Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas pedal spring ?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

Last time I removed the pedal to get out small gravel and noticed the wire spring that holds the pivot pin in place was broken off. The short end sets on the floor if I recall and the long end fits into a tab on the back of the metal pedal. It also serves to hold the pedals pivot pin in place.

What is the function of this spring? Does it hold the angle of the pedal? I didn't feel any difference when ever it broke. I know on fords which had plastic pedals pivot at the top have a similar spring and all it does is hold the pedals angle so it does not flop forward.

The roller comes up fully since the throttle return spring pulls it full up , the only other spring i see is for the auto trans brake pedal.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
Last time I removed the pedal to get out small gravel and noticed the wire spring that holds the pivot pin in place was broken off. The short end sets on the floor if I recall and the long end fits into a tab on the back of the metal pedal. It also serves to hold the pedals pivot pin in place.

What is the function of this spring? Does it hold the angle of the pedal? I didn't feel any difference when ever it broke. I know on fords which had plastic pedals pivot at the top have a similar spring and all it does is hold the pedals angle so it does not flop forward.

The roller comes up fully since the throttle return spring pulls it full up , the only other spring i see is for the auto trans brake pedal.

It has 2 purposes, one, like in your old ford was to prop it up at you. And second is to hold the pivot pin in place (loading the spring against the floor).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

I ordered a kit that has the spring and roller . E clip and washer and pivot pin where the spring fits and another pin that the roller arm pivots on. I was going to get as pedal pad yet mine is good just missing the bottom flap that goes under the carpet. Besides I didn't want to spend any more money for a pad since WCM was out of them and if I got it else where it's another shipping cost.

My roller is fine as is the metal pedal and the arm is not bent. The long pivot pin looked fine yet if the new one is in better shape I'll use it. Can't say i need the arm pivot pin it seems free enough and I'm sure the original roller is better than the replacement. Mine is missing the E clip and i have no idea where the washer goes of if there was one originally , I don't see much side to side slop in the roller. If I need the washer then I will use it I guess it goes between the E clip and roller might even go on the other side. Thing is the roller lips need to follow the back of the pedal guide which is on an angle so i need to see which way allows it not to bind. I've never looked at the arms pivot pin and the rollers pin is not bent or is the arm.

I don't think you can get the arms pivot pin out unless you remove the pedal assembly the tunnel seems to hold it from coming out and no way am I dealing with that.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I ordered a kit that has the spring and roller.

I don't think you can get the arms pivot pin out unless you remove the pedal assembly the tunnel seems to hold it from coming out and no way am I dealing with that.

I would wait on it too. Eventually the main brake line to the rear will eventually spring a leak, so that will be the time to pull the pedal cluster out and fix it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
blues90 wrote:
I ordered a kit that has the spring and roller.

I would wait on it too. Eventually the main brake line to the rear will eventually spring a leak, so that will be the time to pull the pedal cluster out and fix it.

I certainly hope the line doesn't spring a leak. I've read they leak in the car near the front and rust either from the inside or from the outside both from rust . Mine looks new at least on the outside along the tunnel from the pedal to the rear seat and out to the brass tee. I change the fluid drain the reservoir once a year and refill yet haven't bleed it in a while.

i
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

Got the gas pedal repair kit yesterday from WCM . I didn't use the roller mine was fine , used the washer and E clip mine were missing, didn't use the pivot pin mine was tapered on one end and had a deeper groove. The spring I used What a battle that spring was . Last time I had the pedal pivot pin out there was part of the spring , it was gone this time. The new spring fought me all the way. I know how it goes in and how to do it yet trying to push it forward so the pin enters because it's hooked over the rear of the pedal hing welded to the floor was a fight. If I recall the original spring was not as thick just can't recall.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

First drive after installing spring . And the idle was way up and I realized the rubber cover is missing half of the tang the fits under the carpet and it was on top so I forced it under the carpet I should have cut it off. I ordered a new rubber the rpm was almost 2000 RPM and the car was driving itself.

I'm almost ready to install one of those roller pedals yet I hear they are not so great.

I also didn't realize my pedal pivot is not welded to the floor it's part of the cast aluminum unit. I even cleaned the pivot and oiled it and cleaned best I could the roller arm pivot point and oiled it to make sure nothing was hanging up.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

Gas pedal spring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the same kit I bought see the cheap crappy spring. When I got it in the part of the spring that fits around the pin is thick and only has a few wraps , there is enough space left on the pins groove to fit two. designed like this is works yet the spring leans.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is more what the spring should look like see how many wraps the spring has.

I spoke to ISP West and they have a better quality repair kit , Anthony said it's not on their site he just said it had a tapered pin and a better quality spring not that it had more wraps.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

These gas pedal kits are complete crap. I don't know who the hell makes these I get the feeling it's EMPI because ISP West said there are better kits that are not that cheap Chinese crap.

I was told by ISP West that they have a better one that Wolfsburg west makes and they stock . it's mainly the spring I need . I made one out of a section of heater cable I had left over to see how it fits , It seems like music wire and does act like a spring they are .062" thick I just made more wraps and shaped it a bit more like the real deal from photo's I found.

If it doesn't do it then I'll need to order another kit , ISP has a spring yet it's the same one I have. Already wasted $30 odd on the crappy seat slides and this rebuild kit. It seems to get good parts buy from a place that makes them not the stuff that rides with no name.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
These gas pedal kits are complete crap. I don't know who the hell makes these I get the feeling it's EMPI because ISP West said there are better kits that are not that cheap Chinese crap.

I was told by ISP West that they have a better one that Wolfsburg west makes and they stock . it's mainly the spring I need . I made one out of a section of heater cable I had left over to see how it fits , It seems like music wire and does act like a spring they are .062" thick I just made more wraps and shaped it a bit more like the real deal from photo's I found.

If it doesn't do it then I'll need to order another kit , ISP has a spring yet it's the same one I have. Already wasted $30 odd on the crappy seat slides and this rebuild kit. It seems to get good parts buy from a place that makes them not the stuff that rides with no name.

Do you have a local Ace hardware nearby or in your travels to the doctor? Might be worth having a look there for one instead of buying stuff that won't work for you. I wonder if you couldn't use a Ford part instead?
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
blues90 wrote:

Do you have a local Ace hardware nearby or in your travels to the doctor? Might be worth having a look there for one instead of buying stuff that won't work for you. I wonder if you couldn't use a Ford part instead?

Not really for hardware stores and Ford are different. I called Wolfsburg West they sell the spring by itself only a few dollars. The one I made out of the heater control cable I have left come out fine. I got a new pedal rubber from ISP West , mine is so hard and stiff and the flap the fits under the carpet acts like it's own spring I had to cut that off after adding the cheap spring or it would more than double the spring tension and not allow the roller to return fully back. WW is sending me a spring they make them like the originals and fit the pivot pins slot better. I had a hell of a time getting the cheapo spring in since they shaped it wrong where it hooks behind the pedal housing base had to fight to get the pin in, the winding the pin fits through is too far back , I had to push it forward to get the pin it. I didn't have anything to compare it with or I would have bent the hook back away from the pin. I'll have to bend it just to get the pin out.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

I just can't win . Wolfsburg west sent me two springs yet they are small coil springs for a Bus. I opened the package thinking I can finish this.

I'll have to wait until Monday and call them I emailed them describing it. I fellow who took the call was looking at the proper kit for a late roller pedal I don't know how the wrong springs happened .

I might just use the one I made from a heater cable it's certainly better than the cheap one . I wrapped it around a smaller drill bit so it is a perfect fit on the pin. It holds tension well and if all fails then I'll see what WW has to say maybe they don't sell this spring as a separate part. I just didn't want to pay for another kit and now being cheap on my part this is what happens.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I just can't win . Wolfsburg west sent me two springs yet they are small coil springs for a Bus. I opened the package thinking I can finish this.

I'll have to wait until Monday and call them I emailed them describing it. I fellow who took the call was looking at the proper kit for a late roller pedal I don't know how the wrong springs happened .

I might just use the one I made from a heater cable it's certainly better than the cheap one . I wrapped it around a smaller drill bit so it is a perfect fit on the pin. It holds tension well and if all fails then I'll see what WW has to say maybe they don't sell this spring as a separate part. I just didn't want to pay for another kit and now being cheap on my part this is what happens.

Have you tried contacting Mike Fisher or Joel, or even Jim Adney to see if any of them have a good used one? I realize it won't be new, but at least it'll be the right part. I only mention Mike or Joel, as they part out cars on a semi regular basis.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
blues90 wrote:

Have you tried contacting Mike Fisher or Joel, or even Jim Adney to see if any of them have a good used one? I realize it won't be new, but at least it'll be the right part. I only mention Mike or Joel, as they part out cars on a semi regular basis.

No , I used the one I made , it fits perfect and has the same amount of spring force the cheap one has it just fits better and fills the groove in the original pin. I replaced the pedals rubber cover too, the old one was far to stiff. I lifted the carpet and removed the metal cover and cleaned everything everywhere around the gas and auto trans brake pedal, even made sure the roller arm stops the two small arms that control how far back and forward the arm can travel and oiled the roller pivot arm to it's pin and the pedals pivot pin and the pedal where the pin fits through.

I did a search, here with someone asking why he didn't have enough travel and showed a photo of the pedal fully depressed and the roller was not touching the curved ramp the rides on the roller it's the larger curve at the top end of the back of the metal pedal, Tram suggested either the roller arm was rusted , hanging up of something was under the roller arms full forward stop. On mine before and after the cleaning the stop hits both full forward and back and with the pedal fully floored the roller does not reach the end either. Here's a link to that thread the last photo and on page 2 Tram comes in.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

When I last adjusted the throttle cable after I had the throttle body off and the runners I had the pedal down as far as it would go and adjusted the cable so the throttle was fully open hitting it's stop of the throttle body or IAD and made certain the throttle closed fully. This fellow had carbs mine is FI .

I have no idea how you can adjust the cable so the throttle is full open and closed and get the roller to touch the end on the pedal hook full open it does hit the roller arm stop at full throttle. I would have to adjust the cable longer and it would fully close yet it would not fully open. The Bentley does not tell you about throttle cable adjustment other than the clutch. My roller arm is not bent nor is the pedal. From what I can tell the roller arm stop is the full throttle stop and the roller to pedal is not a stop at all it just lands and stops short of the pedal hook by design. If the roller hit that front pedal ramp hook and got past it the throttle would catch at full open throttle.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

After all the cleaning by removing the carpet and the metal plate , I cleaned everything and lubed everything. Put the new rubber on and drove it and it still did the same thing, The only way I could get the idle to drop to where it should be is tap the gas pedal or reach down and pull up on it so the roller would move back , I removed the spring from the hook on the back of the pedal then it worked fine. Now the spring just keeps the pin from working out. The pedal seems easy to push down by hand yet the roller is not because you don't have the leverage.

What ever , I'm done with this crap. All that makes any sense is the IAD throttle return spring is weak all though getting it on the barrel is no easy task . Since the pedal spring is not very strong it's strong enough to raise the RPM from 1000 to 1500 RPM.
NzKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

I got mine from T3HQ

Check the classifieds. Mario has the correct spring for sale.

Not cheap but the correct parts never are.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

You have an automatic, right? Any chance something is hanging up on the kickdown assembly in back?
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

I fixed it , I asked another question about the Bowden tube here. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730734

It was just a matter of the roller only goes on one way and bending the spring I made a bit to relieve some tension , also on an AT the screw on end has a curve to match the barrel and I did not have it adjusted proper so sometimes it would not seat proper on the barrel so I just turned the nut a bit to only leave a bit of slack with the throttle closed it sometimes would change the idle RPM slightly is it touched one of the high spots and not fit the barrel.

It works now as it should. Mainly the after market springs are to strong reason I made my own.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

I made small springs and clips for lights in the past. Just went to a hardware / hobby store and bought piano wire in the same thickness like the old springs (it comes in straight blank rods and is a high strength steel rod). I did wrap it around a metal rod or nails which i put in a vise first. It takes a few test runs until the diameter matches the old spring, but it is dirt cheap and you do not have to wait until the wrong part shows up in the mail. Just have to wear googles and gloves just in case the steel wire snaps off and a good set of pliers to bent it. Works perfect and you can match the old unit. The only downside is - the wire are blank steel and are not galvanized. Wink
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gas pedal spring ? Reply with quote

I didn't use piano or music wire, I don't know what the heater cable wire is made of yet it has plenty of spring to it . If that fails then I'll get the proper spring or live without it it's been gone for many years. I also noticed even on the late gas pedal there is a small hole on the top right and also one on the roller lever so a small coil spring would work instead similar to what those HIGH dollar high tech replacement setups use. I have a few of those types of springs , all the other proper spring needs to do is keep the pin from walking out and the one I made cut off or so it is not connected to the back of the pedal will do that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: