Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel gauge
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't the Voltage Stabilizer do things besides run the fuel gauge?

BTW, when full mine goes past 1/2 - it consistently goes to about 7/8 or so - still an annoyance
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And mine is the opposite. When full it is pegged, and after 60 miles it is still at full but not pegged, at 1/2 tank mark it takes 10 gallons to fill it. I use the trip odometer more than the gas gauge these days....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
WBXR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I had the same issue a month or so ago.

I dropped the tank, checked the sending unit (thought it might be a grounding issue), and traced the wires all the way forward. Nada. Maybe the gauge itself (20+ years old) is dying.

When I drive up steep hills the level goes waaay down; when I drive downhill, it goes back up. Go figure!

Same here, I just started clocking my miles every fill up just to be safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
And mine is the opposite. When full it is pegged, and after 60 miles it is still at full but not pegged, at 1/2 tank mark it takes 10 gallons to fill it. I use the trip odometer more than the gas gauge these days....

This is how mine behaves.. until it cuts out entirely. Then it shows empty (dead) until its restarted cold. Sometimes won't even reset after that, now.

I have been using the odomoeter as a matter of habit on most cars, I drive...
And the VW has a small gas can along for the ride, in case I ever stray too far from a pump.. Hasn't happened yet.
<knocks on wood>

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

I know its been a while since the last response. My fuel gauge is NOT working at all. tested the gauge itself (with a 9v batt) and it moves. foil is surprisingly in amazing shape for a late 85. all continuity there. i assume that the voltage stabilizer works as the coolant temp gauge also runs on 10V and works fine. im not currently anywhere near the vehicle, but looked at the wiring diagram (92.62). it shows that the sender is supposed to ground by the fuel pump (?) i dont have any other ground wires by the fuel pump other than the fuel pump itself (recently replaced so i know whats there). is there any other place it would ground? is there a way to check the wiring all the way up to the sender without dropping the tank? thanks!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

Just to be sure, what year model is your Vanagon?

I've never seen no other ground wire at the Fuel Pump besides the one for the pump itself...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Just to be sure, what year model is your Vanagon?

I've never seen no other ground wire at the Fuel Pump besides the one for the pump itself...

its a late model 85GL (single tps below throttle body), 1.9 digijet. wiring diagram show 15 as the grounding point for the sender (1mm brown wire), same as the fuel pump. the legend states 15 is near the fuel pump (see track 18 and 31 on 97.62, legend on 97.60 of bentley)
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

Thanks.

I installed an ALH TDI in my 84 Vanagon which had the Digijet fueling system. So, as an aid, I copied all of the appropriate wiring schematics of both the Jetta and Van to do extensive research and note taking.

Although my Van is an 84 the wiring schematic is practically the same as the 85 model. My schematic shows what you referenced on page 97.60 to be on page 97.56.

Anyway, they both reflect the ground point for the fuel gauge sending unit to be at 15. 15 is supposed to be at or near the fuel pump as you stated.

Well, I do believe they screwed up because there is no such ground wire near the fuel pump.

I did replace the connector for the fuel sending unit to the connector from the Jetta fuel tank because I used the Jetta fuel sending unit in the Vanagon Tank. However, the Van wiring was not used because in my case the two circuits go directly to the Jetta Cluster, which I did install.

So, considering the fuel level sensor is on the left side of the fuel tank and the fuel pump is on the right side of the vehicle, I seriously doubt that they extended a ground wire all the way over to an area near the fuel pump. I just do not remember that being the case... I've had my fuel tank off and on several times. Thus, I'm think both the ground and positive circuit go back toward the dash of the Vanagon ... most likely the ground is going to be either under the dash or some where on the body near the left side of the fuel tank.... makes more sense to me!

Sorry for such a long explanation.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

Unfortunately on many vans VW chose to put the ground for the fuel tank sender above the tank itself. The brown ground wire is screwed into a frame rail where the tank hides it.

There is some risk but you could lower the tank enough to reach the sender wiring plug. Then pull the wires out enough to where you can work on them. Cut the brown and extend it with more wire so you can screw it to body metal where it can be reached.

Mark

jerryherb wrote:
....... im not currently anywhere near the vehicle, but looked at the wiring diagram (92.62). it shows that the sender is supposed to ground by the fuel pump (?) i dont have any other ground wires by the fuel pump other than the fuel pump itself (recently replaced so i know whats there). is there any other place it would ground? is there a way to check the wiring all the way up to the sender without dropping the tank? thanks!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

Yep, that was what I was thinking ... the ground has to be near the area of the tank.

There is quite a bit of "slack" in the two wires. But, without removing the cross-over vent pipe, it will be very difficult to lower the tank enough to access the connector at the sending unit. It's worth a try, but keep in mind, if one or both of the fittings of the cross-over vent pipe pops out of their grommet, they will need to be put back... other gasoline will come out when full and/or sloshing.
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

thanks. i'll give it a look with an inspection camera before i stick my fat hands in there.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

I can second the suggestion to check/replace the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster first. 99% that's your problem and nothing inside the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
I can second the suggestion to check/replace the voltage regulator on the back of the cluster first. 99% that's your problem and nothing inside the tank.

from the foil wiring it looks to me as if the voltage regulator controlled both fuel and temp gauges. if it was the VR both gauges would be dead as they both run on the same VR leg for 10V needed. still didnt get around to checking the continuity of pin 7 on the female side of the connector to see if im getting any voltage on it at all (at least i think its 7 on my 85 cluster as im nowhere near it)
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

they don't necessarily fail "dead", they can in many cases not output the right amount (sufficient) of voltage and cause the gauge to misread low.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

anybody have a quick way to check the VR they can post?
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge Reply with quote

pull the wire to the fuel level sensor and short the two connections together. If the fuel gauge goes full tank its good. if it only goes part way up its shot. easy on a syncro, a bit harder to reach on 2wd
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: