Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sleep which way on lower bed?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Sleep which way on lower bed? Reply with quote

Still finalizing a plan to sleep 4 in our tintop and wondered if there's a reason to sleep with head toward front, or rear? Seems like to the front makes sense as you can more easily crawl forward to get out of bed without disturbing your spouse. On the other hand, if someone has to leave the van at night for a call of nature, having the slider and cold air right by the sleeper's face might be a disadvantage. Experienced sleeper input?

Have people noted that one end of the Z bed setup is higher than the other? Knowing the latter may allow me to add spacers to level it out when I am fabricating the mounts to replace my folding rear seats to the Z bed. Thanks!

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall are you? I am 6' 4" and have to sleep with my head at the back so my feet can hang off the bed (but I am used to that with a lot of beds).

Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (5'9") now sleep downstairs quite a bit, and sleep with my head towards the hatch. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lay w/ head your towards the front the pillows have a tendency to slide onto the deck. The upper bunk same thing unless I lay diagonally. I'm 6'3.

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
How tall are you? I am 6' 4" and have to sleep with my head at the back so my feet can hang off the bed (but I am used to that with a lot of beds).

Laughing

x2 6'1" here

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper-bunk is kind of useless to me, sleeping with my head pointing towards the back of the van is a little claustrophobic, smelly and wet when I touch the canvas. Gotta sleep with my head towards the front, but my pillow falls off and it's chilly.

The lower, I like sleeping with my head pointing towards the back; but it's harder to get in and under the covers with two people. In cold-weather camping, even though I have the propex, it's in the default install location and requires me to put my head towards the front to feel the heat.. but then my pillow always falls to the ground. grrr.

All in all, I like having my head at the back; but there's always a reason we end up reversed. Not perfect.
1979 Sears Freespirit Moped
1996 Chev S10 4x4 ZR2
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Wife's)

== How I Pay the Bills ==
Windows FTP Server at http://www.bpftpserver.com (PM for a FREE one)
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sleep with our heads at the back. I can't tell you how many times I've banged my friggin head though sitting up too quickly. Be careful of that.

Because there's only two of us and a dog, I've rigged it so I can take down the fold out leaf from the upper bunk and extend the lower bunk to make it a longer bed. Now the dog (95 lb lab) is happy sleeping at the foot of the bed rather than trying to squeeze inbetween us. Makes for a much nicer nights sleep.
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I've rigged it so I can take down the fold out leaf from the upper bunk and extend the lower bunk to make it a longer bed.

WHOA! Pic? I'd like to see that.

We don't have kids (yet) and I really hate sleeping on the top. It's made for little people. I love the idea of extending the bed.
1979 Sears Freespirit Moped
1996 Chev S10 4x4 ZR2
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Wife's)

== How I Pay the Bills ==
Windows FTP Server at http://www.bpftpserver.com (PM for a FREE one)
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: which Reply with quote

Gee I would not have thought that such a topic would command any replies but I guess it's a slow day for Samba...that said Laughing it would depend how level you park.Try sleeping with your head on a downward slope and it will become evident

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had not thought about the pillow drop thing. Seems like I read something here a year ago about a little fabric/netting wall to keep pillows from falling out of a Westy's top bunk. Would be a good idea to fit that on lower bunks to prevent middle of the night pillow drops..

I'm 5' 10" so should be fine, fit wise. Keep the thoughts coming. The comment about getting back into bed with heads to the rear being difficult makes sense - you have to pull the sheets/blankets back while you're kinda kneeling on them. A formula for waking your spouse.

As for parking level, I'd intentionally park with whatever end my head's at slightly up. A handy rock or small chunk of 2X4 would do it, I"m sure.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head rear: In cold weather, it can get a little cold if you're head's right up against the hatch. That said, the "confinement" feels a little more cozy, for better or worse. If you have a propex under the bench and you're sensitive to the noise, it's quieter in this position. If you read before bed, you can prop up against the hatch, before sinking down to sleep.

Head front: Pillow can slide off onto the floor if you're a rowdy sleeper. Head feels a little warmer to me when it's cold out and top is down. Can sit up with out bonking your head. Can use the stowed table as a night stand.

I change it up to add variety to my life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sleep alone, oops little 9 lber ShihTzu too, 5'7" and I like my head in centre of van. I'd not consider sleeping with head at back. You could rig a net that you put across at night to prevent pillows falling. hmmm I sleep with 2 pillows and neither fall out and I do get up during the night. Interesting topic. Smile Slept same way in Westy.

I have a zed bed, I dislike it but I put all new foam in that matches. I wear a head lite to read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boulderdrop wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:
I've rigged it so I can take down the fold out leaf from the upper bunk and extend the lower bunk to make it a longer bed.

We don't have kids (yet) and I really hate sleeping on the top. It's made for little people. I love the idea of extending the bed.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131000&highlight=bunk+upper+extension

82 Diesel Westy
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Team Van wrote:
boulderdrop wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131000&highlight=bunk+upper+extension

here is what I did too for the upper bed, bed extension and pillow at the same time so I don't have to worry about the pillow falling down

madspaniard wrote:

I finally finished my upper bed extension/pillow. A must if you are tall and don't fit in the upper bed. Materials: marine quality plywood, mattress foam, gray vinyl, contact cement, gray fabric, HD Velcro, staple gun, needle and thread. Pics below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

almost finished sewing Velcro

adding HD felt pads to board points of contact with van upper siderails

this is how the bed extension travels in the van

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Team Van wrote:
boulderdrop wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

I'm talking LOWER bed extension. I'll have to get some pics going soon.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the first time i've been asked how I sleep at night.

O well, the life of a sociopath I suppose...
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DougM.

When we sleep downstairs in the westy we'll sleep either way. It's cozy with the pillows against the back hatch and kinda heartwarming to see the van like a landscape in front of us. But we don't have the height issue, and sometimes it's easier on the back to sleep with the head towards the middle of the van. The way the seat foam works it sorta supports and cradles my old spine.

I dunno what will work best for you. Experiment Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head towards the hatch so I can see the stars out the rear window.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8 wrote:
Hey DougM.

sometimes it's easier on the back to sleep with the head towards the middle of the van. The way the seat foam works it sorta supports and cradles my old spine.

Try a foam mattress topper. 1-1/2" or 2". It works wonders!
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: net Reply with quote

That might have been me that mentioned the net. We have two girls sleeping upstairs with a variety of pillows, stuffed animals and special blankies. hehe.

I took the Gowesty net for the head banger cabinet and unsnapped the upper mattress and hooked the hooks on the pop top hinge. This eliminated the "Dada can you get me my tootoo?" (stuffed animal)

Also, since we sleep with heads in the back the net was a pain in the forehead! Literally.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: