Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's April of 1955 Oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

So on my way home from work a week ago, I saw this oval parked out on the road with a for sale sign on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I thought it was a 56-57 but was super surprised when I got up to it and it was a ribbed door euro car. My Dad has been looking for a 3 Fold ribbed door car for a while, but a hardtop is a great start! and it drove home.

Dash is perfect, might even be the original Nile Beige paint still. added a 356 Blaupunkt radio and a camping quick release I made.

Front clip is about perfect to, apron is kinda banged up but the whole car is super straight.

Only real issues with it is the drivers heater channel is kinda rough and it needs rear bumper mounts and some wheelhouse/firewall rust repair. but the package tray and pans are all super solid.

Bonus that it is already 12v, non splitcase and came with a solid 1600DP motor. brakes are still all 2 bolt and actually all work. needed some wiring love because none of the lights worked. And more of a bonus, it has all the original seats! interior has what looks like a red TMI kit.

my dad wanted my BBT sprints, so ditched the AE 5 spokes. and added the correct big spring decklid. has a 64ish hood on it, but I have a solid 4 tab for it. Front fenders are rough but are original and actually still have the wire tubes.

pretty stoked on this car for him, also exited to see what we build it into, I'm pretty sure it has a 3 fold from grumpys in its future.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Today I got some repop egg taillights from Koch's, installed them on it. Luckily there was great info and pictures on here on correct mounting locations. The rear fenders aren't OG but they will work fine.

measured everything out, and welded up the old taillight holes.

pretty solid looking! ran all new wires for the rear lights as well.
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Nice driver. I like the rear view. The taillights came looking great and I like the red decklid.. does it have a later rear apron with the pea shooter cutouts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

That's a sweet project car, when you can actually drive it home and start improvements instantly. rolling restorations can be more fun than ground up builds that will take years before you can drive it again. Well done !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Nice find! Looks like you are going to have fun!

Is that an MG next to the Bug and another Bug on top. Lucky man! I meant about the lift! JK

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
Nice driver. I like the rear view. The taillights came looking great and I like the red decklid.. does it have a later rear apron with the pea shooter cutouts?

Thanks! I think it might get painted Strato silver. It actually is the original rear apron with the cut outs on it.

djfordmanjack wrote:
That's a sweet project car, when you can actually drive it home and start improvements instantly. rolling restorations can be more fun than ground up builds that will take years before you can drive it again. Well done !

Irs been a great car so far! Thanks!

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Nice find! Looks like you are going to have fun!

Is that an MG next to the Bug and another Bug on top. Lucky man! I meant about the lift! JK

Thanks! Yep that’s a 53 MG TD! And yep a few more vw’s around it lol, my dad has a VW shop here in Phoenix and I’m incredibly lucky to be able to use lifts!
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

added a really close to correct hood for it, its a early 56 hood, with no folded edge on the cowl. fits great. removed the peanut turn signals as well, holes will be welded up soon.

also added the correct 55 tank.

my dad had a super clean set of original pop outs for it so those got installed.

also got all the lights working, minus the semaphores. need to run a harness to the passenger side as it is missing.
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Got the hood, decklid and rear fenders/lights close to color matched.

I gotta weld up some more holes, but happy its close until it actually gets painted.

messed with more wiring today, completely rebuilt the rear harness for the motor and lights. 2 different headlight switches, 1 fuse block and 2 domelights were bad. ordering a new headlight switch from Wolfsburg, both OG switches had dead terminals. but all the lights do work now minus the semaphores.

Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's April of 1955 Oval Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:

I gotta weld up some more holes, but happy its close until it actually gets painted.

What do you mean with ''... untill it gets painted.'' ?!
Are you serious?!! It just got painted, and it looks awesome now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: