Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove Cali Style quarter panel windows?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: How to remove Cali Style quarter panel windows? Reply with quote

How do I remove California bug style quarter panel windows without breaking them? I've been trying to find something on this but all I can find is how to remove stock windows with the chrome trim or install Cali style windows.

Any advice is good, thank you.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Cali Style quarter panel windows? Reply with quote

Do you mean the rear quarter windows with no chrome strip in the rubber? If so, just get a sharp razor knife and cut the outside of the rubber. Be careful not to cut away so that you scratch the body and paint. Have someone on the outside of the car when you press at one side of the window. As the window comes out, press toward the cent, then the other side of the window.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AMD_Alien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove Cali Style quarter panel windows? Reply with quote

OrangeMango wrote:
How do I remove California bug style quarter panel windows without breaking them? I've been trying to find something on this but all I can find is how to remove stock windows with the chrome trim or install Cali style windows.

Any advice is good, thank you.

Remove the chrome trim then get a helper/ soft and cushioned item to put outside the window then roll the gasket out from the inside while pushing on the window do that if you want to save the seal if not just do what Tim says above
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Cali Style quarter panel windows? Reply with quote

It's MUCH easier to cut the inside rubber lip- not the exterior. And no risk to paint or headliner. Split it, pull it away and the window easily pushes outward.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Cali Style quarter panel windows? Reply with quote

No need to cut anything, pry up a section of the seal from the inside with a DULL butter knife, get it started and shove from the inside and have a helper outside to catch the glass if necessary.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove Cali Style quarter panel windows? Reply with quote

Use your foot from the inside .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: