Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to: Adding a Vanagon propane tank to a Bus (with pics). FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hurst_dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: How to: Adding a Vanagon propane tank to a Bus (with pics). FAQ Reply with quote

After using an Atwood Hydroflame furnace for the last few years in my Westy I finally got around to adding a second propane tank to my Bus to allow for longer camping sessions without having to leave for propane (or running out of gas in the middle of the night). I installed the Vanagon tank under the sliding door where my original tank was and I then moved my smaller tank over to the driver's side. I had to move the smaller tank to the driver's side so that I could clear the sink drain.

I found a used Vanagon propane tank in the classifieds for $135 shipped. Here it is compared to the stock Bus-era Westfalia tank:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I cleaned and painted both tanks since they were looking a little beat, though all the rust was superficial. Also in this pic is the extra large Bus Depot propane tank that my brother installed on his Vanagon Westy. I thought about using the extra larger tank as well but on a Bus the ground clearance would have been reduced to ~6 1/2" compared to a little over 8" for the stock tanks:

I removed the stock propane tank brackets from the crossmember under the floor and replaced them with 13" long 2" angle iron brackets (the vertical side of the angle iron has to be shaved to ~1 3/4" in order for it to fit snugly against the floor/crossmember). I used the existing holes to secure the new brackets:

Using 1 1/2", 5/16" thick angle iron I made a frame to mount the tank under the bus, the brackets on top are the 2" angle iron pieces from the above pic. I used only high-grade bolts throughout:

Once I had this constructed I just jacked the new tank into place and bolted it all together. I didn't take a pic as it looks just like the stock tank but a little longer. I tried to keep the tank as far front as possible to keep better ground clearance and weight distribution.

Now on to moving the stock tank to the driver's side...

I used a 1 1/2" x 3/4" galvanized elbow to divert the sink drain away from the tank. I then used a brass garden hose adapter and cap so that I can hook up a garden hose to run the waste water away from camp/into a bucket/etc. I wish I had done this modification earlier and it looks sharp too! Also, I installed the stock tank brackets on the crossmembers here. I enlarged one of the existing holes (look closely and you'll see them) and then drilled another hole nearer to the frame of the Bus. This allowed me to keep the tank from hitting the sink drain.

Then I just bolted the original tank in its new home:

Now for the propane connections...

Here's my original hose (about 5' long), notice the large crack in the nut!

I used new rubber lines from Camping World (~$30 total). The 6' line works perfectly bringing the propane over from the Vanagon tank to the Bus tank. The 3' line takes the propane from the brass tee to the inlet on the bottom of the Bus.

All lines use 3/8" flare fittings, but the old rubber line has a larger diameter (top) than the new line. This does not matter as I can still run both burners on high with the furnace blasting.

Here are the lines installed. The 6' lines comes from the bottom of the tee on the driver's side tank and runs inside a crossmember to the Vanagon tank on the passenger side. The 3' hose runs behind then over the tank and into the fitting in the floor of the Bus.

Here's a better pic. You can follow the 3' line's path here. You can also see the Vanagon propane tank under the passenger side in the background.

I now have a nice aux propane tank. I can either leave both tanks turned on while camping or just one at a time. I'll likely just open one at a time so I know when one tank is empty and I can just refill that one next time I'm passing through a town. Then I can alternate tanks without running out.

I hope this helps somebody thinking of doing this install. It took a few hours to do and a good bit of hardware from the local store. A nice grinder and drill help a good bit with the thick angle iron but otherwise I have no expertise in metal or gas work so anyone could do this.

~d
timo78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good work, and inspiring.
I want to re-work the propane lines in the bus and add hook ups to fuel an internal Mr Heather, and run an external BBQ.
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sticky worthy Cool
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
outrun1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on the sticky worthy...thats a sweet install...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugger101 wrote:
sticky worthy Cool

Add it to the Helpful Threads sticky.
The last thing we need is another sticky!
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
bugger101 wrote:
sticky worthy Cool

Add it to the Helpful Threads sticky.
The last thing we need is another sticky!

yea i meant the FAQ Embarassed

2010 ford focus
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work - good documentation
sticky it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info :0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality work - I like it! Good job man. I'll add this upgrade to the list...

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way what kind of paint did you use?

2010 ford focus
hurst_dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I power washed and scrubbed the tanks, then 1 coat of Rustoleum heavy rust primer then 2 coats of Rustoleum gloss black. All primer and paint was brushed on, no spray paint.

Thanks for the kind words all.

~d
1979westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, awesome work and a great idea! What a clean installation... Cool

1979 Deluxe Campmobile (quickly rusting away)
33K miles when bought, now at 61K
Proud Member #2 SBS (Stock Bus Society)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these tanks follow the 10 recertification deal. I think in Canada that every 10 years the BBQ tanks have to be recertified and stamped with a date.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the USA these tanks do NOT require recertification.
at best it's a visual from the propane filling technician.

they should be personally inspected and cleaned and rust proofed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwheil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great installation instructions. Here's some info about propane tank finishes I came across when I was refinishing mine. Interesting info.
http://www.propane101.com/propanetankcolor.htm
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things, one, consider an auto shift over valve, not sure how it would mount, but when one tank is empty, it will shift to second, there is a sight window that goes green to red, indicating the arrowed (manual lever), tank emptied. You switch to full tank, sight indie goes to green. These are ususally used on the 2 20# bottles.

Next, I was told tonight that next year it is illegal to refill a tank with no gauge. Anyone else hear this?

Also, the guy had trouble connecting up to tank, but then could not fill, he hit the lever, but nothing happened. I just filled fine a month ago??? It ran empty last weekend.

Lastly, great job!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Propane tank refill problem Reply with quote

First I would like to thank hurst_dave for the post.

Hi, I had this happen to on a 20 gal tank to. Took it to one place would not fill, the guy filling it had no answers. So I took it to another place, it filled ok. I mentioned this to someone later and they told me sometimes the float for the OPD overfill gets stuck or takes some time to settle if you turn the tank on its side. He said to hit the base on the ground with the tank in an upright position and it will fill. I did some research before posting and there seems to be a consensus on this.

The other problem a lot of people were experiencing with OPD valves is they have a safety check valve in the event a line breaks the rush of propane shuts the safety valve. If you open the valve up to fast and have no propane in the lines the safety valve closes and you get no flow. The remedy is to close the valve all the way and then just crack it open and give it some time to fill the lines. Then open it slowly.

One other thing is the valve handles get stuck. They recommended putting a few drops of oil on the threads of the valve to prevent this.

Some Refill places charge a tank charge what a rip. Ask if they charge by the tank or by the gallon before refilling.

I learned and confirmed on Blue Rhino's web site that since 2008. Exchange tanks are only being filled to 15lbs not 17lbs. Blue Rhino stated that they started doing this because of high fuel cost and it is the industries standard. So be aware you may not be getting a full tank with an exchange tank.

Hope this helps
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the VW Vehicle mounted tanks do not have an internal float (ala 20# and up OPD valves)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info, my original AW propane tank the back 2 brackets shoved between the frame and floor and the front 2 were bolted through the floor (on the passenger side).

It looks like with this mod it more secure, but less ground clearance.

I dont go off roading, at least not in my current camper Wink but something i have been conscious about, especially as i am currently looking for an under-body water tank as well as buying a new propane tank (as both of mine are apparently not useable Evil or Very Mad )

Is there any advantage to having it as hurst_dave installed it, I will look at mine and see if i can bring it close to the floor for more ground clearance....

Thanks for the detailed info and photos!
BusZilla II - articulated vw bus (yes she has 6 wheels) http://mutantbus.com
http://vwdreamer.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: