Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cricket in my Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Cricket in my Thing Reply with quote

HI
I have a sound that is driving me nuts(not far to get there). Had my wife pushing on my rear bumper and I could see the bolt attaching the rear shock mount(not sure if that is what that is called) to the body of the car moving. I tried to tighten it and could not get it to budge. I think if I used an impact it might tighten. Is that a good idea or do these have a tendency to brake off?
Any ideas on what I should do?
Thank
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the rear body bolts... So, actually your body is bolted to the shock mount.. Wink Anyway,
I would Not hit it with an impact.... Give it a few soak cycles with your favorite penetrating fluid and then try again with a socket.. Also, a quicker fix may be to just spray some silicone lube onto that rubber bushing sandwiched between the body and shock mount.. It's probably pretty dry and is chirping between the metal..

I spray all the rubber bushings I can find on All my cars, as chirps and squeaks drive me nuts!! Rolling Eyes

Good luck!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a good torch will brake up what ever is bonding it. If you get the head of the bolt close to glowing, let it cool down a bit then put a wrench on it might get it to move.
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone know where to get the rubber buffer 111-799-119 (find item 3 in the parts manual page 172) These are hard as rocks and if I get them loose I would like to just replace them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brooklyn thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.....I would be very careful about trying to turn those bolts. Don't you risk breaking the welds that hold the nut? Aren't the nuts inaccessible without cutting a hole in the body? I mention this because one of mine broke free and the bolt just spins. I was thinking of cutting the rubber out, cut a groove in a slightly larger rubber washer and force them into place with the body jacked up slightly.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These body pads are a common VW part and not Thing specific. The mounting hardware on the other hand is Thing only and should be soaked with PB Blaster of other rust penetrant. If I was removing those bolts I would do it over the period of a week.. First heat slightly and then spray PB blaster. I would start by trying to ever so slightly tighten then loosen the bolt. I would mover apply much pressure. Just keep working toward that free movement with no force.. When these bolts break that are a pan to repair. Ask me how I know. . It is way easier to take your time and get the bolt out. If you are patient and take your time, every bolt will come out. The minute you put your back into it, usually a bolt breaks. Each side originally had two pads.. They slide on the steel bushing that goes on the body bolt. The center section of the Thing’s body bolts solidly to the pan. The front and rear of the body bolts with rubber pads to the rear torsion arm assembly and the front beam as suspension shock mounts.. The factory Thing manual says pn 111799 119 The Thing shop sells 111 899 115A This part is important to get OE and the rubber needs to be pliable. If you install an aftermarket (stiff rubber) the pad will crack and break within less than year. Ask me how I know.. West Coast Metric (and others have the “real” part... Do not be fooled. CSP have the original part for under $3:
http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_main.cgi?func=detail&artnr=12370c
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: