Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beginner Paint Job - Questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonysGarage
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason you would have to sand the base is if you got any runs or sags in it otherwise--once you get good coverage the clear should go on--but if you wait more than 24 hours to apply clear--you really should scuff the base, re-apply the base and then clear.

As for clear coat suggestions: I'm sure we could all suggest 5 brands. What's ur wallet thinking on this one? I like HOk 310 (I think that's the number)
I've used refinish solutions to reproduce an OEM finish just this week and it laid down just like factory, and the price was right--$90 for the kit, and that's low VOC, so that's a fair deal around here.

I'm not sure what line of base you bought--but make sure to read the tech sheets! They will be invaluable.

As for sealer-you could. It'll add another $100 to your bill.
It will seal out anything below the base--also will hide some sand scratches.

So--I think I'm a bit confused. What steps are you taking on this project? You stripped off the old paint--using what?
Then you took it down to metal?
Then what?
I'm just confused at where you're skipping the bodywork. And why.
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a representative photo of the stages of paint on the bus when I bought it:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This will give you an idea of what I had to get off:

During the process, when I still had some hope of taking it down to the original paint:

I stripped everything to bare metal using chemical stripper, and sanding. I could have replaced a couple of panels and straightened out some dents, but did not because I can't spend too much time or money on this project, and I hate doing body filler work (I'm terrible at it).

After going bare metal, I sprayed two coats of DX1791 etch primer, then 3 coats of K-36 high build. I have now wet sanded the high build.

In the end, I'm just looking for a good driver that isn't an ugly silver bullet.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually, everyone has to draw the line somewhere! Some people are paralyzed by 'making it perfect', but at least your's will be done and you'll be enjoying it Smile
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that had quite a few paint jobs on it.........glad you are going to make it look so much better.
TonysGarage
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed---you're gonna make it look much better

but i dont think we answered your questions did we...

do you need sealer?
well---after spraying high build, what grits did you sand with?--
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I sanded to 400 grit.
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner Paint Job - Questions Reply with quote

Who knows where the progress pictures are now, but was going back through posts and figured I'd close the loop on this one. Still lots of bodywork to do on my bus, but paint job has held up fairly well over the last five years, 2.5 of which this was a daily driver. I ended up just painting the roof without any prep work because I was scared of what I'd find. These are taken over a few years and should give you an idea of the progression. And for those wondering, there were MULTIPLE layers of paint when I got this bus, including a final layer of rubberized mobile home roofing paint (which probably helped with preservation honestly).

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner Paint Job - Questions Reply with quote

That came out really good. A lot of us, myself at one point, are rather anal about body work and paint, to the point we dont drive our cars unless "perfect". Fortunately for me, I have gotten past that point and would gladly drive a "hoopty" and enjoy the shit out of it.

Keep driving it and making memories with your loved ones, that's what it's all about😃
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner Paint Job - Questions Reply with quote

Well done. Running driving and presentable beats losing your bank account to a garage queen any day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: