Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Bus Limo Project- Need Motor Advice
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@vwlimoMB What do you have pushing your bus? or is it just a billboard like in the ad? I'd be interested to see how much you get for it. you might get a better resale if you change out that purple upholstery

@willardthebaja Thanks!

@Campin68 persistence. that's my best advice. and know you can do it all and find virtually any info you need on here. Good luck! do you have a thread?

1969 tin top bus photobooth

Previous: Orange '74 Westy pop-top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
martensmotorworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: tandem Reply with quote

hello how is the tandem rear done? im building a car hauler vw bay and am tryin to fgure out the best way to do it.
Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the best shot I had on my hard drive that i could locate. I didn't actually make the chassis, but they basically cut the axle out of a different bus (in my case you'd think the front bus, but it's not as the front is a 71 best i can tell and the drag axle has a tranny mount for type IV) and welded it in front the gas tank and pivot arm of the rear axle on the existing bus. The middle one was added in, as the rear engine compartment is stock. They used square metal tubing and welded the two sections together.

When i purchased the bus, the back sat way higher then the front. In december i lowered the middle axle by one notch, and it helped to level the bus. There's brakes to all six wheels, though, and since this axle isn't loaded very heavily, the brakes on this axle engage sooner. If I was you i'd think about installing air ride if you can afford it. I can't.

I can take more pictures for you up closer when i return to the states in the beginning of july if it'd still help you

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
martensmotorworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: tandem Reply with quote

hello

if you can take a few more pics it would be great.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWlimoMB wrote:
I have a limo bus , i actually posted it for sale yesterday in the classifieds .

Very cool, but you have to put a price on it, if you actually want to sell it.
I have always dreamed of owning a bus limo.

Vino wrote:
Also check out the website under construction I'm working on at
[url]vwlimobus.com[/url]

Nice start on the web site. You've got to get some pics in the gallery. You have many photos scattered around on the site -- you could at least put them in the web site's gallery section, too. I think more photos of the limo will help get people fired up to rent it.

I would suggest only that you clean up the language on the site. You have several grammatical errors that detract from the professional look. If you like, I volunteer to be a copyeditor for you, as I think you have a great thing going.

If you make enough money, perhaps you can put a Subaru engine in it.

As for heat, perhaps you could install some sort of gasoline heater.

For cooling, how about a roof-mounted AC or two (and maybe a generator somewhere to run them)? It's going to need it in the summer with all that glass. Tinting the windows will help a lot too, as well as contributing to the "cool limo" look.

Too bad I just scrapped a bus sunroof. You could have used that!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks for the advice. I've been meaning to go back over the website. The australians have been slaving me away down here. If you have nothing better to do then help me with my grammatical errors, then by all means please send me a pm with suggestions.

I actually cut the roof off a sunroof bus but it was rusted and would not of fit up there very well, even modified. The roof of my bus is a foot more narrow (3' instead of 4' regular). I'm debating a ragtop in the rear. The beetle has a small sunroof. There's a propex heater (2800) installed, which will be fine for cool evenings. I've retired the idea of using this thing in the winter.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did this guy end up at? Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: tandem Reply with quote

martensmotorworks wrote:

this.
I'm getting ideas on a 2x6 for the truck Think

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: tandem Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
martensmotorworks wrote:

this.
I'm getting ideas on a 2x6 for the truck Think

notchboy took quite a few at vintage a year or two back (actually, i took them for him...Razz ).....check his gallery?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona in the Badlands during a lightning storm. Pretty fun watching lightning storms with all the windows. Think it scared my girlfriend a little bit though. It was her first time in the Badlands, seeing the martian landscape lit only by nature's strobe.

Sorry it has been a while, busy summer. Finally built a shop for Fiona! The summer went great in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I've put just over 6000 miles on my 1904 built by Tim's ACVW, and it's actually running better than ever. Tuned it in earlier this summer with my friend Brian Errea and it's performing surprisingly well for the monumental task it's being asked to handle.

I ran tours in the bus, as well as limousine service, from mid-July until mid-October. Minus a couple of minor hick-ups (flipped pulley belt, busted header, and somehow a piece of rubber in a fuel line) the bus performed really well. Only on one 95 degree day in the open sun on a pass on the way to Devil's Tower did I get to the verge of overheating. It definitely got hot by the top, but quickly cooled on the descent. The Derale oil cooler is a savior. I've taken loads of 14 adults over 3 mile passes with the bus. I'm in second taking my time (i.e. 27 mph) but she cruises right up. Not saying I wouldn't like a diesel, but I'm sure the majority of the contributors in the first few pages of this thread would of laid all their money against it's ability to conquer mountains. And really when people are drinking and having a good time back there, they don't really want me to cruise any faster, nor can I without them spilling their drinks.

All in all Fiona's been an enjoyable time. I'm working out little kinks here and there, and making improvements. I'm planning to cut out the sunroof in the beetle as it drains out the front, but when I'm driving the wind blows the water back so it leaks some inside. I'm going to have a ragtop made for the space.

One of my last nights in Rapid City this summer I took a bunch of my friends around town in it. By midnight the posse grew to a staggering 21 people. Fortunately for Fiona is was short distances on flat land, but still I have to give her some props (especially in tolerating all the annoying drunks). I'm now back in Melbourne, Australia for the winter. I'll return to South Dakota mid-march when I'll resume business and work on a couple of late bay westie restorations i've started and a 1965 all original EZ camper I bought in WY on my way out of town.

Here's a link to a great writeup a fellow bus enthusiast did for a local paper titled "Get on the Bus":
http://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/article_5f6623f2-173b-11e4-bca1-001a4bcf887a.html

Thanks for all the support!
KQ

Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and as for all that "put in a diesel so when it rolls..." b.s. I recieved before, well here is a pic of one of the common tour routes I take, that has a 6 mile pass before a descent with several of these pigtail bridges....

I drove a stock 79 westy with bad shock to the tetons this summer, and I'd actually argue that my green ogre handles better. The tandem rear axles help immensely in the wind. Just my two cents, you'll never know cause you'll never be in her driver seat.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:
you'll never know cause you'll never be in her driver seat.

thank God. after seeing the photo of the tandem axle and the rusty underside of that girl I don't think I would want to be a passenger either

I am all for stuff like that, but there has to be a safer way....glad you're happy and it's working out

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pic was from when we first got the bus.

Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you prefer a single rear axle like the other buses of the same length? like the other green and white one

Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino wrote:

Here's a link to a great writeup a fellow bus enthusiast did for a local paper titled "Get on the Bus":
http://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/article_5f6623f2-173b-11e4-bca1-001a4bcf887a.html

Thanks for all the support!
KQ

Awesome story! I can't imagine how much work a restoration on something that size would be...
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad that things still going strong! cool your getting some use out of it Very Happy has it started to pay for itself yet?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Limo Project- Need Motor Advice Reply with quote

It seems this thing is still on the road! My uncle spotted it in South Dakota and sent me these two pics. May be kinda small due to being cell phone pics texted to me.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Vino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Limo Project- Need Motor Advice Reply with quote

Yes she's still going strong. I now have a 2332 in it built by a local engine builder here which moves it really well. I know many who commented on this post early won't believe it, but in the last four seasons running tours I've put close to 30,000 miles on this bus without any serious issues. I'm not saying she doesn't require a lot of maintenance or has never broken down, but they are just regular issues a normal bus requires.

If you want to see some photos from our tours check us out on Facebook or Instagram
@vwlimobus
Facebook: Fiona the DubBus

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Limo Project- Need Motor Advice Reply with quote

Very cool. I'm guessing my uncle was in a big Red Dodge pickup with Nebraska plates. May or may not have been transporting miniature donkeys!

I remember seeing this thread a few years ago and am glad that this limo bus is still on the road!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Bus Limo Project- Need Motor Advice Reply with quote

What the Shocked How did I miss this. Well done sir.

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: