Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

W110 cam in a 1600?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: W110 cam in a 1600? Reply with quote

Ok so thinking about building a new engine for the camper.
Cant really go any bigger than a 1600 due to machining costs in the UK and the price of a stroker crank is stupid (£300 or about $480) so its stock'ish size for me.
Have been recommended the W110 cam and hopefully got a set of baby dells FRDs, also thinking maybe 1.25:1 ratio rockers.
Anything else i should consider?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1600 in my old '72. it had a W110 it ran well and don't recall prob's. It was a long time ago. My recent 1600 build for my current '72 has a W100, it is closer to a stock grind with better torque than the W110. This motor also has dual 34ICT's and stock rockers.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like WebCam. They know the business, look for the best products to build from, the owner now in his 60's, has been around VWs since he was a kid. I had a 1971 1600 bus for years and using just stock lifters, rockers and a nice cam you can make them run really well. You will want to balance everything from the flywheel to the pulley as a 1600 will be wound up in 3rd a little more frequently than a larger engine, but they cool really well compared to a larger engine. Maybe the WebCam 86 would be a good cam for an improvement over stock. I think the Engle 110 is too much for the street and I don't like the higher lift cams as it puts more of a load on the camshaft. VW's don't have the camshaft bearing support many engines do. Add in heavy springs and high lift is just another place to create wear. The exhaust and intakes won't let you use a wild cam anyway unless you want to give up your heater (and carb heat if you go to dual carbs).
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I like WebCam. They know the business, look for the best products to build from, the owner now in his 60's, has been around VWs since he was a kid. I had a 1971 1600 bus for years and using just stock lifters, rockers and a nice cam you can make them run really well. You will want to balance everything from the flywheel to the pulley as a 1600 will be wound up in 3rd a little more frequently than a larger engine, but they cool really well compared to a larger engine. Maybe the WebCam 86 would be a good cam for an improvement over stock. I think the Engle 110 is too much for the street and I don't like the higher lift cams as it puts more of a load on the camshaft. VW's don't have the camshaft bearing support many engines do. Add in heavy springs and high lift is just another place to create wear. The exhaust and intakes won't let you use a wild cam anyway unless you want to give up your heater (and carb heat if you go to dual carbs).

See above. BTW, I did not get my engine balanced ( good idea though ) but I am running a counter weighted crank.
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a 110 in a 1600 with dual 36 Dells and (shockhorror) a 009 for years. Ran great, no flat spot, excellent torque in stop-and-go traffic.

That was a Bug, but I don't think a Bus would be that much different.
Check out my ongoing story.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That was a Bug, but I don't think a Bus would be that much different.

I've run that combo in bugs also. However, the bus weighs a couple more pounds than a bug ( 2-3+/-) and the camper weighs a few more ( 5-6 +/-). Laughing Go for the torque, you'll need it. Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that is too much cam unless you want to be in 3rd gear at 5000 RPM all the time.
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, this set up was recommended to me by a guy running it. He said it was a bit lumpy on tickover but fine when running.
Might have a look at the W100 as there the same price, would i need high lift rockers with this cam or can i get away with stock (save money is what i really mean Laughing )
Currently running a stainless steel single quiet pack exhaust with 'J' tubes so going to eb using this exhaust.
SVDA dizzy with electronic ignition module fitted.
Can go either single port (if i use the exiasting heads) or i have a spare set of twin port heads i can use.

Anything to consider?

Last edited by worton75 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So more aggressive cams are better for revs and not s good for low end torque?

On a related question I read that increasing the intake port diameter has the same sort of effect. Is this so? I mean on a single port. All this low end torque vs. top end power is interesting.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
So more aggressive cams are better for revs and not s good for low end torque?

On a related question I read that increasing the intake port diameter has the same sort of effect. Is this so? I mean on a single port. All this low end torque vs. top end power is interesting.

In general the greater the overlap and longer the duration the valves are open the higher the RPM the cam works at. Cams cannot cover both the low and high RPMS as they work only in one range. Honda for example in my Acura RL and the Integra VTEC engines has two different camshafts lobes built into the cam at each valve. Which one operates is dependant on oil pressure switched from a solenoid. When the engine reaches a certain RPM the high RPM cam lobe engages. When the RPM falls to a certain point the solenoid drops oil pressure to the lobe and the lobe disengages. Neat trick. You choose a camshaft for the RPM range you plan on running. If you want to drive around at 5,000 RPM all the time or have your engine idle at 1500 RPM, install a hot long duration cam.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have liked the W-110 but the majority think it's the wrong cam for a bus unless you want a hot rod to play with around town. It's a great cam for a light bug. The W-100 in a bus puts more power where you want it. More torque in the low rpm range. And is the one recommended by most quality builders. Much better for road trips and longer life. It's mild but you can appreciate the difference over stock. Just match it with good lifters and everything else would remain stock.
I run the Engle W-100 and it was a good choice. 1600 along with dual port, dual baby Webers, headers, dual quiet pack mufflers, and a complete static and dynamic balance. Starts excellent, runs smooth and great with nice performance improvement, and excellent mileage also. Also it seems to run cooler. I would't enlarge the ports because you want the velocity but I did match port and also polish the ports.
Yes, for a bus I'd always recommend the W-100 but not a W-110.
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
I run the Engle W-100 and it was a good choice. 1600 along with dual port, dual baby Webers, headers, dual quiet pack mufflers, and a complete static and dynamic balance. Starts excellent, runs smooth and great with nice performance improvement, and excellent mileage also. Also it seems to run cooler. I would't enlarge the ports because you want the velocity but I did match port and also polish the ports.
Yes, for a bus I'd always recommend the W-100 but not a W-110.

Thats pretty much the spec i'm thinking of, just need to strip down the case i have and check / replace the bearings and then i can make a start.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Tom Wilsons engine building book yet? It's as absolutely essential as much as putting a crankshaft in the engine. Wink
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have the tom wilson book but found a lot more answers on various forums Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question mate - why come here and ask questions if you have already made your mind up. I always thought the purpose of asking a question was to get help rather than tell others what they don't know. Some of the folks who you have blown off their suggestions have 30 - 40 years building engines that do really well. Maybe I am reading it wrong.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much duration. valves are held open too long and torque is lost. the motor needs more rpm to reap the benefits. 100 has a better torque number at a lower rpm. better for a heavy bus. torque is king over horse power. here we go...i went with a SLR cam and matched lifters in my 1915 in my last bus. sweet. was a compromise ...a tad over the 100 and a tad under the 110. very torquey ad revved like a son of a gun. if you rev remember you must have a better balanced rotating assembly...or good quality stuff.
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Serious question mate - why come here and ask questions if you have already made your mind up. I always thought the purpose of asking a question was to get help rather than tell others what they don't know. Some of the folks who you have blown off their suggestions have 30 - 40 years building engines that do really well. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

I knew roughly what spec i wanted but was unsure on cam choice, i asked if a W110 is to much for a 1600 as this is what has been recommended to me and the general opinion is its to much cam and have recommended the W100 so this is what i am now going with, how is this blowing anyone off?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worton75 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I knew roughly what spec i wanted but was unsure on cam choice, i asked if a W110 is to much for a 1600 as this is what has been recommended to me and the general opinion is its to much cam and have recommended the W100 so this is what i am now going with, how is this blowing anyone off?

glad to hear you have decided on the 100 instead of 110. The reason DBM suggested Tom Wilson is that it is an almost mandatory reading book if one is to build a VW engine for the first time. Bentley is needed also. There is alot to gain from the forums but without a basis it is impossible to tell what is BS and what is good advice. Books like Wilson are dated but they give a good foundation. I kept hearing you say 110 and it is just too much top end for a bus engine. Great on a bug friday night cruiser but a bus is too heavy. Personally I like WebCam camshafts as their reputation outweighs all others. I have run Engle in a 1971 dual port and it was fine but no where near the quality of the WebCam I have now.
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be totally honest here in the UK performance parts (and company's) are limited, its pretty much the Engle, the SCAT or the FK range of cams.
Do you have a link to the WebCam site maybe i can contact them?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.webcamshafts.com

UK dealer don't know how good their pricing is:
TTS PERFORMANCE PARTS LTD
England
Phone: 011/132-7858212
www.tts-performance.co.uk

Also here is a link to all the dealers including France, Germany, Canada, Belgium, etc. Scott at GermanSupply.com in Toronto CA also sells them. Don't know how reasonable shipping is from Canada to the UK.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/mobile/distributors.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: