter-bottle-0477964p.html

Rust Check has less Phosphoric acid (listed as 15% to 30%....than Ospho which lists 45%.

But....Rust check also lists about 7% Tannic acid which is also the other chemical that does really well for converting. Some information notes that tannic acid converted rust...which is ferric tannate....may be a little more stable and rust resistant than those that use only phosphoric acid.

You should try some and let us know how it works.

Also....interestingly enough...I have noted that Jasco prep and primer is listed ...and appears to be so.,...about 2.5X stronger than Ospho.

In reality...its NOT a higher concentration.....its just more EFFICIENT.

Jasco lists 37.5% Phosphoric acid.
Ospho lists about 45% phosphoric acid.

However...the difference...is that Ospho is mainly water, a polymer solution somewhere in there and the phosphoric acid.

The Jasco and several other rust converters.....also have ethylene glycol monobutyl ether.....which is used as a wetting and flow agent to make the solution PENETRATE deeper into textures and microscopic fissures....and it has this in place of a lot of the water in Ospho.

Ray
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Phosphoric acid at Home Depot in Canada? Reply with quote

I've had really good results with Picklex 20, I always have to order it.

http://picklex20.com/

available in Ontario from
http://www.process-controls.com/tech-sales-co/picklex-20.html

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Phosphoric acid at Home Depot in Canada? Reply with quote

Thanks for losting that. I could not remember the name of that product.

Picklex 20 has very little phosphoric acid ...less than 10%.....but ai believe it uses Tannic acid and wetting agents....and is also d3signed to be a,very sloooow soak. I have heard good things about it....but its slow. Ray
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Phosphoric acid at Home Depot in Canada? Reply with quote

Here's another one: 30% phosphoric acid: "Krud Kutter The Must For Rust Spray Gel Formula" its $12.99 for a 946ml bottle at Canadian Tire. Its apparently made by Rustoleum. Haven't tried it, and the instructions don't really say what to do with the surface after treatment, and befor painting ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: