Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to "rekey" VW door handles. A picture tutorial
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 61SNRF,

I was confused since I received many parts when buying my 61 and am still figuring out the puzzles of what goes where. I've no clue why the paddle handle came with the car... Perhaps the previous owner was confused as well... Not having knowing this, I actually re-keyed this lock as well LOL

Eitan
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This oddity has come up before. Try to do some searching.
It was previously suggested that USA delivered cars got locks that used the paddle type handles, and ROW cars got the slider type locking mechanism. Since your car uses the slider mechanism, and it's not a USA spec car, it tends to confirm this theory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:

can you tell me where to call or write to get keys like this? do they stamp them with the key code? are the keys chromed metal or chromed brass? thanks- Bret

Hello, if you're lookin for keys cut by factory code, I can do that.

I have all key codes and key blanks for early Beetle through Vanagons.

If you don't want to rekey your lock by usin the file method, I have a stock of wafers that I use to guarantee the proper wafers are used rather than not using one or filing them down.

If you guys need any help with any lock or key info, I'll do my best to help! Smile

Thanks! Justin
Key all your Locks to one Key.
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/333391253346965/

70 Campmobile, 70 Sedan, 71 SO-69 Westy, & 74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cramar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank Ovalteen for his article. I am just now getting back into V.W.'s after a 40 some year hiatus and have recently purchased two vehicles. One was in a 9 condition and the other is turning into a project of little things. The seller of the the project car failed to mention that the door locks did not work with the key he supplied and so my wife and I were locked out of the vehicle until I popped the wing window lock just as any thief would do. I have used a "club" for security but after reading the article, I was able to get both door locks (two different years on the handles) to work with the ignition key so now I can lock the vehicle and feel a little bit secure with the empi wing window locks as well. At least now for the short term I can lock the vehicle and can also check the various resources that are on this site for new barrels and having them keyed the right way. Thanks again, and I'm not to worried that someone might have a key that fits my lock, if they do they are welcome to the bug.
mrmarcdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did this on my 65 door locks. I purchased the car with no door keys so I had to make something happen. Luckly Bugformance in Sacramento had some blanks, and one happened to match my application. I just pulled it down to the barrel, stuck the key blank in, and slightly squeezed each tumbler with a pair of pliers. I squeezed only hard enough to make a slight impression on the blank to give me a reference point. Then used a dremel, and file to grind the key. I used the dremel little by little to level out the tumblers, and finished them with a small file. It took about 15 minutes.
DrWingTipShoes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

branston wrote:
I email VW in Germany with the key code and they happily cut me keys from code on the year correct VW blanks from '49 up less than $25 shipped in two days.............. Unless $25 is too much

My local locksmith can make a VW key from the code - No big deal... but he doesn't always have the blank. Airhead/KGPR can also do it and they have OEM blanks.

A lot cheaper than $25....
'67 343 Ghia Coupe
'69 143 Ghia Coupe L62K
'69 143 Ghia Coupe L51K
'72 141 Ghia Convertible - TOTALED 09 Sep '13
-ALWAYS Looking for NICE 1969 Type 14 Ghias and a "345"!!
RIP '60 143 Ghia Coupe
RIP '66 143 Ghia Coupe
RIP '68 113 Sedan
RIP '71 143 Ghia Coupe
RIP '74 143 Ghia Coupe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrWingTipShoes wrote:
branston wrote:
I email VW in Germany with the key code and they happily cut me keys from code on the year correct VW blanks from '49 up less than $25 shipped in two days.............. Unless $25 is too much

My local locksmith can make a VW key from the code - No big deal... but he doesn't always have the blank. Airhead/KGPR can also do it and they have OEM blanks.

A lot cheaper than $25....

It all depends on what you want, nothing like original VW of course and sure $25 is a lot for a single key, buy two or three and It gets better, it's their blanket shipping method that pushes up the price, Again if you want perfection this is the way to go.
if not I use this guy too and can highly recommend him - based in Altoona, PA he provides an outstanding service
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1169945
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate your post,nicely done.
phatdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy I have heard does good work. I found him on thesamba years ago.

http://gabvwkey.com/

-Mike
-2010 Jetta TDI. White and sips fuel.

The older I get the beter I was!!

http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phatdawg wrote:

-Mike

That Gabriel, the guy I mention in my writeup on the first page.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
phatdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:
phatdawg wrote:

-Mike

That Gabriel, the guy I mention in my writeup on the first page.

Yep, sorry guess I brought it full circle again.
-2010 Jetta TDI. White and sips fuel.

The older I get the beter I was!!

http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschoppers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try this asap.
I first will order a new ignition switch with keys as I only have one and it seems finding a blank to have cut is near to impossible

Here is the thread with a picture of the key http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6377169#6377169

I dont want to take it apart of-course until the new key arrives but I did have a question. Do the tumblers that were ground down slip out the sides for changing them around or do you have to take that section apart also?

This is a question that probably would answer itself when I take it apart but I was curious.

Thanks
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dschoppers wrote:
I am going to try this asap.
I first will order a new ignition switch with keys as I only have one and it seems finding a blank to have cut is near to impossible

Here is the thread with a picture of the key http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6377169#6377169

I dont want to take it apart of-course until the new key arrives but I did have a question. Do the tumblers that were ground down slip out the sides for changing them around or do you have to take that section apart also?

This is a question that probably would answer itself when I take it apart but I was curious Thanks.

They slide out, when you take the tumblers out do it slowly and over a white towel. Behind the tumblers are microscopic springs and you dont want to lose them !

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great original post, and great detail. It is always interesting to see how the posts evolve. The thread has ultimately given us all several ways to go about matching our mismatched keys. And the original tutorial leaves no doubt as to the handles' assembly/disassembly. A sincere thanks for the time and effort!
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that! This worked out great on a project I picked up with out keys to the doors. Now a key I had sitting around has a use for the door handles and the old key if its floating around somewhere with not work on the door.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FSFTS18Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the OP "KEITH".... THANK YOU!!!.. i crept over from the 68 and above. your step by step gave me the info to finally be able to lock and unlock my passanger door with the key for my driver side. i was able to fix my tumbler during work today with everyones techniques. moving waffers here and there and touching up with a file to get it to work. something that small makes it that much better. Razz
vdubfan68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: THE !! WRONG WAY TO REKEY A LOCK !! Reply with quote

Keith deserves the VW LOCKSMITH IGNORANT AWARD !! When you grind down the wafers to fit the key . Now just about every key in that particular keyway will work the lock . WHAT,S THE POINT. YOU MIGHT AS WELL LOCK YOUR CAR WITH A PIECE OF GUM!!! Its funny how clowns will post a bunch of fancy pictures and THE MINDLESS SHEEP COME TO FLOCK !! No wonder this country is in the shape its in . I am a licensed locksmith . And have rekeyed numerous locks for SAMBA Members as well as other customers . If I performed this type of HACK WORK!! I would be out of BUSINESS. Period !! This post should be deleted . It Perpetuates IGNORANCE !! AS WELL AS MISINFORMATION . Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can see other people have stated that from the very beginning of this thread, including the guy who posted the tutorial.

The rest of it is good information.

If you want to do a better tutorial on how to do things right, please do so.

vdubfan68 wrote:
This post should be deleted

I considered that but I decided to respond to you instead. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door locks, like any locks, are for honest people.An altered lock will work just as well as a precise, fitted key lock when preventing theft. If a pro hits you your car or the valuables inside the car are gone no matter what condition your lock is in..
vdubfan68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Everett Barnes Responce Reply with quote

I stand corrected Everett . I perpetuated my own negativity to this post rather than pointing out the positive points it has to offer . Being Unemployed since the end of last year . And dealing with a Legal battle with my former employer , Has left me very bitter . Still that's no excuse to lash out at others . For that I apologize to Keith and his post . Once I get back on my feet . I will produce a better tutorial on locks as well as some other repair procedures I have learned over the past Thirty Years . d'oh!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: