Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body filler before primer or after?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Body filler before primer or after? Reply with quote

What is the best way to go about this? have done some body work and had to put a coat of primer on the spots to avois rust. Do I need go back down to bare metal for the body filler or can it be applied over the primer?
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way! If you epoxy before filler then you have extra rust protection. If you put the filler on the metal, it usually adheres better. But, filler sucks up water. You have to put something non-porous on top of the filler otherwise water will be pulled right to the metal underneath (I've only heard this, no first hand proof).

But either way will be fine. The thing is 'mechanical' adhesion and the surface should be super clean and be sufficiently roughed up to grip.
TonysGarage
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Either way! If you epoxy before filler then you have extra rust protection. If you put the filler on the metal, it usually adheres better. But, filler sucks up water. You have to put something non-porous on top of the filler otherwise water will be pulled right to the metal underneath (I've only heard this, no first hand proof).

But either way will be fine. The thing is 'mechanical' adhesion and the surface should be super clean and be sufficiently roughed up to grip.

im going to have to disagree. DO NOT just apply filler over primer...the only filler that is designed to go directly on primer is poly filler---and poly filler is designed to straighten out small waves and pinholes. not dents.

if you have a dent or large wave that has to be filled and have already done as much hammer/dolly as you can--the primer needs to be taken off and the metal has to be sanded to allow a better bite for the mechanical adhesion to take place.

good luck--buy quality filler and follow the specs...do not apply over paint/primer if you want a product that will perform and last.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just any primer, but epoxy. Rage Gold is what I use and it works beautifully over epoxy.

There will obviously be times when you can't get to metal to apply filler.
What happens if you put filler, then sand it and there is still a low spot?
TonysGarage
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he say he used epoxy? I thought I read "primer". And it is still suggested to apply filler DTM even if you have epoxy on there. But if you apply over epoxy and have great results--that's awesome.

And I'm kind of confused with your other question--saying there are times where you can't get to metal and what happens if you apply filler, sand and there is still a low spot??

Obviously filler can be applied over filler. If you are filling a large dent with filler (not my style but many do just "fill" dents) then it's suggested to do it in thin layers anyways.
If you applied filler, thought it was straight and primered--only to block and still see a low spot--that's what poly filler is for.

And I can't even think of a time I can't get to bare metal.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chill,... gentlemen

filler goes against metal.
primer goes on last,.
anything more then 1/16" is a cat burying shit and might look ok for now, but will stink later,.. Wink
metal work is the key and to get it as close as possible.
Rage is a kickass product.
Bondo is not.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
chill,... gentlemen

filler goes against metal.
primer goes on last,.
anything more then 1/16" is a cat burying shit and might look ok for now, but will stink later,.. Wink
metal work is the key and to get it as close as possible.
Rage is a kickass product.
Bondo is not.

good post
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: