Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decline of The Big VW Shows: Where Have They Gone?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Decline of The Big VW Shows: Where Have They Gone? Reply with quote

It's official, I'm getting old. Maybe I've been asleep for 20 years and in some ways, I have. But what has happened to the attendance and overall participation at the VW events?

First, keep in mind that I haven't been to any of these events in 20 years--until recently. I recently attended a few events, combo drag racing and car shows. Both were well run, well organized and fun and I give them full credit. But attendance was really low. At one event, I bet I watched the same cars make 10-12 passes in time trials! Geez I remember the old California, Texas and Washington Bug events where the staging lanes looked like the 405 at rush hour they were so backed up. There are only a few classes now and it's easy to lose intrest and wander off. Same with the car show. Not a lot of cars, few classes the swap meets are more like "rust central". As far as vendor areas? Barren.

I am sad and sentimental. I grew up breathlessly gripping the chain link fence while enduring sunburn while a never ending string of 11 and 12 second VW's bounced their front ends down the 1/4 mile while Gene Berg patrolled the starting line in his scooter and not leaving until the King of the Hill was finished in the long shadows. Or wading through a carshow with more rolling stock than a Walmart parking lot on Saturday. Look, but please don't touch.

I miss real steel cars bouncing wheelies, ridiculous show cars lifted up with mirrors under them, Ms. Bug-In (pre-implants), engine blow contests, engine pull contests, the big yellow Berg truck, Dave Foltz, Dave Kawell, Dyno Don, the turbo bus, the turbo type III, Sonic Muffin, Roger Crawford, Johnny Hefler, Jim Sibley, Cory Mac, Raymond Canales, Scotty McManus, Loyd Mosher.....

I guess I am getting old. Driving back from the last Bug even my wife asked me why I looked so sad. I told her that she wouldn't understand and it went along with my decreasing hair, increasing waistline and wishing I was 19 again.
RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, like you said-20 years ago! Just 10 years ago I remember seeing early VWs rolling around town all the time! Now it's almost a mirage to see an aircooled VW on the road! The same goes for shows. The ones who are still involved with VWs are the diehards. Years ago people got involved with the shows because they owned a VW. Once they "graduated" from a VW, it's all history from there.
My 2.5 cents...

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch re-runs of , "The streets of san francisco" or "The Bullit". The surrounding cars are high in VW number.

By the same token, back in the 70's, the streets were filled with camaros, mustangs, darts, chevelles, fairlanes, and etc.

It's up to us to keep the vintage iron on the road. I'm doing my part.

Regards, Regis
78 Campr
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:

By the same token, back in the 70's, the streets were filled with camaros, mustangs, darts, chevelles, fairlanes, and etc.

Don't forget the Gremlins, the Pacers, the Pintos, the Chevettes-------
ah-just fond memories now. Crying or Very sad
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
regis101 wrote:

Don't forget the Gremlins, the Pacers, the Pintos, the Chevettes-------
ah-just fond memories now. Crying or Very sad

Laughing You are one sick puppy.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gremlins were in great demand because their front and rear fender have the perfect flare to add to any other pony type car. Just cut 'em out and pop-rivet them on. Add a little bondo. You do remember flared fenders, huh? Needed them beacuse it was the only way to stuff those enormous G-60 to N-50 Kelley Supercharger bias-ply 14" tires up under there.

What was the question?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to one of the last Bug-ins in Orange County in the early 80's. I remember the place was packed. I also remember my high school parking lot full of 60's and 70's beaters that us kids in the very early 80's had to drive. The lot was also full of old VW's (S. California). Of course today the H.S. lots are full of new or 1-2 years old max cars. Spoiled brats! Confused

I think many of us 40 somethings here are into these cars as a reminder of our youth. It brings us back to our first years of driving, memories of that time frame and the people in our lives. We don't see these cars on the road as much as many are now locked in our garages to only see the streets on nice weekends.

I think these cars are only now getting more respect from colectors and from people who didn't like them 20-30 years ago. We all drive our VW's now and hear the many great storys of when people had one back in the day and it's always fun to see the smiles on their faces as we go by.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 70's college parking lots in California were full of bugs. I remember looking for my yellow '71 in the dorm parking lot and trying to figure out which one of the six or seven identical ones was mine. Cool
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about attendance and cars? Rolling Eyes

SCS bikini contests, now THAT's where it was at!!!! Razz
wickedwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to remember the VW community is like a church. People fall away and then they come back to what they believe is right. So, welcome back to the VW sanctuary. The good thing is you only need forgiveness from yourself. Don't be discouraged, find the vehicle you like and go with it. Its about you and your attendance not evryone elses.

And now for a shameless plug. Embarassed We are having an engine blow right here in Yuma, Arizona at Volkswagens on the River 5 on November 11th. Sounds like you are in Southern California, we are only a few hours away Wink . There is a thread on this forum about this show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Decline of The Big VW Shows: Where Have They Gone? Reply with quote

henrym wrote:
It's official, I'm getting old. Maybe I've been asleep for 20 years and in some ways, I have. But what has happened to the attendance and overall participation at the VW events?

First, keep in mind that I haven't been to any of these events in 20 years--until recently. I recently attended a few events, combo drag racing and car shows. Both were well run, well organized and fun and I give them full credit. But attendance was really low. At one event, I bet I watched the same cars make 10-12 passes in time trials! Geez I remember the old California, Texas and Washington Bug events where the staging lanes looked like the 405 at rush hour they were so backed up. There are only a few classes now and it's easy to lose intrest and wander off. Same with the car show. Not a lot of cars, few classes the swap meets are more like "rust central". As far as vendor areas? Barren.

I am sad and sentimental. I grew up breathlessly gripping the chain link fence while enduring sunburn while a never ending string of 11 and 12 second VW's bounced their front ends down the 1/4 mile while Gene Berg patrolled the starting line in his scooter and not leaving until the King of the Hill was finished in the long shadows. Or wading through a carshow with more rolling stock than a Walmart parking lot on Saturday. Look, but please don't touch.

I miss real steel cars bouncing wheelies, ridiculous show cars lifted up with mirrors under them, Ms. Bug-In (pre-implants), engine blow contests, engine pull contests, the big yellow Berg truck, Dave Foltz, Dave Kawell, Dyno Don, the turbo bus, the turbo type III, Sonic Muffin, Roger Crawford, Johnny Hefler, Jim Sibley, Cory Mac, Raymond Canales, Scotty McManus, Loyd Mosher.....

I guess I am getting old. Driving back from the last Bug even my wife asked me why I looked so sad. I told her that she wouldn't understand and it went along with my decreasing hair, increasing waistline and wishing I was 19 again.

I think you are waaaaay out of touch. When's the last time you picked up a VW magazine? There are more VW shows today then there have ever been in past decades. Just take a look at the community option on this very forum.
The swap meet at the Bug-0-Rama stretches farther then ever.
The Racecars are faster, the technology is more advanced, and new records are being set on a regular basis. Todays racers are well known and have created their own history.
The VW club scene is strong with frequent cruise nights and meetings.
The stands may not be as packed as they once were in the 80's, but don't be fooled by going to one event in 20 years and mistakenly think the VW Scene is dead.
It is very alive and well. This packed and popular VW website you see now is just one of thousands across the globe. If you are indeed a VW enthusiast, get off your butt and get out there to experience it and enjoy it first hand.
I'm sure I'm more advanced in age then you are, but the big difference is I've been involved in the VW scene since it's infancy and never left.

SurfCityRacing wrote:
What's my muthafukinname? Bad Doggy Doo-ooo-oog!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Asunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some day VW bugs will be as rare as a Model T Ford.

We are not there yet, but certainly you don't see as many on the road as in the past. Nothing lasts forever...and you always see here on Samba basket cases or rusted out bugs being parted out. This can't go on forever.

People who have a fondness for these cars are becoming much more attentive..garaging them in the winter etc...and you see them at the yearly shows. It is the daily driver beat up cars you don't see any more on the road..they are no longer just an ordinary used car.
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your post which I enjoyed immensely and yes---I am waaaaaay out of touch. To give you an idea of how far, the last "Pro Sedan" i saw run was the R&R Machine car! Geez how things have changed. I have in fact read VW magazines recently, and managed to shake my "butt" (as you say it) to a few events. I have enjoyed them completely and am looking forward to going back out to the West Coast to see how things are looking. (your NASA group I have read up on and seems really great).

I agree with most of what you are saying. The internet has been a wonderful gift to this great hobby. And while I won't compare birthdates with you, I am old enough to be sentimental about the big days. I was a "VW head" back in the 70's and 80's and one day sold my last car and walked away. Totally. Now that I'm older, have some bucks in my pocket to afford what I please, I am diving back in with full relish. But after a few trips to California, going to some events and reading, it sure seems to not be the same it was back in it's power-heyday.

After I purchased my 67, I actually flew to L.A. one day and realizing my knowledge was "dated" so I spent the day just driving from VW place to VW place. Some like W. West sprouted up after I left the scene. Others like Berg which I had visited in the 80's shocked me with the downsizing of business. Same story at a lot of legacy places I went to.

The person who said that the cars are still there, just tucked away and not driven daily was spot-on. I am a prime example. Mine sits safely in a garage and is driven infrequently. I'm just enjoying ordering parts, fixing it up and enjoying it to no end.

In summary, I guess I'm still figuring out if I like the "new" scene. Things change as you get older. But I will take your advice and attend more quality events. Hoepfully you can keep your eyes out for me and show me your car!
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Spirit!
It takes us to be there to make the events big. Hope to meet you at the next event. Let's have cold one and talk about Mitch Evenson and that R&R Machine car (my all time favorite). I bet you have some great pics from "Back in the Day".

Best Wishes

-greg Cool

SurfCityRacing wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Greg let me tap your knowledge. My wife and I work for the airlines so we fly for free and it's no problem going anywhere. Given that, if you were in my shoes, what do you think are the best shows on the west coast that are "must see"? I like a nice combo of show and drags.

As far as pictures, you dont want to see mine. They were taken on a Kodak Instamatic in the late 70's and early 80's and i either smoked too much pot or drank too much Ranier as the quality is suspect. I grew up in Seattle so most of them are of the Muffin, Berg Black car (still my all time favorite), Brian Steele Small Car Performance, Gary Berg car, ones like that. Later I moved to Texas and ran my own lame excuse for a drag car and have lots of pics of the Hefler/Cherry, Canales, etc.

I appreciate your courtesy and help. I checked out your website and really enjoyed it. Let's keep in touch!
bad dog racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt, the VW Classic is the best collection of VW events held over a 5 day period. All in close proximity.
The Sacramento Bug-O-Rama's held over Memorial and Labor Day weekends are the world's longest running VW events. Record setting runs have been set there recently in more than one class. It typically brings out the current "Big Boys" like VW Paradise, the Eserini's, and all the PRA regulars including the largest gathering of Pro-Mod Cars.
Welcome back to the scene. I'll put a one of our T-shirts on hold for you.
Cool

SurfCityRacing wrote:
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Decline of The Big VW Shows: Where Have They Gone? Reply with quote

henrym wrote:
I miss real steel cars bouncing wheelies.

There is the Der Renn Kafer Cup (DRKC) class that the majority of these race cars are full steel bodied, full interior, and show quality, which adds to points in their division.
The DRKC can been seen at the Sacrmento Bug-O-Rama, Las Vegas Bug-In, Phoenix Bug-O-Rama, Hot VW's Drag Day, and a few other events I cannot remember.
More info for DRKC: http://www.bugin.com/drkc.htm

I too am 41 years young and seen the huge VW crowds back in the early 80s compared to now. But I'm still going to the Sacto BOR, VW Classic, Las Vegas Bug-In, Phoenix BOR, and the other smaller shows up/down the west coast.
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUG-IN 2008 will have all the old school feel you'll ever need.
Now if we can talk Rich into an engine pull and a BIKINI contest it will be just like the old days. The revival of BUG-IN 32 would have been Deja Vu for you.

One of the trends in todays VW world are bus related 2 and 3 day events. We've all grown up and slowed down, buses are the thing. Go some where, hang with a couple hundred people for a few days and talk about all the topics in this thread.

Come to Buses by the Bridge in January 2007 and all the talk of the old days abounds along with 300 plus buses all camping for 3 days. Hell you might run into some old buddys from the 80's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DraginInk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
BUG-IN 2008 will have all the old school feel you'll ever need.
Now if we can talk Rich into an engine pull and a BIKINI contest it will be just like the old days. The revival of BUG-IN 32 would have been Deja Vu for you.

One of the trends in todays VW world are bus related 2 and 3 day events. We've all grown up and slowed down, buses are the thing. Go some where, hang with a couple hundred people for a few days and talk about all the topics in this thread.

Come to Buses by the Bridge in January 2007 and all the talk of the old days abounds along with 300 plus buses all camping for 3 days. Hell you might run into some old buddys from the 80's

You forgot to mention the SLOW DRAGS, that's where it's at Wink

Aloha HBB & Mr. Wolfe
VWHoward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[
Come to Buses by the Bridge in January 2007 and all the talk of the old days abounds along with 300 plus buses all camping for 3 days. Hell you might run into some old buddys from the 80's[/quote]:[/quote]

SECOND THAT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: