Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove emergency brake cables
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: How to remove emergency brake cables Reply with quote

Guys. I have to remove the transmission out of my 1965 bug again and I was hoping to get it out this time without taking the brakes apart. I got the drum off, and the emergency brake cable disconnected on each side from the lever inside of the drum....but I cannot for the life of me get that silver metal hook that hooks to the lever out of the backing plate. It wont fit through the hole.

How do you guys do it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63beryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little clip the bolts onto the back of the backing plate...(12 mm I think) once you remove this bolt, you can wiggle the clip around/off the cable enough to remove it from the backing plate.

This plate isn't exactly like your car, but notice how large the hole in the backing plate is once the clip has been removed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 63beryl on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedebtfree wrote:
There's a little clip the bolts onto the back of the backing plate...(12 mm I think) once you remove this bolt, you can wiggle the clip around/off the cable enough to remove it from the backing plate.

ditto... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love you guys. Backing plate was pretty dirty and didnt even see the bolt. Man that sure made it a heck of a lot easier. Now that those are out, hard lines and tranny mounts and out she will come.

My day just got a whole lot better.
63beryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting those clips back into place can be more difficult than removing them, but you'll cross that bridge later. Post some pics if you have any.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for now, they are off. Transaxle will get pulled out this evening after class. I will address the reassembly later once I figure out what is wrong with the transaxle/possible sending it back to KCR.

I will let you know if I have problems putting it back together.

Thanks again guys. Appreciate it big time.
63beryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you posted about the issues you're having with the trans? If the trans was rebuilt your problem is unlikely inside the trans, but something that needs adjusted.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Kevin at KCR and had it checked out by a local VW shop. Loud noise happens when taking off from a dead stop. Grinding noise and when jacked up in the rear, the rear wheels have too much rotational play.

Have to pull it out, check to see if one of the large circlips came undone, and need to check to see if i have wear in the spider/side gears or check if the noise is from the differential.

I paid for a pro-street/freeway flier with a 3.88/.89 4th so if something might be wrong im pulling it. Im not gonna just keep driving and take a chance of it blowing up. On a college student budget, thats like 2 months pay. Gonna make sure everythings in good shape.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrblyoung wrote:
I talked to Kevin at KCR and had it checked out by a local VW shop. Loud noise happens when taking off from a dead stop. Grinding noise and when jacked up in the rear, the rear wheels have too much rotational play.

Have to pull it out, check to see if one of the large circlips came undone, and need to check to see if i have wear in the spider/side gears or check if the noise is from the differential.

I paid for a pro-street/freeway flier with a 3.88/.89 4th so if something might be wrong im pulling it. Im not gonna just keep driving and take a chance of it blowing up. On a college student budget, thats like 2 months pay. Gonna make sure everythings in good shape.

pay once-cry once.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Bill. Thats been my motto for this entire build. Between that transmission and my Type 4 conversion, I have been committed to doing it right. No cheaping out on stuff.

Im glad I regeared the transmission to the above specs. Still have a little bit of tuning left to do, but 35MPG on the first trip at a constant 70MPH all day long is a nice way to go. Thats with 36 Dells and a 010 dizzy tuned by ear. And yes all of that was GPS verified. Have a few little tweaks that I still plan on changing (stock weight flywheel and ignition system with vacuum) to boost that up to my goal mark of 40MPG.
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Removing backing plate Reply with quote

I have disconnected the brake lines, emergency brake line and 4 bolts but the backing plate doesn't want to come off. Is there a trick to getting these off?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing plates like to get rusted to the bearing housing
; Get a bigger hammer

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
mykidsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, how do you put the cable back in? mine didn't have e-break when i got it and i want to add it. Sorry to hijack your forum. Embarassed
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished doing this myself. Here's a pic of the clip on the back side of the backing plate. I think it's a 13mm bolt.

Here's a front view of the cable where it comes out. Kind of a pain in the ass.

If you can, get yourself volume 4 of the BugMe Videos on brakes.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
mykidsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was it difficult, I'm kind of a brick.. Think
Cabo9302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most difficult part was getting that retaining bracket that bolts to the back side of the drum to hook into the hole of the backing plate properly before you're able to start tightening the bolt. It just takes patience, and then again, you may have no trouble with it at all. Looks like these:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1589062

Notice the small tab at the top of the bracket - it's what hooks into the backing plate hole.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: