Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I put in a bigger cam without doing anything else?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamrens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Can I put in a bigger cam without doing anything else? Reply with quote

I am picking up a used 1600 dual port motor its a 73 dual relief block.. im also getting a new set of jugs and pistons with it.. my ? is can iput a bigger cam in it without having to do anything but install the cam and new gaskets... I whould like to put a 110 cam in it. whyle i have the jugs off of it.. I have never broke down a vw motor.. i also plan on porting and polishing the heads on it...
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're gonna do a new cam you might as well rebuild the bottom end too if it needs it.
jamrens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never done that before.. so im thinking if i keep everything in place all i have to do is just replace the gaskets and torque everything to speck... my question is how hard is it going to be to do it for the first time.. will i have to worry about crank endplay or since im not changing anything on it it should be the same...
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A W110 in an otherwise stock motor wouldn't be a very good motor to live with day to day. If you carry your head plan/idea a little further you could build a nice motor around that cam. Dual carbs (Dell 36's, Weber 40IDF's, Kads) and a 1 3/8" header combined with your head work is a good combo for starters. You could also up displacement a bit. When you split the case to install the cam you should have the case checked as it will probably need a line bore, thrust cut, etc. You could open the case for 90.5's. Also, as long as you have the case in for machine work get it tapped for full flow.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should all be the same, but my advice is take the extra time and check everything that's in there. If it needs replacing then do it. You motor will thank you.
jamrens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i should just replace my jugs and pistons and not mess with the cam.. just rebuild my old motor instead of messing with the one im buying
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'd do. It depends on how much time you have. If you've never taken a VW motor apart before you'll want to take your time, get the machine work done and do it right. Do you know how the motor ran before? Good oil pressure?
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
jamrens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its coming from a salvage yard but allegedly the owners motor that is smoking real bad.. Acording to him it only has abut 7k miles on it... so what do i need to know about installing pistons and jugs?
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, I would split the case and do it right. Yes, you could replace just the P/C's but you never know what else might crop up when the motor is in your car. Swapping P/C's is not that big a deal but we can't tell you all the details on here. You need to get yourself a book like Tom Wilson's Rebuilding VW engines or get one of the Bug Me videos. They show you in detail how to do it.

RockCrusher wrote:
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it right and don't look back. Seriously.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
oukno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it only has around 7k on it???
most likely some thing was done wrong last time
don't throw away a new set of P&C's by sticking them on a engine that has issues in the short block
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: