Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saddlesore offroad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:
Had a couple of folks ask about interior color so I took some over head shots.
I am running a satin Black with Bed Armor on the pan. I love it. Never lost anything in the darkness and it holds up well. My only complaints are it use to hold water like a bath tub until I drilled drain holes and when it gets muddy or dusty(offroading) it take a deck brush and soap to get out of the nooks and cranies.
On another note. The rear fenders (2" wider and 2" Taller) are in the mold shop. They are better than anything else you have ever seen.
1. they bolt in stock locations. No need to drill into the side of the body to mount.
2. They are ready to paint. Not like others where the original mold has voids in it and leave blemished in the glass. I will update when I get them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those rear fenders sound familiar....kinda like something on my Thing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to dig far back in the cave to find these pics....this is pre-paint job, circa 2004

before...stock steel

after....fiberglass
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW....that green will look bad @$$. Excellent job on the build Saddlesore Very Happy
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely post up when those rear fenders become available. I have some wide ones I planned to chop up, but I like that look better.

On a side note- do you think your fiberglass guy would do a full front clip? I have one to make molds from. I've gotten leads on a few other possible fiberglass shops, I'll be stateside in a couple of months and plan on visiting a few.

Thanks!
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled last post down. I forgot to pull my license plate number off. Just in case
Sorry for the premature post but excited about progress. Should be done today or over the weekend.
1. New exhaust. I took Kymcos Thing exhaust. Higher and tighter and made it higher to fill the gape from body lift. It also gave more room for the skid plate.
2. Installed new muffler. Removed the spark arrestor and installed muffler. Mammas happier
3. Custom tube bumper with skid Plate.
4. Tubular side bars to help Mamma and kiddies get into. With it sitting almost 3 1/2 feet off the ground they have trouble swinging their leg in and out.
5. New prototye rear fenders (not show). 2" wider and 2" taller mounting (no Cutting or drilling) in stock location. matching the fronts. All I can say is they are awesome.
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingOw181 wrote:
Definitely post up when those rear fenders become available. I have some wide ones I planned to chop up, but I like that look better.

On a side note- do you think your fiberglass guy would do a full front clip? I have one to make molds from. I've gotten leads on a few other possible fiberglass shops, I'll be stateside in a couple of months and plan on visiting a few.

Thanks!

My car was in the glass shop for almost a full year to make a complete mold to mount on a tube chassis. My car is straight and ready to paint. Problem is these cars are so crooked that after Glass was done it looked like S&#t. He said it would have taken hundreds of hours to fill and fix then remold to make right. Then cost prohibitive.
euromog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the supply of affordable restorable bodies dries up someone will start making glass bodies. They will be at least $5k to $6k though. Not a bad price for an already painted gelcoat bolt on body. Then all you need is a pan with some Ghia pans and you are ready to go.

saddlesore1 wrote:
ThingOw181 wrote:

Thanks!

My car was in the glass shop for almost a full year to make a complete mold to mount on a tube chassis. My car is straight and ready to paint. Problem is these cars are so crooked that after Glass was done it looked like S&#t. He said it would have taken hundreds of hours to fill and fix then remold to make right. Then cost prohibitive.
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New muffler painted and ready for bumper
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Bumper

New Fender Wider/Taller Front View

New Fender Wider/Taller rear View

New Side Bars
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:

So he did end up making some molds?

I was looking at buying a new drivers side front panel and the front... apron I guess it is... from the Thing Shop and then making molds off of new OEM metal. The only hitch is the passenger side is no longer available.

I wonder if working with pieces rather than a whole unit would work easier.

Car is looking awesome!
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant remember if he completed the entire front end or pieces. Molds where made. I don't know to what degree. I do know it got expensive. Pieces would be better, but adding the sum of the parts to have a straight car is another issue
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddle, that is looking great. How does the muffler sound? Get a full car shot up here. Nice nice nice!!!
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good man!!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on....looks like it's coming together sweet!
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here ya go Locky. Sounds so much better. Can talk to passenger without yelling. I kept the Basanni style muffler for quick change out at the dessert.
Im going to lower the front about an 1" or 2" for better weight distribution.
Thank everyone for the nice comments. If your looking for new rear fenders check them out in the for sale. They are very sweet.
At the end of winter (desert time) I will pull it all down and paint body.

Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Fenders Reply with quote

Awesome look . I am trying to do the same thing with a suspension lift and fiberglass fenders. Two questions: how did you mount the headlight buckets and what kind are they? and, third question, how much are the rear fenders? I bought some rears at So Cal but they don't fit and have to be mounted on the exterior of the body. I don't want to drill holes in the side of the car and they are so warped even beading won't match them to the body.
thanks.
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front fenders are precut for the empi headlights. They are the shallow plastic bucket and bolt to the fender from the inside.
Look in the classified for the front and rear fenders. 2" taller and 2" wider. They bolt to stock location and contoured to the body no beading required. I have see the other fenders out there and they are junk. Full of pits, flimsy and crooked as heck.
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I had a friend with a new buggy join us on a ride up to the top of Saddleback Mountain via maple Springs road last weekend. The ride up took approx. 45min. The top is 5700 ft. What a view. The Thing drove great.
Here is part of the video. I wish I knew how you guy embed them into you posts. I hope to have the other 2 videos posted soon. This whole editing thing is new to me.

Link

Link

Link

Link

That is all 4 videos enjoy

Last edited by saddlesore1 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Hellnbak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car, and nice videos. Looks like you guys were having fun. Unfortunately I have a real problem with heights, and that drop-off a few inches to your right looks like it could ruin your day real quick. Anybody ever end up at the bottom of that valley?
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(original video fixed, removing off-topic comment - can't delete a replied-to post)

Last edited by Ian Epperson on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: