Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter Interior
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Zwitter Interior Reply with quote

Here is a can of worms to open. Looking for opinions on where to buy interior for my zwitter. I need all the cloth including headliner. Seats & springs are in great shape but probably bets to replace padding (horsehair).
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.himmelservice.de/english/home.html

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:

Wink

If I am reading it right they just sell th fabric as is and I would have to have someone here in the states create carpet seats covering using my old parts as templates? I was hoping to find someone that sells prefab sets.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
eurodub wrote:

Wink

If I am reading it right they just sell th fabric as is and I would have to have someone here in the states create carpet seats covering using my old parts as templates? I was hoping to find someone that sells prefab sets.

Lenny at West Coast Classics will sell you a complete "kit" Bill. And he gets his fabric from Himmelservice. Problem is the fabric is not quite correct. The cording is not the same as the originals, at least not on the '50-'51 fabric. And further, as I pointed out in the "Spy Cam" thread on my interior install, Himmelservice changed their product some time in the last 3 years or so, and it is about half the weight as the original.

Not sure how picky you want to be. Himmelservice may be the only game in town. I'm sure Lenny would be happy to discuss it with you and probably could send you a sample swatch of fabric if you want.

Now if you had a standard split, we all know there is now some perfect fabric for those cars that is dead on correct, thanks to Marcus!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I bought an interior kit from WCC for my zwitter. They made a few mistakes along the way,but after sending things back 3 times and some adjustment by my uphulsterer, it came out awesome. Of course this was done about 5 years ago when the herringbone fabric that is used in a zwitter was a near perfect match to the original. Appearently John found his to be off a little (different than zwitter) but but my fabric was excellent.
Do you have any of your original fabric? Lenny can send you a sample and you can compare it
As for padding. I don't think WW sell horse hair padding for zwitter and early ovals. I think their padding goes down to 56. I used my original padding because it was in great shape. Maybe yours can be amended.

Dave
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, sounds like I will have to call Lenny next week (after a 18 month sabbatical I will be joining the work force again so I can unclench my butt cheeks and let out a few quarters aka savings). I looked at WCC web page and the color looks a little different than mine which I assume is due to fabric degradation / fading, their dye lot being different and throw in photography color variables. I may be able to use the original horse hair as the only real wear is on the drivers seat upper left. I hate to see the old fabric go to waste so I may sell for use in a rat. Any rough ideas of the cost to install? I followed your work John, which came out great, would you suggest doing it yourself? Would you do it again?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that hole in the driver seat the only real damage?
So just find some original material, replace the damaged area and keep the original seats. No repro stuff can beat the original, even if it shows wear. The smell, the vintage material that proudly shows its age. There is nothing better.
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are crazy to replace that with new upholstery... Shocked

a vertical patch won`t be that hard to get. and blended in won`t even show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me it's one of the hardest decisions I have to make. I agree 100% but the door panels are heavily stained, the tops of the door panels have rotted out. The seats had, what I found out recently, optional green seat covers that unfortunately when I was young & dumb I discarded. The fabric is getting fragile in some places. This car was left outside in New England. The man I purchased it from lived in a trailer, the car was stored under a tree there was so much sap on the car I thought it was black. One thing Connecticut is notorious for is mildew & moss. Since I am doing a total restoration on the car the original material would look like old shoes on a new suit. So I figure if I remove it carefully maybe it will find it's way to another car and live on there. I am trying my best to replace as little as "aesthetically" possible to keep it original while still looking good. I heard Jay Leno say once "we really don't ever own these cars, we just keep them in shape for the next guy"
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take your door panels off you will see what the interior fabric originally looked like. Also is the headliner still in the car? You might be surprized at the color that it used to be.
I'll bet your interior was a grey/brown herringbone. Not tan. The headliner may have also been grey.
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
ZwitterND wrote:
eurodub wrote:

Wink

Lenny at West Coast Classics will sell you a complete "kit" Bill. And he gets his fabric from Himmelservice. Problem is the fabric is not quite correct. The cording is not the same as the originals, at least not on the '50-'51 fabric. And further, as I pointed out in the "Spy Cam" thread on my interior install, Himmelservice changed their product some time in the last 3 years or so, and it is about half the weight as the original.

Not sure how picky you want to be. Himmelservice may be the only game in town. I'm sure Lenny would be happy to discuss it with you and probably could send you a sample swatch of fabric if you want.

Now if you had a standard split, we all know there is now some perfect fabric for those cars that is dead on correct, thanks to Marcus!!

Hi John,
i can help in any way. Carpet headliner also OLD convertible material .... If you want quality, you know were you have to call Wink
Marcus

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

repair that section using a pice of an other seat....

and than change driver and co driver seats or the upper part.. so if you enter the car on both sides it wil not hit you directly...

i did the same on my 50 heb seats..sure they are not close in the condition of yours, but common they are over 50years old... so keep em ..

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^...I keep a crusty seat cover just for that reason..^^^^^

Idea

WWW.DBKVW.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blinker wrote:
^^^^^...I keep a crusty seat cover just for that reason..^^^^^

Idea

x2... Exclamation sthe most trow it away, but think always someone will need it urgent and quick to keep the patina... Laughing

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Haviland wrote:
If you take your door panels off you will see what the interior fabric originally looked like. Also is the headliner still in the car? You might be surprized at the color that it used to be.
I'll bet your interior was a grey/brown herringbone. Not tan. The headliner may have also been grey.

I think your right Dave, gray/brown but it's hard to find any part that isn't faded. I know the little sound proof "pillows that they stuff up above engine are darker and appear gray brown. The headliner shows no evidence of being gray. I didn't think they offered different color interiors. ...dang...another decision.
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would they use brown leather on the bottom for gray / brown?

bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine Bill, that bottom material is plastic like, similar to the piping. What's the top of the passenger side handle (and bottom of it) supposed to look like?
Brian
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours are in great shape compared to mine. Only thing your missing is the chrome strip that runs along the 3rd seam down. Yours have faded to look just like mine too.
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
Top of arm rest is upholstered just like the panel. The bottom is metal
Bill,
Remove the rear side panels and look at the back of them. There should be enough excess fabric to see the og color. Where the headliner is sewn to the B-pillar fabric is where its og color will be evident.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard rumours that Lenny Coop West Coast Classic Restauration dont deliver as they used to. A friend of mine ordered, the money got from his account twice, but no interior came. And no reply on mails or phones lately.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: