Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harder starting shortly after turning engine off
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Harder starting shortly after turning engine off Reply with quote

Maybe someone else had this issue and it's an easy fix. Sometimes (more often than not) when I stop briefly like to get gas or a quick run into the store,
I have a little trouble starting the engine again. 1776 with dual webers...
at first I thought it was acting like it was flooded so if you waited a bit she'd fire right up...however I'm starting to think elsewise as I have found if I crank it a bit...more than normal she'll start...doesn't seem like fuel is leaking bak thru the fuel pump...filter seems always to have the same amount of fuel.
Could this be a vapor lock issue? Doesn't seem like any of the hoses are in a position to cause this. Any ideas? Once the engine sits a while she always fires right up.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to start it when warm WITHOUT giving it any gas pedal ?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: harder starting after engine just turned off Reply with quote

Well I start it just like always. If I give it no gas it does the same as if I pump it. Have tried both methods...same result.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When starting a hot motor hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor - do not pump the pedal - crank the motor until it starts. Should take about 5 seconds to clear the motor of unburnt gas. You will see these instructions in most ACVW owner's manual.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
When starting a hot motor hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor - do not pump the pedal - crank the motor until it starts. Should take about 5 seconds to clear the motor of unburnt gas. You will see these instructions in most ACVW owner's manual.

X2! When my bugs are hot and I stop for an errand, I get in the car, push the pedal to the floor and turn it over till it catches. Works everytime.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: hard starting after engine shut off Reply with quote

That's all well and good but holding the pedal to the floor doesn't make any difference. That's nice a manual says that but...
Back to the vapor lock possibility...sure seems strange it'll start right up after
it cools down a bit...engine doesn't seem like she's running hot, all metal intact...
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model distributor do you have installed and where do you have idle timing set at?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed new windshield wiper blades lately?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Have you installed new windshield wiper blades lately?

That made me laugh out loud!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
labraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: engine hard to start after running Reply with quote

Wow...thanks for the help. Maybe I should install new wiper blades and check my air pressure. BYE
tongjin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Harder starting shortly after turning engine off Reply with quote

labraynard wrote:
Maybe someone else had this issue and it's an easy fix. Sometimes (more often than not) when I stop briefly like to get gas or a quick run into the store,
I have a little trouble starting the engine again. 1776 with dual webers...
at first I thought it was acting like it was flooded so if you waited a bit she'd fire right up...however I'm starting to think elsewise as I have found if I crank it a bit...more than normal she'll start...doesn't seem like fuel is leaking bak thru the fuel pump...filter seems always to have the same amount of fuel.
Could this be a vapor lock issue? Doesn't seem like any of the hoses are in a position to cause this. Any ideas? Once the engine sits a while she always fires right up.

labraynard,
Check your fuel pump. A worn fuel pump, especially hot diaphragm doesn't work efficiently. It's not too expensive to replace.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: engine hard to start after running Reply with quote

labraynard wrote:
Wow...thanks for the help. Maybe I should install new wiper blades and check my air pressure. BYE

Now you're just being silly.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Harder starting shortly after turning engine off Reply with quote

labraynard wrote:

Could this be a vapor lock issue?

Since those big carbs are close to the heads they do "heat soak" to a degree. When you re-start hot it will be a bit flooded with vapor initially, but should start within well less than 5 seconds.

Some things can make it worse than it should be such as using metal or no gaskets from head to manifold, or using short manifolds. IMo use paper gaskets at heads and/or 1/4 thick penolic insulators between carb and manifolds.

"Vapor lock"? well sometimes the heat is enough to vaporize some of the fuel in the lines and it will push into the floatbowl and overfill it a bit, this will happen with stock fuel pump but not carter/cb rotary. Some fuel pumps do not allow fuel to go back toward tank but that carter does, and of course not being on the engine (electric pump), it doesen't do it as much anyway.

In case you didn't know the way to re-start one of these hot (or any engine with IR carbs)....... it is hold the throttle open about 1/4 or a bit more while cranking.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I hate the idea of the dual carb setup. I would def consider a dual bbl if your having issues with them. On the other hand if you can deal with the starting issues my hat is off to you. I do lean towards the bone stock side of things though so idk. when I worked on 2 stroke engines I used a lot of high performance parts I found a lot of carb issues when not matching good parts with other good parts. The dual bbl will eliminate the flooding given it travels down a long vw intake and adaptor. sounds about right. I just enjoy kinda putting around more and better milliage and in my experience with engines in general they are usually really picky when you do performance mods. they dont like it unless you got it right on the money. but thats why pros spen years tuning and researching formulas. I'll be honest I found out that listening to good manufatures and there reccomendations usually works so if they want you to match a part with another its probably right. compression timing ect all play an important factor. if you hate the issue keep it in mind
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some drawbacks to duals but starting should not be one of them.

Sorry I didn't read other posts first.......... plenty of advice about how to start.

Weak ignition system could be a factor, maybe...... sorry I don't really remember............ It's been near ten years since I had any solex carburetor, engine driven fuel pump, or points ignition on my VWs. Never looked back, didn't want too!!! but a lot of classic cars that haven't been modernized have this heat soaking problem too not just VWs. Gasoline today isn't the same as it was 20 years ago, not to say it isn't any good rather it just isn't as carburetor friendly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: