Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pops out of 1st
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2055fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Pops out of 1st Reply with quote

Hey guys does any 1 know what would couse first gear to pop out Can some one help it's 64 thanks guys
jamesvw209
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your clutch may need adjusting. mine was popping out of second especially going down hill letting off the gas, tightened up the clutch and it does not do it anymore. is it hard to put in gear? does it grind putting it in reverse? these are signs of your clutch needing adjusting. just put the car on some jackstand get under the car and on your transmission theres a lever and on the lever is your clutch cable and wing nut you just adjust with your hand take some liquid wrench with you mine needed it.
2055fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude yea it does grind and all that I am going to do that tomorrow morning thanks for your help
jamesvw209
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya adjust it to where you are getting a half inch to an inch free play in your clutch pedal.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a transmission i'd say.
jamesvw209
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya of course you would say that everybody on here says the worst possible senario at first like ohh my car is idling wrong (oh no got replace the engine because the valves are stuck or some shit like that) my point being dont take everybodys opinion to heart on the samba cause some guys on here will tell you some crazy shit wrong with your car and you will go out buying new parts when all you needed to do was do a little adjusting, or timing or something really small and simple almost every case and senerio I have ran into was usually something easy or small.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popping out of gear can indicate that....

A. Your shift linkage is poorly adjusted thus not fully engaging and slipping out. Or coupler could be worn.

B. Worn internal transmission parts that need replacing

C. I've seen heavy shift knobs affect cars by falling out of gear

D. Clutch adjustment doesn't really factor in to staying in gear. It factors BIG time being able to get into gear fully. If your clutch isn't releasing you may not be fully engaging.

E. Worn transmission mounts or broken nose mount will adversely affect shifting and also popping out of gear.

Dave

Sent from my iPad

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: