Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bus Limo Project- Need Motor Advice
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: VW Bus Limo Project- Need Motor Advice Reply with quote

We recently acquired this mutant VW vehicle. It was originally created as a mobile kitchen. At present, it is completely stripped out, motor included. It does have the tranny and the shift linkage still in place. I was told the creator of this had it running, and the plates are from 2002. Supposedly, he had a 2000cc VW engine in it. We are planning on making it into a limo/party bus and also have it convertible into an RV for our personal use. Our most debated and biggest challenge is which motor and tranny to use to handle the weight of 15-20 people. We would like to keep the engine in the rear if possible, but are not completely against moving it in front of the axels. I'd really like to get this part of the project done fully and right the first time, so that it is reliable and sufficient to travel with. Please share your knowledge and advice for this project. I know there is a million different ways this could be done. I've seen how these forums can go, so please only respond if you have valuable knowledge/experience to share. Thanks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sodakboy/5648113546/lightbox/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you plan on moving THAT with 15+ people, and being able to move it on a public street, small block chevy in the center with a custom doghouse that is a table (or whatever) auto trans (a 4 speed 700R4 would be nice) and put a good RV cam in the engine, you will need lots and lots of torque.

i think a healthy aircooled would last about 3 minutes in the bus as it is

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! sweet - you bought that thing.

looks good!

I think a VW engine will push it, but it wont push it fast. not for highway use.

If you get serious about getting this one the road keep this thread updated!

good luck man!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, it is not a VW bus even though it has parts from a VW bus in it. Nothing that VW made for their buses as to powerplants and suspensions will be able to help you. Go to a custom limo builder and ask them for recomendations. You will need to meet safety requirements of the limo industry to even get it insured. Most likely a chaufers license will be needed to drive it.

Maybe someone in the split forum would know who owns this and they can give you pointers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it sagging in the middle?
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh . . . Wow Shocked

Tell us a little about the rear wheel setup-- 1-drive / 1-drag?

I agree with skills, that it'll take more than an aircooled motor to push it. What's been done to the suspension? Looks kinda top heavy with all that extra metal up high, but I guess the 15~20 people seated low will act as ballast.

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a 6.2L Diesel in it......on second thought, don't listen to me, I don't know what I'm talking about. Just tell me what street you have that thing on so I can look at it. Very Happy
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something STRONG. I honestly think I've seen a photo of that before.

To be honest I'd put something watercooled in it. I think any ACVW motor would be suffering trying to push that around.
rovnrev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a BEAST! i think its time for a Subaru motor, turbo for sure. look at what the Baja and rail guys are doing for higher horse applications.
VW Fact #422: #1 on the 1965 VW dealer service checklist was "Avoid answering complaints with an off-hand: 'All VWs have that trouble". It's not true, and besides, small consolation to the owner."
78Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills has it right, but do the math, what's It weigh? Then figure the torque and HP to that, I saW one that had an olds 6 in it, but you can buy a brand new GM zetec engine in the crate for 5k , or pick up a used one from a salvage guy for a grand with 50k on it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that thing is huge, a V6 would do the work for sure, but an aircooled would not get that thing very far......way too much weight empty, then add all those heffers, yikes.......

Subaru is still on the light side if you ask me.......to make that thing fun, you need some serious HP........
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the stock brakes being adequate.

I can see the outside front tire rolling off the rim in a turn, then the whole abomination rolling over.

I can envision every insurance agent you meet coming up with a new way to say you are out of your mind

You would need a CDL to drive it with 15 or more passengers in it. If you had a CDL you would know not to drive it.

Put a diesel in it. Diesel fuel won't catch fire and burn your surviving passengers to death after it rolls.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was forced at gunpoint to work on that I'd put it on a Hino or Isuzu cabover truck chassis, I just don't think the bus suspension is going to do the job.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with bus daddy, stick it on a good truck chassis and then power it with a nice strong water cooled engine of some sort. You will have plenty of room in the back in that double sized fuel tank area for any engine you choose. You can strap the fuel tank underneath somehow.

I saw that bus around when it was first built but never got to look at it real close. Supposedly the engine it had was a top notch T1 build, but I have no idea how well it actually was able to push the bus. It was pretty frightening that all they had it sitting on were badly aged 185/70r14 or 185/75r14 tires.
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes 'too much' is just plain too much.

No way does that VW collage-mobile fit the concept of 'unibody construction'! Have to agree with the suggestions of truck chassis, diesel power, and mid-chassis engine placement. With those as a starting point, it could be interesting, to some people. Fender flares will be acceptable!

Burning Man... get ready!
68 Westy
(+ others)
Trailjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I had a picture of that...

Trailjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caption reads:

Just how many Volkswagen Buses died to make this stretched version, spotted recently in Stevenson? The owner was not around to say.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at a transplant engine, V-8 from a front wheel drive car. In the bigger is better an Olds or Caddy 455/500 would work? I am sure that a 350 would do it but ofcourse you need the whole suspension pulled over. The upside is the drivetrain is attached and an automatic trans can be cable controlled.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a 2.5 subaru turbo would do it with 002 gearing

not that you asked but safety issues compel me to mention that the roof add ons will make that real dangerously tippy in wind and on corners.

i also dont think it needs a truck chassis, but the human load will have to be limited to the rear half where there are 4 wheels and 4 torsion bars( i assume) offering support- unless the front beam was built up with some coilover spring improvisation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input! This car does appear as a complete abomination, but it is actually a legal modified vehicle in the state of Washington. I understand the concern, but the necessary precautions will be taken to make this a safe ride before it gets rolling. As far as insurance agents, much of my experience with them tells me if you can make it legal, you can get it insured. I am well aware that this is an uphill project, but to me nothing is better than envisioning something and then making it happen. And this thing will be driving soon, one way or another.

@chabanais the pics make it look like it's saggin, but it's just how the body is situated. Loading this we had to lift the front with a back hoe as we winched it onto the flatbed and seeing that i'd say it's bomber as it wasn't flexing as all.

@Klaussinator Yeah right now it is set up as the back rear axel as the drive axel and the other the drag.

@Trailjunkie Thanks for the pic! It's awesome to see this thing when it was fresher! If anyone else has info on it please do share, as we only know that it was made by a guy that owned a VW shop in Flagstaff. Not sure if it was made there, or in White Salmon, WA where we acquired it. The tabs are from '02, so that's when it was parked. They said he'd smoke the back tires in second with that bomber t1 motor, but that's empty or very little weight inside.

@sg kent I've tried and tried to find what engine that has in it, as it would be an excellent example to start off of. I'll start a tread in that forum, but if anyone reading this does know, please do fill us in.

@WestyPop you know this will see a burn real soon!

Thanks for the engine advice those of you that shared which builds you'd do. We have been debating getting a whole truck axel, tranny and engine and mounting it in the mid section. But if possible, we want to keep this on the same chassis as it was done quite well and we like the dual rear axel. This would be a excellent combination, but would break up the interior. We'd really like to make this happen using or modifying the rear compartment. The front wheel drive is another of our top options. We've considered diesels too for the added torque. I know it can be loud and crude, but how do you all feel about a Cummins 4BT? From what i've read on the other links, people don't prefer those over a tdi because they don't have as high of a top speed, but we don't plan on driving this fast. I think it'd be adequate torque and simple for us to work on. The more electronics we can avoid the better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: