Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brent's 69 Fastback Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dong!

Update on a couple things here.

I had Dan Lawson and crew at Competition Enginnering in Phoenix put in an external cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan. It really helps bring the temp down and they did a really clean job of putting it in. I would have done it myself, but I've been staying at my Dad's place and he doesn't even have jack stands.

It's 110F here, so naturally the oil is still a bit hot, but by no way pegging high in the 250+ range as before.

On oil - this thread has been pretty helpful:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467803&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

With the 10W-30, she was barely making 10# per 1k, so I'm back to a thicker oil. Brad Penn this time from the shop when they put in the cooler. We'll see how she does as I'm driving to LA tomorrow morning. Very early to beat the heat. Wish I could be at the Invasion instead...

My oil leak from the pump cover is fixed now (second time), and I have no leaks from anywhere.

The custom breather box I had made was slightly too big. So I installed a second breather under the engine cover to the rear of the 'handle'. All is well so far.

New speedo cable is in, the last one broke on the wheel side. This one is a GEMO, so we'll see how it works out. I was a bit more conscientious putting this one in and avoiding any too tight curves in the cable.

Next up will be installing front beam skid plates. I'm tearing up my tow ring.
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That still bothers me that you have such low oil pressure on a fresh motor. You should have no problem running 10w30, factory it was 30w and multi-viscoity oils are 10w when cold (less damage to internals at start up, and 30w when warm.

Glad the external cooler is working for you, and I'm glad you made it to the invasion.

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent it really turned out to be a beautiful car , very nice very nice!!!

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:

Thank you!

Supaninja- I actually didn't go to the Invasion. I have a 5 week course near LA starting tomorrow morning. I wouldn't have made it back in time... Maybe next time.

So I drove from Phoenix to just north of LA today. Oil was much cooler, still a bit hot coming through the desert, but once I got into a little cooler weather I didn't see above 225. I think I'll try 10w-40 at the next oil change and see how does with pressure. The builder recommended 10w-40 or 20w-50, so I'll try going down in viscosity at the next oil change. This thing takes a ton of oil now! 3 + 3/4 (full flow) + 2 (sump) + 2 (cooler and lines). That's almost 8 quarts!

But she's running well, and I think the tune is just about right. I averaged just under 27 mpg with the car fully loaded front, back, rear and passenger seats. Plus my fat arse.
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really good mileage Brent, sounds like the tune is about spot on, which dizzy are you running?

I didn't make it either, maybe next time for me too Sad

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:

Thank you!

Supaninja- I actually didn't go to the Invasion. I have a 5 week course near LA starting tomorrow morning. I wouldn't have made it back in time... Maybe next time.

So I drove from Phoenix to just north of LA today. Oil was much cooler, still a bit hot coming through the desert, but once I got into a little cooler weather I didn't see above 225. I think I'll try 10w-40 at the next oil change and see how does with pressure. The builder recommended 10w-40 or 20w-50, so I'll try going down in viscosity at the next oil change. This thing takes a ton of oil now! 3 + 3/4 (full flow) + 2 (sump) + 2 (cooler and lines). That's almost 8 quarts!

But she's running well, and I think the tune is just about right. I averaged just under 27 mpg with the car fully loaded front, back, rear and passenger seats. Plus my fat arse.

whats a quart ? is that comparable to a liter?
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
whats a quart ? is that comparable to a liter?

A little bit less, 4 quarts (or 1 gallon) = 3.78 liters.

We're kind of stuck with the SAE unit measurement system over here, although SI makes more sense.

Supaninja - I'm running a Glenn refurb'd 010. I wonder if an SVDA would be worth it. I could probably get a few more mpg, and I have the vac ports on my carbs for it. Maybe time to send John C. an email?
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vac advance>all centrifugal adv dizzies when it come to mileage. That being said, you are getting awesome mileage with that 010 Shocked

Nick
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to the SVDA to run the lean cruise with my dells. It will run 40 or so degrees cooler running at 16-17 AFR at cruise, But i don't get enough time for it to settle down driving back and forth to work in 10 minutes. So it's pretty grumpy when it starts upnormally around 18-19 on the AFR until it gets warm. So I swapped back to 13Afr across the board.

My 26mm pump is 50 psi at start-up and 10psi when the oil is up to temp with 10w30 brad penn. did you blueprint the pump as per the "how to hot rod" book? Is it a snug fit in the case, or o-ringed? I about shat my pants when i first took the car out and saw what kind of pressure it was putting out.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I switched to the SVDA to run the lean cruise with my dells. It will run 40 or so degrees cooler running at 16-17 AFR at cruise, But i don't get enough time for it to settle down driving back and forth to work in 10 minutes. So it's pretty grumpy when it starts upnormally around 18-19 on the AFR until it gets warm. So I swapped back to 13Afr across the board.

My 26mm pump is 50 psi at start-up and 10psi when the oil is up to temp with 10w30 brad penn. did you blueprint the pump as per the "how to hot rod" book? Is it a snug fit in the case, or o-ringed? I about shat my pants when i first took the car out and saw what kind of pressure it was putting out.

I didn't pull the pump out of the case to check. Didn't want to create a leak. I didn't build it, so I don't know.

It does make decent pressure, about the same as you. I think with the 10w-30 plus it being so hot was dropping the pressure.

I'm all in the 13's for AFR too.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you are doing most of your driving more than 10 or 20 minutes, switching to an SVDA and rejetting to 16AFR at light cruise would bring the head temps down, and boost you MPG.

I would say 225F in the desert with an aircooled is doing pretty good Wink

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a pic of the cooler install?
I'd love to see it.

What’s That Noise?!?
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Got a pic of the cooler install?
I'd love to see it.

Here's what I could get lying on my back with no jack stands. Notice relocation of the shock tower tabs. If I were to do it again I wouldn't bother, it's bolted to the body there anyway. The cooler went in as an afterthought, and if I were doing it again I'd use a Setrab from the beginning. But they did a nice job and had custom SS hoses made up so it fits all nice. Should last forever; using rubber hoses and hose clamps for FF or coolers kind of gives me a bad feeling. On the argument of how much power the fan draws robbing HP -- it's something like 500mA to run it; miniscule in comparison to something like headlights.

I've been driving around Ventura a lot and temps are much lower now.

I also put in a breather and have it hooked up the the R valve cover. Quality on the Bugpack breather is questionable, but it works.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IAMIROY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, glad it made a difference.
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:

I agree 100% I love that car Brent. I wish mine was even close to yours in quality. Thanks for the good conversation we had. Hope you enjoyed Classic.

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:

I agree 100% I love that car Brent. I wish mine was even close to yours in quality. Thanks for the good conversation we had. Hope you enjoyed Classic.

Thanks Don! I'll make it to LA area again for the PCH cruise on the 22nd. Looking forward to meeting up with the T3 crowd. I hope you can make it out to the meet point and represent the Fastbacks! I have a feeling I may be the lone one if it's like the BBQ.
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAMIROY wrote:

I'll be interested to see how Mark's runs. I still can't figure out why I was running so hot. This car is my driver right now, driving it everyday; I had to do something to get the oil temps down.
IAMIROY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
IAMIROY wrote:

I'll be interested to see how Mark's runs. I still can't figure out why I was running so hot. This car is my driver right now, driving it everyday; I had to do something to get the oil temps down.

We won't have a temp gauge to look at.

You should road trip to Mark's one day this weekend. We are almost ready to put the motor in and fire it up.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you measuring the oil temps from?
I have the sensor in the relief plug hole, and am getting some high oil temps with this 30C + weather we are having lately.
I'm thinking of a cooler addition as well

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Where are you measuring the oil temps from?
I have the sensor in the relief plug hole, and am getting some high oil temps with this 30C + weather we are having lately.
I'm thinking of a cooler addition as well

I'm borrowing this picture, but it's set up just like this one. Drill and tap right into the flow stream. Now that the cooler is installed, it's getting temps into the cooler.

Before the cooler I was getting around 250 just cruising the freeway. Now with the cooler, I can drive all day and it will only get above 225 if I'm really working it up a hill and it's hot outside. I drove it through the Arizona desert at the end of June and it stayed pretty cool considering it was 110 outside. I'm pretty confident the gauges are right too, as I tried a couple and tested in boiling water.

I also took off the deep sump and haven't noticed any change in temperature. It just seemed to add a lot of extra oil ($$) and I didn't like that the strainer didn't fit with it on.

-----------

In other news, I put the car into storage a few days ago. I'm taking an overseas job and it's just not practical to take with me. She's in good hands though; indoor covered storage, temp/humidity controlled, and a monthly start up, fluid check, and battery charge. I did it once before with another vehicle and was impressed with the service.

The break will give me some time to plan out my dream Squareback build too. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: