Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suesanctuary wrote:
Checked out a thread on the T3 forum today, with several old posts from Russ. Good to have this site, which keeps the knowledge/ memory of those who have given it so freely to others, alive.

Gave me an excuse to "bump" this. 3-18-15, will be four years, since he left us. Crying or Very sad

It's really nice to get the reminder from the occasional bump. Bump as often as you like, there are many, all over the world who have fond memories of Russ. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's hard to believe it's been 4 years now. Shocked It seems like it was almost yesterday. I still miss him when I get stuck on something, as he forgot more than I ever knew about VWs. Was a great guy to hang out with, drink a beer, and BS about VWs
John, you'll get to see my old T-34 (that I got from Russ) in your area, and at some of the shows there in the UK, as that's where it went. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

KTPhil noticed that http://classicvw.org no longer works, which lost a lot of links / photos / articles that were posted here in the past.

It looks like it got taken over by one of those random companies that poach domains when they expire too.

I think his website was being hosted and run by Russ' son in San Diego, CA?

Does anyone have any contact information to see if we can either get it back up or maybe get the information moved elsewhere?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

You can manually look for some pics using the "swayback machine" (aka, https://archive.org/web/)

Just enter the url http://classicvw.org

it looks like some of it was still up as of March of this year.

But it would be better to have it stored on a DVD (or archived on the Samba, though I don't know how large the total content is.

If there is anyone who has the gallery archived, please contact Everett or myself, and let's see what we can do.

The note from main page from the swayback machine archive states:

My son Mark is career Navy, and currently stationed in San Diego, CA, as a systems administrator. This page is being served from his server in his garage, on a DSL line. http://www.wolfenet.org

However, it looks like that wolfenet.org server is down.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
My son Mark is career Navy, and currently stationed in San Diego, CA, as a systems administrator. This page is being served from his server in his garage, on a DSL line. http://www.wolfenet.org

However, it looks like that wolfenet.org server is down.

It's live, its just displaying nothing of use on the home page.
He appears to have done that on purpose, it's possible he has it set up to only show real content when you have an exact link to something.
wolfenet.org homepage wrote:
move along, nothing to see here....

Anyway, if anyone knows Mark's contact info, please ask him
I made an educated guess that it's mark at wolfenet.org so I tried that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Anyway, if anyone knows Mark's contact info, please ask him
I made an educated guess that it's mark at wolfenet.org so I tried that.

"The Sage"a good friend of the family...he started this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

Looks like the domain expired. All the stuff is still there. I can move it under wolfenet. Will look at it tonight.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

markw wrote:
Looks like the domain expired. All the stuff is still there. I can move it under wolfenet. Will look at it tonight.

Great, I can do a bulk database update to change every link from classicvw.org to wolfenet.org if everything else in the URL is the same.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
markw wrote:

Great, I can do a bulk database update to change every link from classicvw.org to wolfenet.org if everything else in the URL is the same.

Someone asked about this recently, any update on making the content available again?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

I am reviving this thread as a call to fellow Samba members and anyone who knows Russ's family. I'd like to gather many of the files he hosted, and I may be able to rehost it for us. So please reply (or PM or email) if you have either of the following:
1) contact info for his family, in case the server is available to down load from.
2) any large stash of files you downloaded previously from classicvw.org
There is a large body of documents and knowledge, and this would also be a way to keep Russ in our minds and hearts despite his passing. I think we all owe a debt, especially the Type 3 folks like me, whether we met him or not.
Please check your emails, posts, hard disks, etc, and post or contact me.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed May 31, 2017 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

I emailed markw above as well.
markw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

Just emailed Everett, this has been on my back burner. Time to figure out what he had posted, I've got all the files.

Mark
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

i just found a 3.35GB folder with a lot of factory manuals and parts catalogs that Russ had scanned for me. pretty sure this was the stuff that was on his website.
who and how can I get it to someone?

here's what I've got (yes, the folders all have lots of content):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

I asked markw what he has and if he can send me a USB drive with it and I can add it directly to the site here.

Now that you mention it hazetguy, I have a similar folder Russ sent me but you appear to have a couple more subdirectories.

If Mark can't provide a complete list, I would like to get what I am missing and see if I can add it here for reference at least.

I told mark that when I did a site search, it looked like most of the pics here I found right away are linked to files under classicvw.org/gallery/... or classicvw.org/gallery2/...
Gallery is a publicly available gallery program that Russ used to host photos.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I asked markw what he has and if he can send me a USB drive with it and I can add it directly to the site here.

Now that you mention it hazetguy, I have a similar folder Russ sent me but you appear to have a couple more subdirectories.

If Mark can't provide a complete list, I would like to get what I am missing and see if I can add it here for reference at least.

I told mark that when I did a site search, it looked like most of the pics here I found right away are linked to files under classicvw.org/gallery/... or classicvw.org/gallery2/...
Gallery is a publicly available gallery program that Russ used to host photos.
Any update on this by chance? I know there was a ton of stuff there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

Yes, I got sidetracked but this holiday weekend I will finish up. I have a thumb +drive of files from hazetguy, and will add a few I have as well, then send it to Everett.

What I am not finding is the set of photos in his gallery, so we'll still have a bunch of broken links. I've tried the "way back machine" but it only has the index pages, not the documents themselves.
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Russ Wolfe (1943 - 2011) Reply with quote

what a nice legacy... thanks for carrying the torch for Russ Smile

He is leaning over the steering wheel on a bus giving the peace sign .... or the other sign if he disagrees with the random, flawed, unavoidable but easily correctable technical advice.

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Jump to:
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: