Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 VW 6V Brake lights
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1960Vert!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: 1960 VW 6V Brake lights Reply with quote

looking for help from the group. I have a 1960 BUG, 6V, with honeycomb single bulb (dual filament) lights and what looks like a 3 wire blinker column harness/switch. The blinkers and lights have been rewired slightly from original. PO installed separate brake lights on the bumper and wired directly from the master cylinder. all lights work, tail lights, blinkers, and then the separate brake lights. Question: How can I wire the brake lights back into the original style tail-lights? where should the brake light wire go to the original honeycomb lights? connected to the blinker wire in the back or tail-light wire in the back, or should the brake light wire from the brake master cylinder go back to the blinker relay switch somehow?

Thank you!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 VW 6V Brake lights Reply with quote

The most correct way is to find a 1960 - 1961 VW Beetle export signal switch. It is a 6 wire switch. That switch integrates the rear turn signals with the brake lights by turning off one side from the brake light power when it is instead connected to the turn signal circuit.

3 wire turn signal switches can be adapted to work, but they will require some circuitry to be added between your 3 wire turn signal switch and the tail light wiring. 2 or 4 relays can be used to convert your later 3 wire turn signal switch. 6-wire turn signal switches are harder to find, being used only 2 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1960Vert!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 VW 6V Brake lights Reply with quote

Do you know what relay and how to install the relay to incorporate the brake lights?
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 VW 6V Brake lights Reply with quote

I dont know if this will be any help to you but EVfun sent me this when i was having trouble with my switch. I think it might be the diagram for the three wire with relays ?
If you do search out another switch I dont think i would recommend the aftermarket 6 wire like i bought unless you find out they have been upgraded.
OEM is always better.

1960Vert!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 VW 6V Brake lights Reply with quote

Thanks. It makes some sense. I just need to find what relay I can buy/install that will take the turn signal and break light wires in and out to get the brake lights back to the snowflake bulbs with the 3 wire blinker harness.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 VW 6V Brake lights Reply with quote

That particular diagram is not mine, perhaps the creator will chime in. It is closely related to mine though.

I have a couple of different diagrams to convert the turn signals and brake lights. This first one I use on my beach buggy, except that I used 2 double pole double throw relays in place of 4 single pole double throw relays. This relay system can also combine front parking lights and turn signals at the same time as it combines rear brake lights and turn signals. If you don't want the parking light feature simply don't make the parking light connections.

This second one is simpler, requiring only 2 relays, but has the down side that you will have front brake lights too. I don't think there is any place where that is not allowed. I have used this in the past to run snowflake tail lights while looking for a good 6 wire turn signal switch. When drawing this up I left a couple labels out. "Brake" is from the brake light switch. The round thing is the flasher, 2 terminal style. The turn signal switch is the "left" and "right" and unlabeled center contacts just to the left of the flasher. "Dash" is the turn signal indicator light in a stock speedometer.

As far as what relays you will need to make any of these circuits, pretty much any 5 terminal 6 volt automotive relay will work. 4 terminal relays will not work.

EDIT: typo fixed

Last edited by EVfun on Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
1960Vert!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 VW 6V Brake lights Reply with quote

Thanks all for the information. The 4 relay setup and diagram seems like the way to go with the 3 wire turn signal switch I have versus original 6 wire switch. I also received some insight on the relay from one of the other folks on here a lot providing guidance. Here is the relay suggested below.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Industrial-Bosch-Styl...6288b68ca6
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 VW 6V Brake lights Reply with quote

You can get that relay direct from TEMCo for less and get free shipping.

https://temcoindustrial.com/6v-30-40-amp-bosch-style-s-relay-spdt-automotive/

If you think you'll need more than 6 of them for various projects, the Amazon price for 25 ($32.95) is a great deal ... comes to only $1.32 each. Great stocking stuffers fo all of your 6v friends! Laughing

I used this relay for a brake pedal switch I installed on my '63. Works great.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: