Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Napoleon hat threaded plates
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdog334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Napoleon hat threaded plates Reply with quote

I was in the process of removing my floor pans. The four frame head bolts gave me some trouble to remove. I had one snap off when almost all the way out.

My question is where can i find replacement threaded plates or should i just replace the nepoleons hat all together.

I noticed a lot of rust comming out the frame head bolt holes,but the hat looks to be solid......

One other question. I see that WW sells it apprear to be the whole frame head section. would it be easier to change out the whole section or just the hat?

Thanks
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your own threaded plates. All it is is a piece of rectangular metal with two holes that are threaded to accept the bolt. Why go through all the trouble R&R'ing the front of the pan (Napolean hat)
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plates (you can easily make up) are in the body not the frame head. Just repair the metal that needs to be repaired on the Napolean Hat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plates you are talking about:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't live in the napoleons hat, they live above that in the front firewall, the only way to access them is from the side of the firewall:

The four frame head bolts go through the napoleons hat, through the front tab of the heater channel bottom plate, and then into the front fire wall floating captive nut plate.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those plates float in a cage within the heater channel, removing the bottom plate of the heater channel will give you access to the plates. I cleaned up my plates when I worked on my heater channels, I'll see if I can find a photo.

Last edited by smkn_vw on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
smkn_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go . . . I think it just bends (no welds) to get the plate in and out. I still have nightmares of drill bits and sparks after some of the work I did on my heater channels.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smkn_vw wrote:
Those plates float in a cage within the heater channel, removing the bottom plate of the heater channel will give you access to the plates. I cleaned up my plates when I worked on my heater channels, I'll see if I can find a photo.

Not sure if different years had different arrangements on the captive nut plate, but on supers the nut plate was in the front firewall. The pic below from Bugs'n'Pugs shows several layers of metal before you get to the captive nut plate. The first layer of metal is the framehead bottom plate. The next layer of metal to the left is the heater channel bottom plate. The next layer of metal under that, to the left, is the bottom of the front firewall. Then the captive nut plate sits inside that.

This pic shows the bottom of the front firewall with the framehead bottom plate, and the heater channel bottom plate cut away.

This was Bugs'n'Pugs front firewall thread discussing this. This thread really cleared up some things for me, as I'm making those captive nut plates right now for this job.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300571&highlight=front+firewall
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
cdog334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: frame head bolts Reply with quote

Thank to all for the information. I realize i will have to cut a slit to remove these floating nut plates. I was surprised how much my car resembled the pictures. I plan on getting some navel jelly to treat this area. The use some type of anti sieze to make it easier on the next guy.

I have found that htese are included with new heater channels.

Thank you to all who replied you have been a great help !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: