Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Source for Aftermarket Cruise Control
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captjon1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: New Source for Aftermarket Cruise Control Reply with quote

The Audiovox CSS 100 cruise control kit is no longer available but a motorcycle website is having them manufactured generically. They are the exact same kit for $170. I just got mine in the mail along with an extra vacuum canister. Here's the link if you are interested...

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=422

Now I just have to wait for decent weather to begin the install.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, please follow through with a report on the install!

With pictures please. Smile

I've been needing a new cruise control since I went to the Zetec.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone or is there a prior example of a cut out switch (as fitted to the brake) on the clutch pedal? The thing i've always disliked about the audiovox is the engine run away if you push the clutch without touching the brake pedal.
speedtek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always just get a small plunger style switch and mount it over the clutch actuator arm in parallel with the brake cct switch. The only extra you would need is a diode on the purple wire to prevent 12V from turning on your brake lights every time you pressed the clutch.

A fast, crude revision of their diagram, but it should give you the basic idea. Anyone with the skill to install the cruise control should be able to install the mod.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedtek wrote:
...you would need is a diode on the purple wire to prevent 12V from turning on your brake lights every time you pressed the clutch...

That's what I was thinking only w/o the diode -- I kinda like the idea of my brake lights coming on when I hit the clutch -- keep the tailgaters on their toes.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I just being a cheapskate or do others think $170 is a bit up there for that thing?????

PS: I am going to integrate my Subaru cruise in to my Suby conversion so I have not use for the above unit. But hard for me to consider that unit at approaching $200 delivered.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the suby unit those things blow most guys doin the conversion use an after market becaue of simplicity and the sub ones r expensive it has to be out of a certian year suby as well i forget which year. 170 is a good price
1964 vespa vbb 150
1973 vespa sprint
2005 toyota tacoma Ole reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIRATE wrote:
good luck with the suby unit those things blow most guys doin the conversion use an after market becaue of simplicity and the sub ones r expensive it has to be out of a certian year suby as well i forget which year. 170 is a good price

My Suby harness had the cruise in it. I will review the article that describes the use of the Suby setup. Not all that important to me, but a nice gizmo since I have the Vanagon switch stocks to use with it. We'll see....

Still not convinced that $170 is THAT good a price....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanna spring the money for it... Rostra makes a nice universal electronic cruise control (no vacuum!). Judging by their site, it doesn't look like the Vanagon is technically supported anymore... but it's the same unit that I installed in my previous van. I think it came out to almost $300 Shocked with the separately sold switches and pick up sensor. Good product though. I have all the part numbers somewhere.

http://www.rostra.com/products/aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.html

Having a clutch switch was fantastic. Need to put one of these on my current van.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased the electronic for one of my motorcycles. I didn't install it but I know several others who installed it without issue and loved it. With I hadn't given mine to the guy that bought my last bike. Sad
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Am I just being a cheapskate or do others think $170 is a bit up there for that thing?????

It's about double what I paid for mine about 3 -4 years ago.

I don't think we've had 100% inflation over that period of time.

But if there are no alternatives, then you charge what the market will bear. Monopoly price point now.

BTW, if it truly is identical to the Audiovox unit, then note that if the pin switches are set to manual transmission, the unit still works fine without any coil or tachometer input. So it's fine to use for diesels, so long as you wire tie the magnets to one of your axles or CV joints (or use the VSS on the speedometer, I guess, but I have not tested that configuration personally).

If you have a coil/tach input, there is no clutch switch necessary because the software in the unit will sense if the RPM rises suddenly without a corresponding vehicle speed rise, and it then switches the cruise off. I suppose this protects against a slipping clutch, where a clutch-pedal switch would not.

I thought the absence of a clutch-pedal switch would be annoying, since I have no tach input to the unit in my diesel, and so the software would not prevent the engine revving with the clutch depressed. But in real life driving, I don't miss it. When you think about it, the times you hit the clutch without simultaneously hitting the brake, while under cruise control, are pretty rare. I guess the odd steep uphill climb which needed a downshift would be the only situation, but it's not too hard to manually press "off" or quickly tap the brake before downshifting. The "resume" button works a treat...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: