Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
Reviving this thread, as I'm thinking about switching from an inline to an in-tank pump.

Two questions...
- Noise - I'm hoping that the submersible pump would be significantly quieter than the one under the sink. Is it the case?
- waterproofness... I haven't used the water system in my van yet, and so I'm unsure how the filling work - in particular how "it's full" works. I know it overflows from the outside, but the question is - will it overflow inside first if the cap isn't in place and tight. Measuring the height of both, it seems really close. Switching pump type would mean maing holes in the cap or the tank itself, and I want to know how good the seals need to be.

Jedi, if you happen to read this, do you have pictures of your conversion you can share?

Thanks,

JMR

(No pic of my setup, only found this one for the in-tank kind)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can hear the sub-pump working, I guess it's really not that loud but you know when it's
activated.

As far as filling the tank, your kitchen LED panel if working properly should let you know
when it's full. They don't always work great but will give you an idea how much is in it. If you
want to take the guess work out of it, fill from inside the van and see how far up the tank it gets.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

You can hear the sub-pump working, I guess it's really not that loud but you know when it's activated.

Well, the way you describe it, it sounds quiet. The way I'd describe mine would be that the guy two campsites away would hear it... Laughing

Timwhy wrote:

As far as filling the tank, your kitchen LED panel if working properly should let you know when it's full. They don't always work great but will give you an idea how much is in it. If you want to take the guess work out of it, fill from inside the van and see how far up the tank it gets.

My question wasn't clear, I guess. What I meant to ask was "if I fill the tank from the outside without the tank lid in place, and without paying attention, where will the water overflow first? At the fill port, outside, or at the lid, inside? But I think I'll just try it.

Thanks,

JMR
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
...What I meant to ask was "if I fill the tank from the outside without the tank lid in place, and without paying attention, where will the water overflow first? At the fill port, outside, or at the lid, inside? But I think I'll just try it.

If the lid and seals are secure and tight the outside will overflow but inside will be dry. But if a seal has failed or the lid is loose then she'll be taking on water like a submarine that's been hit.

I usually fill from the inside as I can get it really full - if I fill outside and rely on the green light it is okay but I probably stop a gallon or two short of full.

The submersible pump is audible but I would call it a 'hum' -- that guy in the next campsite will never hear it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
if I fill the tank from the outside without the tank lid in place, and without paying attention, where will the water overflow first?

Question: Why would you fill the tank from the outside with the tank lid off? Eh?

If you do fill it ^that way, water will indeed overflow from the lid opening and all over the inside of that cabinet. With the lid in place and the tank brim full, there's no other place for the water to go but back out the fill hose.

FWIW, my '90's tank has never leaked from the rubber grommets or lid, and I've had it brim full.

As for where to put the submersible pump wires: Not through the lid, but through the tank as Westfalia did with the later vans. In unscrewing the lid from my tank, I actually pull the level sensor wires first because they get all tangled up otherwise.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types Reply with quote

My tip to you on filling the tank is to go through the p.i.a. process of emptying the food bin, unscrewing the water tank top and then running your hose through the van into the tank. It usually takes two people to do this unless you have a shut-off valve right there at the hose end. Filling through the outside access point is asking for an overflow that will run behind the cabinets and lead to rust.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types Reply with quote

Thanks for the infos and tips folks, even if the question is over 4 years old Wink
Still useful, though, since I haven't done anything about it yet, and may come back to it... some day.

kamzcab86 wrote:
jmranger wrote:
if I fill the tank from the outside without the tank lid in place, and without paying attention, where will the water overflow first?

Question: Why would you fill the tank from the outside with the tank lid off? Eh?

I think my rationale was that if I was to convert from my current "under sink" pump to an "in tank" pump, I wasn't sure I'd be able to make water-tight seals on the new holes. So these holes would start to leak at roughly the same tank level than if the tank was left with the lid unscrewed. So it was more of a "mental experiment" than something I was planning to do.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
My tip to you on filling the tank is to go through the p.i.a. process of emptying the food bin, unscrewing the water tank top and then running your hose through the van into the tank. Filling through the outside access point is asking for an overflow that will run behind the cabinets and lead to rust.

An overflow will only occur if your seals aren't up to snuff. As said, my '90 tank has been brim full a couple of times now and has never leaked... YMMV.

I hate filling via the interior and only do it if absolutely necessary, but my van is equipped with the easier-to-use GoWesty hookup.

jmranger wrote:
Thanks for the infos and tips folks, even if the question is over 4 years old Wink

Better late than never.

2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

I hate filling via the interior and only do it if absolutely necessary, but my van is equipped with the easier-to-use GoWesty hookup.

Hehe, I've never filled from the outside and always fill from the inside. It seems so easy to me: get several gallons of bottled water from the store (two 5 gallon bottles if it's empty), bring 'em inside the van, have a seat, swing the table away, open the lid, remove a few items, unscrew the lid, pour water in. I've always done it this way.

Glad they built so it can be done either way. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Hehe, I've never filled from the outside and always fill from the inside. It seems so easy to me: get several gallons of bottled water from the store (two 5 gallon bottles if it's empty), bring 'em inside the van, have a seat, swing the table away, open the lid, remove a few items, unscrew the lid, pour water in. I've always done it this way.

For me, it's more complicated than ^that: Remove all the crap in the cabinet (it's filled at all times with games & misc. stuff), unscrew the two screws, remove plate, disconnect level sensor, unscrew lid, put level sensor/lid somewhere safe, get towel ready (just in case), fill tank with hose/bucket/bottle, replace lid, reconnect level sensor, replace plate, screw in the screws, put all the crap back in.

Or: Lift rear seat, grab hose, connect hose, turn water on, wait a couple minutes, turn water off, disconnect & drain hose, put hose back under rear seat.

Now you see why I prefer the latter fill method. Wink

jimf909 wrote:
Glad they built so it can be done either way. Very Happy

Absolutely. Use the technique that works best for you and your van.
Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
King Volcano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types Reply with quote

While working on my pump, I broke the elbow that connects the submerged pump through the tank to water line to the sink. I cannot find a replacement, but I may not be using the correct search terms. Bentley does not list a part number for it (that I can discern). Help?

Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types Reply with quote

Yeah, somebody should ID a replacement for this very unique part. The previous owner of my van must have washed the tank out with bleach or something. Fried that bit of plastic. Just dried up and got brittle. I've had all sorts of people say, "Oh, just go to home depot. They have all that." No. they don't. This is a really odd part that I've tried to source. Hey GW, you gots?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia sink water pumps: The pros & cons of both types Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the faucet in my '75 Westy. What am I missing?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: