Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noob to the scene, here's My 67 Standard...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Noob to the scene, here's My 67 Standard... Reply with quote

Well, I have been visiting and visiting the site for a few months, specially after I got my 67 Bus. I'm totally new to the Aircooled scene, but have always loved VW and specially VW Buses.
Here's the story. I real good friend of mine JohnERodz he lived across the street from me and bought a bug bout 7yrs ago. He started the rebuild process and I would see him working on it from time to time... He got real busy and had little time so he sold it...years passed and he moved from my neighborhood and so did I. Like a year ago i found out he went to go see the bug he sold and the guy he sold it to GAVE IT back to him cause he couldnt finish it either! So JohnERodz hauled it back and got serious with it!
Its been a 7yrs process with him restoring his bug on his days off from work.
One day JohnERodz calls me and tells me he's gonna go to Tallahasse to a friends place that has a lot of VWs and parts. So he goes and when he's there he spots the 67 Bus. He takes a picture and sends it to me and tells me that the owner is willing to sell it. When he told me the price I told him I would love to buy it but i told him I knew nothing bout VW's Aircooled.
Well JohnERodz has had bout 3 Bugs and is a professional welder (Welding Rodz Fabricators) and said that he would help me in putting this bus on the road again! So I got a trailer and headed 2 weeks later with my friend JohnERodz and my friend Steve to Tallahasse to get that bus in Jan, the weekend of my anniversary lol!
Here's the shot my friend JohnERodz sent me of the bus...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another pic of the bus where it was sitting since the 70's with the cargo doors open...

and then hauling it back to Orlando...
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to go see the bus, it had some cargo floor rust thru, it was missing the decklid, engine and the cargo doors were from a different bus and were pretty rotted at the bottom. The back part of it had dented corners, wrecked tail lights and no bumpers...and of course u can see some rust spots and slight patina (which i like a lot)The good was that it had all original glass, none broken or even cracked, uncut dash, speedo was there all the knobs and the tranny seemed to shift quite easy after sitting there for so long...SO even though i knew I had a lot of work ahead of me, I was till proud of it and hauled it home! Thanks to Grant and his buddy with the winch who helped us loading it to the trailer!, it was a 4.5 hour trip back home! Man I was loving it.
My plans were to store the bus until i finished working on my other VW (93 Corrado SLC) which basically all I been working on was polishing some BBS RS I bought to slap em on...BUT...lol I couldnt help it...I actually put the basically finished Rado on the back burner and began working on the bus...
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good start, there are alot of good threads on here of people fixing there busses. Might give you a idea of what to look for when you start working on it. Welcome to the bus world!
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually sat in my Bro in laws driveway since there are too many cars in mine and my garage is full as well... as soon as the second day it sat, people were already ringing my bro in laws bell asking to buy the bus! Very Happy
Rain was approaching so I needed to cover the bus, since the tires where flat, I had no compressor and i couldnt push the bus inside the garage! I bought a tarp and covered it so it would suffer more rain damage!
The I new i had to get it rolling and I saw an ad for some nice bus wheels here on the samba, so I bought them and slapped them on, so I can bring it inside!...

dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started researching this forum and site to see which way i wanted to go with this bus and I started to get my ideas together... I researched more and more and a lot of stuff was just mumlbe jumble to me cause I felt completely lost LOL but i started to catch on a bit... I knew that I wanted to lower the bus and I wanted to run it ratty style...cause well I also learned that to do a full resto would mean a lot of money and time and money lol...and i know that I dont have the knowledge and skills to pull off a full resto...Even with my friend JohnERodz, I knew I would have to do a lot of it by maself and well I know my limitations....
So my bro in law kinda got motivated after seeing it i his garage. He's a pretty good mechanic, but has never worked on Aircooled vehicles...but he told me he could help me do some resto work to get it on the road too...
After talkin to my friend Grant he told me he knew someone who could narrow the beam and his friend could do the spindles. So first things first, lets get that beam out...mind u, I have NEVER done this, neither had my bro in law, and JOhnERodz, well bugs only...so Noobs all the way...

Here's my bro in laws and JohnERodz with the cap

Old drums and brakes

dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the No DOugh Bus show here in Orange City and was able to pick up some Funky Green metal and a front bumper... also here on the samba I picked up some cargo doors that matched the patina just beautifully! almost looks like the original doors! (Thanks Paul) I also picked up a decklid which i have to get underneath the green paint cause there's some OG Pearl white underneath!
Getting the cargo doors on where a bit of a mission, with all the rust and years of sitting idle...on to the pics...
Old doors..

taking them out...

New doors!

Got one on!

And both on...finally!

believe me, getting these one were no ease task...Im a Noob, what can I say Very Happy
But things are starting to shape up!

dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so after seeing my doors I wanted to move on to the pop out windows...Most of the frames were pretty rotted in the bottoms...so i looked on here @ Samba and got some used frames in pretty good shape! I also ordered new seals from Wolfsbugs West for all the pop outs...
While that order came in, I sat and looked at the bus and started to hate seeing that spare tire mount in the front and the ugly green spray paint thats on the side as well!!! Evil or Very Mad Who the hell does that to a bus??? and for what??? (spray paint that is...but heck that spare tire thing is ungly as hell too!) So I said, let me clean up the bus a bit....here are before and after pics:
Bus side, 40 some odd years of grime and dirt piled up...

Same side, u can see both green circles Arghhhhh!

Check the windows out...grime!

So i cleaned the windows... Smile

ALso cleaned up one side with my Bro in law...Just used something called Lestoil, I'm From P.R. and they use that stuff a lot in the island to clean dirty and grimey stuff, worked well
sslosbergas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks very very nice,, have you tried taking the green paint off? try some CLR or oven cleaner should come rite off. good luck on the build! what are you doing motor wise
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sslosbergas I did try CLR and hit it real hard in the front of the bus and got it out! It also got out all the surface rust (patina) and left strokes of something someone must of brushed it with way back when.... I also took the spare tire mount and IM glad...i was debating on hitting the front with CLR cause i didnt know if i wanted to patina to go away but i did it and m not mad about it! Sorry bout the crappy cell phone pics! I'll post better ones by the weekend!
Half of the front cleaned with CLR, Lestoil and Scotch brite pad...

The whole front done, with the same as above and some degreaser in a spray bottle!

Here's a side shot...

This might sound a bit stupid but Im kinda leaving the engine for last, since im not doing a full resto but, I might start out with a 1600 Dual Port....I dont think I can afford anything more powerful, though I would like something a little more powerful....also being a noob and all! Sad
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The order from WW came in this past weekend so I decided to pull all the pop outs!...wow...that was no joke! I ended up drilling most of the frames out since I got all used but OG replacement frames....started to clean the windows and taking the crusty rubber out...
If any one can help me out (here comes a noob question...) the metal hinges that the frames are bolted on to are pretty stiff, meaning that they dont bend. (pop out motion) I have blasted those suckers with PB, but still are stiff as heck! Is that somewhat normal or Im I gonna have to do something else besides PB?
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see another bus hitting the streets in FL.

Can't wait see more pics of the progress. Blue Bus

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS BRETT! Cant wait till it hits the road!...
Well back up top with some more progress... My friend Grant hooked me up with a Bus Boy straight axel kit. Came with everything i need to lower this puppy, including an attached tranny and nose cone and rear drums. yeah Im pretty siked Very Happy . Im thinking tomorrow I will order lowered shocks for front and rear. I will also sand and spray all the drums and make them black and shiny! I will take pics of the above mentioned and bumpers today and post them Cool
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows of a decent place in the area that does sandblasting, let me know. M thinkin of getting it sandblasted...not sure yet, or just maybe underneath...
Thoughts, comments welcome!
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have posted this pic....I got these last Friday... Very Happy

I had bought some crows for the front and regular bus wheels for the back but...I figured a ratty wouldnt look to bad with some shiney...
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! NO ONE wants to chime in??? Shocked
guess this forum dont like noobs huh? Laughing must be...
ShadyOne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! I would love to find one in about that shape to play with. Whatever you do IF you ever decide to sell it, just be sure. They are def few and far between nowadays. I do not know what you paid but they are very very high around me.
dfusion001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shady, I got this for a steal i think! and the truth is that I've seen some that are in worse condition than mine,selling here for 2 or 3 times the price I got mine for! I mean I 've seen people here resurrect buses that are in real bad shape. Obviously they are well experienced but, i think this is a great one to start off...for me at least! Thanks!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see someone with no acvw experience taking a shot at it!

looks like she is cleaning up real nice, and yeah, the shiney will look good too!

keep up the good work man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, looks like a good project, you'll have fun with it for sure. It's gonna be a bit different than the watercooled scene, alot more purists here but just remember it's YOUR bus, do it they way you want. Sorry cant help with the pop out ?, never took any apart, but if ya search the forum I'll sure you'll find a thread or two on em. Anyway's, 93 'rado on bbs rs, nice, don't tell anyone but i like the water scene too. Good luck on the bus man! Oh, and welcome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: