Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nor*Cal shop
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
envycustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Nor*Cal shop Reply with quote

Is there a shop out here anyone can recommend to build a "stought" 36er in Nor*Cal? Im looking to do the WW Okrasa dual carb kit also.. Who's good? Who's not! Help me out Vintage speed gurus Wink

www.EnvyCustoms.Tumblr.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kmichael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Dave Bonbright at Engine Masters in Sonoma 707 938 8122. Dave knows VW engines.
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about vintage.
but this guy knows his stuff but hard to get on the phone.
http://jansenenterprise.com/
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Quote:
I don't know about vintage.
but this guy knows his stuff but hard to get on the phone.
http://jansenenterprise.com/

If you go with Jansen, you should know two things.

He is tough, but not impossible, to contact by phone. I live a couple of miles away from his shop, so I just dropped by after work. I would be a little nervous sending him my business if I didn't have that option.

IMO, he seems to put projects he's un-familiar with on the back burner. I wanted him to weld in adjusters, ream the bushings, and install new bearings in my beam. It took four months of pretty much constant pestering to get my beam back, and he never did get around to the bushing/bearings.

Paul

Richard Feynman
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's not into 36 er's . he can do it no problem .but probably won't want to. he would probably send you to me. i'm not a shop. but i love 36 er's. i've built plenty.and got lot's of parts for them. he's a good dude. but yes he can lag sometimes. i built a 36 with the very first ww okrasa kit sold to the public. for( not safari izzy ) here on the samba. from san jose.

steve Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
envycustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies.. its always best to be informed before jumping into something.. Wink

www.EnvyCustoms.Tumblr.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmichael wrote:
Try Dave Bonbright at Engine Masters in Sonoma 707 938 8122. Dave knows VW engines.

I know this is an old thread but is Dave still around?
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Dave do some machine work on my 36hp a year plus ago, he is a very busy guy, not sure how up to doing a build he is unless it's a really interesting build. He was more than happy to do the machine work though, and in a timely manner.

Now Jansen may be a decent guy, but living over an hour plus from him and leaving anything there is ridiculous. I dropped off an engine (not 36hp) to him, and even with stopping by there numerous times(with cash in hand, he always refused) (because forget the phone, it ain't happening), it took near two years before I finally got my engine back. After that my 36hp went to Dave due to a recommendation from a good friend, and I'd recommend him for at least machine work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: