Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sears allstate two wheeler.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:

It looks really good. Too many times folks go way too far with stripes. Your guy kept it simple and captured the lines of the trailer well.

I wanted to color the X patern completly with Palm green which would be about 1/2". I even tried to tape it so I could spray it out. I had trouble taping it so I was going to have him try fill it in completly by hand. He talked me out of it and threw down the thin strip on the X before I could even argue. I said Damn that looks perfect. His response was less is more when it comes to pinstripes.

The bottom line is it is a utility trailer that would probably never had any sort of detail like that. I just felt because it's PG/SG it was the right thing to do.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn, you should fill that thing up with ice and beers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that would be a party! I'll load it up wit some firewood for tonight.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I love trailers, your my hero on this one. Nice work.
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: SEARS AllState Trailer Reply with quote

Just Found !... SEARS AllState Clam Shell Trailer.
This thing has been in storage for over 25 years, super clean. Original Color was Grey and had a Black Racing Stripe down the middle of Top.
Original SEARS Stickers on sides. Was painted blue on bottom about 10 years ago.
Needs electrical to be rewired, longer Chains and Coupler.
Don't know if I just fix it up with new bearings and grease or if I want to repaint / restore.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badass. It appears to have the ultra rare triple taillight option! What is the extra bracket for on the drivers side? How about a close up picture of the sears logo on the lid?

Mine gets used regularly it's got thousands of miles on it now. Grease it up and use it!

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
Badass. It appears to have the ultra rare triple taillight option! What is the extra bracket for on the drivers side? How about a close up picture of the sears logo on the lid?

Mine gets used regularly it's got thousands of miles on it now. Grease it up and use it!

The Taillights are KraZy But the bracket is for the spare tire.
Here's a photo of SEARS Logo.

Here's a photo of my old SEARS AllState Trailer, Rusty but Trusty.
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, mine has spindle mount rims. Therefore no spare tire mount.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
pacrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glen,

I found this reading your SC thread! How does your bus do pulling the trailer with weight! Is your kombi a stock motor and gearing? I love how the trailer turned out. Great work!

Now the search it on!

~Tony
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacrat wrote:
Hi Glen,

I found this reading your SC thread! How does your bus do pulling the trailer with weight! Is your kombi a stock motor and gearing? I love how the trailer turned out. Great work!

Now the search it on!

~Tony

There is a video somewhere of it being towed by my bus on YouTube. It tows with no problem. I have had it with about 200 lbs in it. I can't imaging it would be any different than driving a bus with 3 or 4 passengers inside.
I have towed that trailer in my Jetta with about 600 lbs in it. I'm sure the bus could handle that with ease.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
pacrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:
pacrat wrote:
Hi Glen,

Now the search it on!

~Tony

There is a video somewhere of it being towed by my bus on YouTube. It tows with no problem. I have had it with about 200 lbs in it. I can't imaging it would be any different than driving a bus with 3 or 4 passengers inside.
I have towed that trailer in my Jetta with about 600 lbs in it. I'm sure the bus could handle that with ease.

I saw the videos! It really looks good! I was wondering what motor and gearing you run in your Kombi? I have a tired motor and thinking about what to build? My bus would have the family of four, a canoe and kayaks on top, a 55 pound dog, plus the trailer for more stuff! I suppose I should re-think "more stuff," but I think those trailers are soooo cool!

I currently have some trouble when we are all loaded down for camping. Shifting down frequently with little low end torque. My transaxle was rebuilt, but it was so long ago I do not recall what ring and pinion was used. It just seems to bog down!

Your advice is welcome and appreciated!
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like much in those videos but those two bridges we crossed are pretty steep hills. We pulled up them with ease. My bus at the time had the original 1500 singleport. Unknown mileage. OG 6 volt tranny unknown gearing. I'm fairly certain there are threads on the topic of towing and combos that work for that.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
pacrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great to hear it pulls well w/ your stock 1500sp!

Thanks for your input! I have read extensively in several threads about towing. I appreciate your input with your particular set up! It seems the single ports do well!

Cheers,

~Tony
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn A wrote:

Hey Glenn,

In earlier photos you show three rims and the spare sitting on the tongue. Did your trailer come with three rims? Did you build a mount for the spare on the tongue?

Thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
Glenn A wrote:

Hey Glenn,

In earlier photos you show three rims and the spare sitting on the tongue. Did your trailer come with three rims? Did you build a mount for the spare on the tongue?

Thanks,

I bought a spare spindle mount wheel and tire combo. I also bought a spare stub axle. I had plans on using the stub axle to make a spare tire mount. That never happend as I couldnt find a spot that was practical and looked good. I just carry the spare tire, stub axle and bearings in the trailer.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished restoring my 1970 Sears Allstate Trailer. Decided to go White with the Black racing stripe. Found a Sears Luggage Rack set-up at a Garage Sale and knew it was meant to be mounted on the trailer. Took it out for it's first test run loaded and it pulls like a dream. More to come ...

splitnrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post here as well as the other two wheeled trailer thread.
Has anyone found documentation on these trailers detailing which year the model and possibly the serial number were released? I've recently bought one which I pick up mid-month which has been off the road for a very long time and at the moment all I have is a model and serial number of 28761501. Serial # 4916. Any info is appreciated.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Thought I'd post here as well as the other two wheeled trailer thread.
Has anyone found documentation on these trailers detailing which year the model and possibly the serial number were released? I've recently bought one which I pick up mid-month which has been off the road for a very long time and at the moment all I have is a model and serial number of 28761501. Serial # 4916. Any info is appreciated.

I can't speek for all the trailers but mine is dated on the the factory vin tag. Mine is a 71 model year.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: