Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Uncommon transmission leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Uncommon transmission leak Reply with quote

I had a split case transmission rebuilt and was finally able to install it. After a few days I noticed an oil spot on the ground and thought it was the backing plate, but there wasn't any oil on the backing plate or drum. After a closer inspection I found the oil was coming from the pin that holds the end casting to the axle tube and oil was leaking from the back side of the end casting. No oil is leaking from the bottom of the locking pin, but I suspect the powder coating must be creating a seal to prevent that. Has any one come across this type of leak before? How do I get it to stop. All I can think of is knocking out the lock pin to see if there is a wear hole in the indent to index the lock pin. Maybe putting some sealant on the lock pin and reinstalling it will fix it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's hard to see, but oil keeps seeping from the back of the end casting.

Again, it's hard to see, but the top of the lock pin is wet with oil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Uncommon transmission leak Reply with quote

Haven't had that exact leak, but if the end of the axle tube pressed into the end casting is distorted, undersized, or grooved with scratches, oil could conceivably wick back up to the pin area. It should be possible to stop such a weeping leak with sealant, since the oil shouldn't be under significant pressure. (Transmission vent must be clear)
Ideally the axle tube ends should be masked off before powder coating, since removing powder coat from the junction area could introduce scratches. Before pressing axle tube into end casting, a very light application of sealant near the ends might be a good precaution. End castings can crack and leak too. Have yet to see a pin bore through to the inside of an axle tube, but never say never. Good luck!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncommon transmission leak Reply with quote

I would attack that leak from the other end, but it will be a bit oof disassembly.
Remove the brakes, backing plate and wheel bearing. You will be looking into the axle casting at the end of the tube that is pressed in. Jack the axle up so the gear oil isn't running out, and clean the seam between the tube and casting as clean as you can. Go around the corner with a pick, and get it surgically clean. Then, there is a loctite product, sleeve retainer that is thin, and works on assemblies that are already assembled. Get it into the groove, and hope it wicks into whatever void is causing the leak. Some heat usually helps it flow into small voids, but the powder coating is an issue.
The pin is really tight, I don't think I've ever had one that didn't need at least a 5lb hammer, and a solid surface backing the casting up. I'm doubtful you can get it out under the car.
Good luck!
wagen19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Uncommon transmission leak Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I would attack that leak from the other end, but it will be a bit oof disassembly.
Remove the brakes, backing plate and wheel bearing. You will be looking into the axle casting at the end of the tube that is pressed in. Jack the axle up so the gear oil isn't running out, and clean the seam between the tube and casting as clean as you can. Go around the corner with a pick, and get it surgically clean. Then, there is a loctite product, sleeve retainer that is thin, and works on assemblies that are already assembled. Get it into the groove, and hope it wicks into whatever void is causing the leak. Some heat usually helps it flow into small voids, but the powder coating is an issue.
The pin is really tight, I don't think I've ever had one that didn't need at least a 5lb hammer, and a solid surface backing the casting up. I'm doubtful you can get it out under the car.
Good luck!

Was the bearing-housing removed from the tube?
Eventually with brutal force before removing the pin?
Maybe it whenever was fixed in an unproper position. There is a mark on the tube which must be in line with the pin. Pressing the pin in, in the unproper position can force the end of the tube inside the housing out of round and cause a "oil-channel". Suggestion: replace the tube and housing in one piece with the same type of bearing-housing.

(By the way, oil-leaking at this place is more often a problem on cars or rear axles till 8´49, id 1 - 0 116 919, there was a bolt M 10 x 55 instead of the pin.)

Liquid gasket can be a provisorium, if you have luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: